Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield squeak repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Pull the outer seal straight out from the glass. It is usually easiest to start at a corner. The inner side of the seal has a ridge sticking out... that ridge is seated in a channel within the plastic frame that goes all around the windshield. The new seal is just pressed in by hand. Start at the top center of the windshield and work your way around. Be careful not to stretch the new seal, or you'll end up with "extra" when you are done.

A couple of cautions...

If the old seal has been glued in or seems difficult to remove, you may want to stop and leave well enough alone (unless you are willing to replace the glass). The plastic frames are prone to cracking, in which case the channel may be damaged such that it no longer holds the seal in place. If this happens you have to replace the windshield, or try to glue the new seal in place.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
Any pics or tutorial on this??? I'd love to try this.
Ivan laid it out in his post - it's pretty straightforward. There is a little seam on the gasket/seal itself that I used to center on the windshield at the bottom. Otherwise pull the old one and reinstall. If it's never been replaced, it's going to be on there pretty tight. I used plastic trim removal levers to help. You have to push the new seal up into the channel at a slight angle with a bit of force to get it started. After that, it will run in. Pretty self explanatory once you see it yourself.

This was the thread I started on this -- I had to remove my trim because it the gasket/seal felt had turned into sandpaper and the the rubber had dried up into a sharp edge. It was literally cutting through my clear coat. There as a fair bit of dirt and crud underneath it, so I'm glad I did it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-question.html

Quick Reply: Windshield squeak repair