Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche - 993 a good intro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 06:24 PM
bliq00
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say a 996 or 997 is probably a safer way to jump into porsche ownership. for one, they're newer, for two, 993s are already expensive. you can get a sorted 996 for maybe $20k which will be faster, handle better, have more creature comforts, etc. you won'f feel bad if you get a dent, you probably won't have as much trouble finding parts, etc. For $35-40k you could probably get into a decent 997 with even more of what makes the 996 a good car, and objectively, better looks.

caymans and boxsters are also great but for me, t i felt like if you're going to buy your first porsche, just go with the icon. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "why did you buy a 911? you could have had a newer cayman!" Now that I've had a 911 though, the thought of a mid engined cayman S/R/GTS is intriguing...
Old 05-09-2019, 06:45 PM
destence
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 993 about five years ago. My concerns were very similar to yours. I am so glad I bought the car! I live in Austin and have performed all maintenance myself so far on my '96. If you'd like to give me a call would be happy to discuss my experience with you, just PM me.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:55 PM
mattg43
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike
Drive the Cayman. Drive a 993. They are very different cars.

At some point you’ll notice the rear grip and buy the 993...or you won’t and you’ll get the Cayman.

This review does a nice job summing it up (I know you said 987, but it still mostly applies):

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...911-carrera-s/

Why not buy both?

/
Dang it, that article pretty much hits the point home on why the Cayman is a car I want to own, and the 993 is a car I want to own forever.

Having thought about it, I guess I am really just scared to meet a hero, and an internal struggle where I hesitate to say I have "earned" the car. I am not following my hierarchy of cars, developing my driving, working up to the dream, if you will. I hate to get all sappy, as I dont generally get emotional about cars or have emotional attachments, give them names, etc.. They bring a great deal of joy, but they have a purpose and I enjoy them for the purpose. The idea of getting a 993 has me with actual feelings - I dont want to say "emotional", but the idea of having (in my opinion) the best version of the car I have loved for as long as I can remember makes me beyond happy, almost nervous.

Consider this thread as my gut-check that I am not being stupid in making the leap. This is not about practicality, about filling a need, about having a daily, or about showing off - just a desire, pure and simple.

With that said, if the truth is that everyone has that desire, and the reality of a Porsche is that I need to start off in the "shallow end" (without any disrespect to the people or the cars) of a more modern car to whet the appetite, it is absolutely a consideration. I just dont have that "rest of my life" feeling toward the newer cars, outside of a couple of the GT cars, and they are not in the budget I am willing to spend right now.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:01 PM
dantonio
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 125 Posts

Based on your further description of your desires, I think the 993 fits the bill. If you're just looking for a toy it cannot be beat. Sounds like you are ready for it - I would take the plunge and get the car you really want as opposed to "working your way up to it." I've never heard of anyone regretting their decision to get into a 993. It's something you'll be proud to own and will bring you joy for a long time.

I agree that the 996 and 997 would fill a similar role as the Cayman. Just something to enjoy for a few years then move on from, doubt you'd value it in the same way you would an air-cooled 911.

My personal feeling is that the 993 is one of the most desirable products Porsche has ever made. I considered all the newer options (991, GT4, etc) but never felt the same way about them.

I'm also a big BMW fan, owned a few, and current DD is an F80 M3. But my general feeling is that, while very good, this is also just another expendable commodity car. The earlier ones may be more "special", but if you've already assigned the 911 the top place in your hierarchy, just go for it :P
Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM
s4vant
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

my first porsche was a 993.
my second porsche was a 964.
my third porsche will most likely be older yet.

be handy with wrenching, or be close to a reputable indy/race shop, or both.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 442 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mattg43
In short, I think I am reasonably prepared for standard "older car" stuff, I believe I can handle most maintenance items, I just want to make sure that things like the valves or a top end are not going to end up being a recurring problem that needs addressed every other year
993s tend to be very reliable cars once you get them sorted out.

/
Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts

Quick notes here...I bought my 97 C4S Memorial Day weekend of 2010, it was a track appliance for the rennlister who previously owned it. I wanted a driver, paint work, and a dirty carfax didn’t scare me. That PO put almost $7k in the car in his short 500 miles of ownership...remember, this was a track appliance, and maintained by a VERY reputable shop.

Bought at 63k miles, rolling very near 120k these 9 years later. It was my DD in summer months for the first few years. Nothing but the basics, fluids, tires, plugs, filters, etc...until it was clutch time late last year. Enter the $9k engine out, while you were in there service. Yea I could have done a lot of it, valve cover gaskets, chain case gaskets, plug wires...but having a legend of a shop do the work, gave me peace of mind.

Many comments above have attempted to describe the allure of these cars, and honestly you either get it...or you don’t.

There is never a shortage in the market for available cars, lousy overpriced cars maybe...but there is always some out there. You’ve thrown a few options out there for what your interested in, to simply say “drive them all first” assumes that you can easily accomplish that without great effort. Each vintage of the 911 has its sweet spot when properly maintained, the look, the smell, the touch...and the drive, will define your search.

My 993 has my daughters name on it...she started in the rear seat, moved to the passenger front. Sunroof open, windows down, hill, lake, and reservoir blasts are etched in her mind. She is gaining confidence in the driver’s seat, and that grin on her face is most satisfying.

The love for an inanimate object is difficult to explain to those who have never experienced it...may you find that love kind sir.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:47 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,515 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Life is too short. You are young and if you are in the financial position to responsibly own your dream car, then do it. Don't wait.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:01 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Great input from everyone so far, honestly I think your more than ready for a 993. Reading your DIY skills, past experience owning and working on other German cars nothing will overly surprise you in terms of cost. You've already made the gradual progression.

If you came from only say Japanese ownership, then I'd say prepare to step it up significantly cause parts alone will be a serious cost adjustment.

Just get a solid PPI and enjoy it. These cars when taken care of are very reliable.

btw - that article was my friend's old midnight blue 993 C2S.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:04 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

good thread -- a lot of good advice already given

pls see my sig below, listed are cars i currently own (though i have been and will continue to cull the collection over time)

based on my personal experiences gathering and owning/driving those cars over time, not to mention others that are gone -- i would add the following:

-- if i could only own a single porsche as a fun car, it would be an air cooled -- a 964 or 993 c2 coupe manual -- full dose of old charm, feel, sounds but relatively modern conveniences, mechanical development, and performance level
-- if i could own just a second one, it would be a 997 gt3 -- modern super-car level of performance, street legal race car feel, but with still very high degree of connectivity - car still makes significant demands of the driver to drive at a serious pace

porsches are not cheap to own or maintain, older ones especially, but if you can work on them yourself some and buy a good one with the big stuff already done, the cost will not be exorbitant

the new cars go very fast with almost no effort nor skill needed from the driver up to 9/10ths, yet they feel quite disconnected -- even though you are at the wheel you somehow feel like a spectator.

new porsches engender respect and amazement from me, but not real, deep affection and connection

i wish you good luck with your decision
Old 05-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I love my 98 993S but can't keep the 2015 or 2016 boxster spyder of my mind and this is the time of year to sell.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:56 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 576 Posts

996 TTS would be awesome........
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 AM
mattg43
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me echo, some great info in the thread, and thank you all again! The real feedback helps with both my comfort on making a decision, as well as what to plan for, keep an eye on prior to PPI with records and checks, as well as working as a verification of some of my rationale, even if a forum dedicated to the exact idea may be a bit of an echo-chamber...

I appreciate the offers for consultation destence, and the anecdotes of the where/why/when you all made the decisions.

And with some of the lists of cars and experience I have seen through my browsing, and seeing many of you chime in, I appreciate the feedback on the quality of the car/choice from true enthusiast as well.

And Knight, tell your friend the car and color are amazing. I dont think it would sway me from my first color choice, but that is definitely in the list of secondary choices!
Old 05-10-2019, 09:50 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 310 Posts

For what it's worth, Focus on the mechanics, upkeep and history of the 993 first- then color. If you're insistent on Arctic Silver with Black sport seat interior ( for example) you'll be searching for that car for a long time and when you see it you better be ready to pay for it quickly. the rare colors, and popular colors do get a premium- but that won't solve the mechanical ( also read- expensive) issues. just my .02. There are plenty of people on here that have taken years to find the right car. It took me 4 + months, but I didn't care about color- although Arena Red is pretty freaking awesome! LOL!
Old 05-10-2019, 12:14 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I've owned seven Porsches, beginning in 1972, and my current 993 is my all-time favorite. I've had it 15 years, 50,000 miles, and I still find it exciting to own, drive, or just ogle. To top that off, it is an appreciating asset. It is a treat to drive, something special I look forward to. I've gone through seven new Mercedes (all leased) during recent years, and they're nice, but don't provide the true driving/ownership joy of the 993.

At 76, I still enjoy doing all the routine maintenance, including spark plug changes, which are not nearly as bad as some make out, but one does need correct tools. I also enjoy just looking at the engine, being able to inspect most everything by opening the lid. The Boxster I owned didn't invite looking, much less working on the engine, and depreciated at the speed of a falling anvil.

The 993 was a technological peak for Porsche. They went all in on this one. In addition to wonderful performance and a visceral driving experience, it has reasonable safety systems and decent AC.

Do yourself a favor and get a 993!

Quick Reply: First Porsche - 993 a good intro?