993 Forum 1995-1998

Ignition Cables

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 02:57 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Ignition Cables

What's everyone been using for these. I continue to get misfires occasionally and ignition cables are the only thing left that i haven't replaced. Got a quote from a deal and its 14 unique part numbers for over $1200 from Sonnen. 993-602-060-01 - 06; 11 - 16 and 07 & 08. I see Beru has a set for $450ish from various vendors. Is this what everyone goes with? Clewett engineering as well. What's recommended? Thanks!

Last edited by GBX; 05-12-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I changed mine last year from Beru to Beru, Hope you have small hands and universal joint wrists..
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

What you get from the Sonnen/Sunset are individual wires. Just get the Beru set which comes ready to plug n play.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:51 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Beru Ordered! Thanks.

Now the question is whether to send my mufflers to Darin for some Fister action while they are out for the wire install. Never ends. Hahaha.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:30 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

If you are getting non-cylinder specific misfire codes or multiple cylinder specific ones for multiple cylinders it is unlikely your wires. More likely a vacuum leak, rotor, cap, ignition coil, or some other centralized function that influences multiple cylinder ignition. If your wires are original and you have over 80K miles on them replacing them may be a good idea, I can only give anecdotal guidance in this regard. The reason the wires can be purchased individually is that if a cylinder-specific misfire is reoccurring on its own and the distributor belt and fuel supply has been ruled out as the root cause it is reasonable to replace just one wire. Also misfire codes are accumulative, if I start my car and do not blip the throttle it will settle down into a very slow and rough idle and on occasion throw a misfire code. After driving a while the code clears. In my case, I have elected not to address the code as I feel I have an understanding of its root cause and see no need to mess with it. Beru or Bosch branded aftermarket sets work fine. The terminations are a little different but they work fine even if mixing brands with the distributor cap.
Andy
Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Beru Ordered! Thanks.

Now the question is whether to send my mufflers to Darin for some Fister action while they are out for the wire install. Never ends. Hahaha.
I'm guessing you decided it's cheaper to keep her! Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Porsche...edirect=mobile
Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
If you are getting non-cylinder specific misfire codes or multiple cylinder specific ones for multiple cylinders it is unlikely your wires. More likely a vacuum leak, rotor, cap, ignition coil, or some other centralized function that influences multiple cylinder ignition. If your wires are original and you have over 80K miles on them replacing them may be a good idea, I can only give anecdotal guidance in this regard. The reason the wires can be purchased individually is that if a cylinder-specific misfire is reoccurring on its own and the distributor belt and fuel supply has been ruled out as the root cause it is reasonable to replace just one wire. Also misfire codes are accumulative, if I start my car and do not blip the throttle it will settle down into a very slow and rough idle and on occasion throw a misfire code. After driving a while the code clears. In my case, I have elected not to address the code as I feel I have an understanding of its root cause and see no need to mess with it. Beru or Bosch branded aftermarket sets work fine. The terminations are a little different but they work fine even if mixing brands with the distributor cap.
Andy
i did plugs, caps and rotors last summer hoping it would fix the misfires. It didn’t. My wires are showing wear. I believe they are original so worth replacing regardless IMO. I also plan to check for vacuum leaks as I agree, this could be the root cause.

Originally Posted by nine9six
I'm guessing you decided it's cheaper to keep her! Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Porsche...edirect=mobile
I did... for now 😀

this is is exactly what I ordered. Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts

HOW MANY MILES ON YOUR CAR?

Originally Posted by GBX
i did plugs, caps and rotors last summer hoping it would fix the misfires. It didn’t. My wires are showing wear. I believe they are original so worth replacing regardless IMO. I also plan to check for vacuum leaks as I agree, this could be the root cause.

I did... for now 😀

this is is exactly what I ordered. Thanks!!
Old 05-15-2019, 07:10 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abiazis
HOW MANY MILES ON YOUR CAR?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts

Thanks...I have 66k on mine and starting to show some wear due to age....got a quote $950 for plugs and wires....car is running great and plugs were last changed at 35k so they are due....
Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 85 Posts

if your flywheel is original, it might cause the misfire as mine did.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sacman
if your flywheel is original, it might cause the misfire as mine did.
Interesting. How do you diagnose?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:48 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 2,715 Posts

I’m guessing the misfire is via the crank position sensor with regard to a failing flywheel?

My car rattles a bit at shut down - but no rattle when I press the clutch while shutting down. I’m getting a new clutch and single weight flywheel. I have a theory that my dual mass is failing - will be interesting to see if that shutdown behavior correlates to a failed flywheel.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
I’m guessing the misfire is via the crank position sensor with regard to a failing flywheel?

My car rattles a bit at shut down - but no rattle when I press the clutch while shutting down. I’m getting a new clutch and single weight flywheel. I have a theory that my dual mass is failing - will be interesting to see if that shutdown behavior correlates to a failed flywheel.
keep us posted. would love an excuse to upgrade to a lwfw
Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

There are many potential causes of random misfire codes. I had the same issue a while back, as have others.

Here is a good discussion https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l#post10813374

Since then, I have had my belts and flywheel replaced, as well as a top end, and have not had a misfire code and 5 or so years. I am still under the belief that multiple things can cause a misfire code, to be thrown, which makes it really tough to diagnose, but the entirety of the possible culprits are pretty well documented. (aren't these cars fun!!!)

I fully recommend the LWFW, unless you are really noise/rattle sensitive, (everyone has different needs/desires for their own car)

Good luck!

PS, while there are many parts that you can "skimp" on Belts and Ignition Cables (IMHO) are two that are worth spending money on. There are other trheads on the topic of Ignition cables, and I bleive age is more detrimental than mileage, as rubber insulation just dries out over time, although heat cycles will certianly expedite the process as well. common beleif is that the connectors generally do not fail, so you CAN save a bit of $$ by getting the wire kit, and re-using the connectors.

Quick Reply: Ignition Cables