Sponsored by:

First Porsche - 993 a good intro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 02:54 PM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
  • CV Boots may be torn and will need repair immediately as mentioned previously relative to axle damage
  • Odometer cog wheel which wears out quickly if original - I suspect some 993s indicate less mileage than actually driven. When prices were on the rise a few years back, people may have ignored that repair
  • A/C system as evaporators and valves wear out - $ 2500 repair for the whole system to be rebuilt
  • Steering rack leaks
  • Lower valve cover oil leaks
  • Chain cover gasket leaks
  • Check compression and leak-down in a PPI for top end rebuild possibility
  • Weather stripping starting to dry out or wear or tear off - door jams, door handle gaskets
  • Door checks being broken (clicking sound symptom) - $ 1500 job per door to fix correctly
  • If car has original shocks, it may be time for a change
  • Check tire dates on low mileage cars for tire rot, expiration dates - tires are usually good for 6 years
  • Ignition system - Spark plug wires and ignition coils usually at end of life
  • Minor but......rear fender guards - not costly but can be a PITA to change
))
This is an excellent list of 993 problems. We should all have this checklist in our glove compartments. Not costly relative to the car, but still things that need attention.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,503 Likes on 2,826 Posts

I would also pay particular attention to the corners of the windshield and back glass. Peak under the moulding for rust.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:31 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

I’ve been tracking my 993 since you could buy a well,sorted car for $25k. Other than an ocassiomal boot or bearing, it rarely needs significant repair. Air cooled cars were designed to last forever.
Just saying.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
I've owned seven Porsches, beginning in 1972, and my current 993 is my all-time favorite. I've had it 15 years, 50,000 miles, and I still find it exciting to own, drive, or just ogle. To top that off, it is an appreciating asset. It is a treat to drive, something special I look forward to. I've gone through seven new Mercedes (all leased) during recent years, and they're nice, but don't provide the true driving/ownership joy of the 993.

At 76, I still enjoy doing all the routine maintenance, including spark plug changes, which are not nearly as bad as some make out, but one does need correct tools. I also enjoy just looking at the engine, being able to inspect most everything by opening the lid. The Boxster I owned didn't invite looking, much less working on the engine, and depreciated at the speed of a falling anvil.

The 993 was a technological peak for Porsche. They went all in on this one. In addition to wonderful performance and a visceral driving experience, it has reasonable safety systems and decent AC.

Do yourself a favor and get a 993!
Hat's off Bobby I thought I was one of the oldies at 71 but the 993 keeps you young. I've had mine for 17yrs previously a 3.2 and I now have a 944 S2 a seriously underrated car. Like any good relationship you get back what you put in and the 993 has never let me down unlike some females I have met.

Quick Reply: First Porsche - 993 a good intro?