Sponsored by:

Ignition Cables

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
There are many potential causes of random misfire codes. I had the same issue a while back, as have others.

Here is a good discussion https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post10813374

Since then, I have had my belts and flywheel replaced, as well as a top end, and have not had a misfire code and 5 or so years. I am still under the belief that multiple things can cause a misfire code, to be thrown, which makes it really tough to diagnose, but the entirety of the possible culprits are pretty well documented. (aren't these cars fun!!!)

I fully recommend the LWFW, unless you are really noise/rattle sensitive, (everyone has different needs/desires for their own car)

Good luck!

PS, while there are many parts that you can "skimp" on Belts and Ignition Cables (IMHO) are two that are worth spending money on. There are other trheads on the topic of Ignition cables, and I bleive age is more detrimental than mileage, as rubber insulation just dries out over time, although heat cycles will certianly expedite the process as well. common beleif is that the connectors generally do not fail, so you CAN save a bit of $$ by getting the wire kit, and re-using the connectors.
GBX,
In addition to kika's excellent post and link, I believe I may have stumbled across another potential for random misfire codes, that may bear investigation...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...edly-fail.html
Old 05-16-2019, 04:39 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There are many potential causes of random misfire codes. I had the same issue a while back, as have others.

Here is a good discussion https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post10813374

Since then, I have had my belts and flywheel replaced, as well as a top end, and have not had a misfire code and 5 or so years. I am still under the belief that multiple things can cause a misfire code, to be thrown, which makes it really tough to diagnose, but the entirety of the possible culprits are pretty well documented. (aren't these cars fun!!!)

I fully recommend the LWFW, unless you are really noise/rattle sensitive, (everyone has different needs/desires for their own car)

Good luck!

PS, while there are many parts that you can "skimp" on Belts and Ignition Cables (IMHO) are two that are worth spending money on. There are other trheads on the topic of Ignition cables, and I bleive age is more detrimental than mileage, as rubber insulation just dries out over time, although heat cycles will certianly expedite the process as well. common beleif is that the connectors generally do not fail, so you CAN save a bit of $$ by getting the wire kit, and re-using the connectors.
GBX,
In addition to kika's excellent post and link, I believe I may have stumbled across another potential for random misfires, that I have not seen, read or heard of previously. This may bear some investigation...
Please see the link provided in post # 5.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...edly-fail.html
Old 05-16-2019, 05:39 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

thanks guys. I did belts, plugs, caps and rotors last summer. Wires def show wear with some cracks and look to be original. Going to start there and see. Again, this is only happened a handful of time in the few years I've owned the car. Also, my misfires seems to already be in multiple cylinders, most recently 2, 4, 5 and 6. Not sure if that means anything.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
thanks guys. I did belts, plugs, caps and rotors last summer. Wires def show wear with some cracks and look to be original. Going to start there and see. Again, this is only happened a handful of time in the few years I've owned the car. Also, my misfires seems to already be in multiple cylinders, most recently 2, 4, 5 and 6. Not sure if that means anything.
Since 2-4-6 are on one bank and 5 is on the other, it probably points in certian directions more than others. There are tests to look for arcing of the wires, but if they are original, I would put money that those are at least part of the problem. I would recommend replacing the whole set, althgouh it is likely that some are probably fine, but at 20+ years old, they will be due soon.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:19 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Since 2-4-6 are on one bank and 5 is on the other, it probably points in certian directions more than others. There are tests to look for arcing of the wires, but if they are original, I would put money that those are at least part of the problem. I would recommend replacing the whole set, althgouh it is likely that some are probably fine, but at 20+ years old, they will be due soon.
Thanks. That’s the plan. Bought a full set. Will keep everyone posted.

Quick Reply: Ignition Cables