Sponsored by:

Mounting Kit for Garmin SP3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Labatt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mounting Kit for Garmin SP3?

Does anyone have a Garmin StreetPilot III mounted in their 993? There's not really enough room to use the beanbag mount on the dash, and I hesitate to put the adhesive disc down (and I don't know whether there would be enough room using that either). There are a number of aftermarket mounts available, and I'm just curious if anyone has had any success using one. If so, which brand/model, where did you mount it, did you use an external antenna and which one, and do you have any pics?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Chris:

I have the same Garmin unit and have used the bean bag but with the remote Garmin windshield antenna.

I nestle the bean bag next to the guage pod "hump" and the front windshield. Stays put nicely. I prefer the screen with the speedo / compass display.

My wish is for a cheaper way to direct wire the power instead of the cig. lighter. I have found that if you keep the Garmin on outside 12v, it cooks the AA batteries. ON the flip side, the AA are only good for about 7 hours.

I will try and take some pix of the setup. It may be that Garmin has changed the bean bag a little. Mine is two years old...

Regards
Old 06-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Labatt
Instructor

Hmm... my unit is about a year old. When I use the beanbag mount it slides all over the place. There are a number of other mounts available and I was thinking that would solve the issue. I'm going on vacation at the end of the month and I was hoping to use the P-Car, but I can't live without a GPS for long trips

I didn't realize about the batteries. I leave a set of batteries in my SP3, but always have it on 12v. The batteries are only used for firmware upgrades or the rare times I need to take it out of the vehicle.

By the way, <a href="http://www.ram-mount.com/" target="_blank">RAM</a> is supposedly a great company to purchase mounts from for GPS devices, phones, WinCE devices, and pretty much anything else you want to mount in a vehicle. Anyone have any experience using their stuff?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Chris:

Here's the experience I had with the AA batteries:

I was on a 14 hour rally and in about hour 9, I smelled that burned electrical smell. I had just done a bunch of stereo upgrades and thought the worst. Pulled over and started checking everything. Finally pulled the "milker" from the cig lighter and the Garmin went dead much faster than normal. The battery area was very hot. Pulled the batteries and voila, the smell.

Garmin tech support suggested using the rechargables. The only ones I have found for sustained rallies are true Ni-Cads...

On the bean bag stuff. My bean bag has sort of a swede like tacky cloth. It does not slide around much. Would not do an auto cross with it, but work fine even on the rallies.

2 cents.

Quick Reply: Mounting Kit for Garmin SP3?