Sponsored by:

oil change kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 03:49 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default oil change kit

who do you go to for your 993 oil change kit?
the last one I used was the complete kit with all the filters for air, etc but this time I just want to do a normal oil service
the 2 main Porsche filters are easy to get but I see that some suggest the oil feed tube o-rings, new drain plugs etc, so whats the best kit for just the standard change?
Old 05-05-2019, 03:58 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

Pelican Parts
Old 05-06-2019, 12:07 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Pelican Parts
Retail plus, plus? Why?
Sunset or Suncoast, unless you want the Mahle aftermarket filter parts.
You don't need new drain plugs, just new crush washers. 20-25 ft lbs on the tank plug and not the 45 or whatever ridiculous ft lb., spec as stated in the repair shop manual. The aluminum bung is known to fracture when over torqued.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:38 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Roll your own, the two filters, the two crush-rings, the oil tank drain O-Ring.
Pelican has this stuff.

My thoughts on the subject:
  • The intervals for these items varies so I do not see the desirability of a "kit" unless there is a price saving;
  • The air filter is very long lasting if one looks into its housing and it appears clean I do not change it at oil changes;
  • I buy the crush rings bulk on eBay, one $10 purchase will last the life of the car;
  • The O-Ring for the return tube is not needed. It is generally understood the oil return tube need never be removed as it only drains a few ounces of oil and breaking the seal presents the potential for a future oil leak;
  • The oil tank drain O-ring is also a one-time bulk purchase for the life of the car on eBay;
  • There is no functional advantage to buying the Porsche branded oil filters, Porsche doesn't make oil filters and the benefit of even buying a premium aftermarket filter with extra internal valving is questionable on our dry sump system.
Other's thoughts?
Old 05-06-2019, 09:47 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Retail plus, plus? Why?
Sunset or Suncoast, unless you want the Mahle aftermarket filter parts.
You don't need new drain plugs, just new crush washers. 20-25 ft lbs on the tank plug and not the 45 or whatever ridiculous ft lb., spec as stated in the repair shop manual. The aluminum bung is known to fracture when over torqued.
just answered the question as some others have done...have bought stuff for last 20 years for my Porsches from Vertex, eBay, Suncoast, Sunset, Pelican depending on who has best price on new and rebuilt parts...
Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
  • There is no functional advantage to buying the Porsche branded oil filters, Porsche doesn't make oil filters and the benefit of even buying a premium aftermarket filter with extra internal valving is questionable on our dry sump system
If your 993 happens to sit for more than a few days on end, then you really do want an anti-siphoning valve in your engine mounted oil filter. This was always especially evident to 993TT owners that were incorrectly told by many that it was ok to use aftermarket filters. And then their turbos filled with oil... Regular 993s that sit without, end up smoking on startup. All to save $3???

Mahle now sells the LS-174 with/without it. Porsche may now even be selling both -03 (without) -05 (with).

Originally Posted by pp000830
Porsche doesn't make
but they do write specifications for those parts. And those tend to be completely ignored in the aftermarket. Remember the non-plunge proof Bosch O2 sensors that looked exactly those with the PAG symbol? The PAG symboled Textar T4045 labeled brake pads that aren't? The aftermarket OEM cooling fan belts, the aftermarket OEM dual-distributor belt, the aftermarket OEM seal-of-just-about-any-type? OEM labeled brake discs? And on-and-on. When it comes to aftermarket Porsche parts you can't generalize.

20-25 ft lbs on the tank plug and not the 45 or whatever ridiculous ft lb., spec as stated in the repair shop manual.

50Nm (37 ft-lbs)
Old 05-06-2019, 12:37 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
If your 993 happens to sit for more than a few days on end, then you really do want an anti-siphoning valve in your engine mounted oil filter. This was always especially evident to 993TT owners that were incorrectly told by many that it was ok to use aftermarket filters. And then their turbos filled with oil... Regular 993s that sit without, end up smoking on startup. All to save $3???

Mahle now sells the LS-174 with/without it. Porsche may now even be selling both -03 (without) -05 (with).

but they do write specifications for those parts. And those tend to be completely ignored in the aftermarket. Remember the non-plunge proof Bosch O2 sensors that looked exactly those with the PAG symbol? The PAG symboled Textar T4045 labeled brake pads that aren't? The aftermarket OEM cooling fan belts, the aftermarket OEM dual-distributor belt, the aftermarket OEM seal-of-just-about-any-type? OEM labeled brake discs? And on-and-on. When it comes to aftermarket Porsche parts you can't generalize
I respectfully disagree outside of some very few specific situations.

My career included being a Product Manager for OE & Aftermarket parts for a German tier 1 supply automotive manufacturer.
For me, this is a red pill - blue pill issue. What are known as service new parts sold through the OES (Dealer) network and parts sold through the WD (Warehouse Distributor) channel sourced from the same manufacturer are the same part. They are sourced through a completely different process than the original parts that went into the vehicle. This is because the car assembly manufacturer (Porsche) would hold their suppliers accountable to cover part or all of the cost of warranty related failures on their new vehicles. For this reason, intensive and continuous durability testing went on during the time the part was placed in current car model production.
Once the car is out of production the level of testing, if there is any, falls off dramatically and the tooling moves around to the lowest cost production site usually a third party in eastern Europe or in Asia.
At this point, the Porsche OES buys parts from whomever they can in the aftermarket for Porsche Branded parts the same channel the WD distributors do. The idea that somehow Porsche Engineers are somehow involved in specifying parts for a car out of the warranty period for over 10 years is a bit of a stretch. At best third-party manufacturers can request customer level drawings, not detailed ones, or certain specifications from Porsche for their design considerations. Interestingly enough in most cases, these drawings were originally authored by suppliers, not Porsche internal Engineering. Porsche may or may not provide them.

I would suggest the issues we see with parts show up in both channels of distribution including those related to the items you cite above.

Filters - I have personal experience buying Porsche branded filters for my Carrera w/o the valve present. It may be of value to purchase a filter with the valve, however, I have never seen research on this and both styles are available in the aftermarket as you note and I have observed.

Oxygen Sensors - Today Bosch supplies both channels, The markings are identical, and both work to the same design specification, that happens to be Bosch's design, not Porsche's

TEXTAR friction material - None of the friction material sold aftermarket in the US is of the same composition as in 993 production for EPA reasons. Friction manufacturers control the composition of the pad material and do limited testing for durability and noise in specific applications for current production calipers. 20 years on no one controls friction formula outside of the pad manufacturer. The only OE specification that is preserved in the long haul is the ISO/ASA backing plate and friction shape that is a publically published standard for all pads sold throughout the world.

Distributor belt - The belt material was changed to make it more durable as in resistant to Ozone. At this point, I have come to understand the issue has been addressed by the addition of the breather tube on the distributor. My understanding is that the ozone-resistant material is no longer available from any belt manufacturer and the venting of the distributor has eliminated the root cause of the need for the resistant material. Both channels of distribution use the same supplier(s) and the same material for our 20-year-old cars.
Andy

Old 05-06-2019, 12:46 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, done, just ordered from suncoast. as a side, whats up with this $16/liter oil? thats a pricey oil change

Old 05-06-2019, 03:08 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by friar93
OK, done, just ordered from suncoast. as a side, whats up with this $16/liter oil? thats a pricey oil change
My understanding is the cans make a really nifty decor addition to other Porsche Tequipment for folks that maintain Porsche shrine...err garage at home.
They can be refilled with Mobil 1 if one chooses to do, you know, one of those period-correct reenactments of an oil change again at a lower cost.
Andy
Old 05-06-2019, 04:53 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

A note on Porsche oil filters.
After the last oil change a horrible noise was coming from the tank area when cold, more than the usual gurgle, a fairly loud dull knocking which went away when warmed up. I dropped the engine last winter to cure a few oil leaks and other stuff to find that the large filter had fallen apart. The spring for the non return valve had broken. Still filtering but cold oil pressure was making it dance. now relaced with Mahle and all is quet. Previous oil was Mobil 10/40 semi now using Fuchs/Silkolene Titan race pro 10w/40 fully synthetic which has 1400 zdp. The race bit gets around the zdp emission restrictions. There was a TSB relating to the drainn plug:-
Attached Images
Old 05-06-2019, 05:17 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
just answered the question as some others have done...have bought stuff for last 20 years for my Porsches from Vertex, eBay, Suncoast, Sunset, Pelican depending on who has best price on new and rebuilt parts...
Sir, yes sir! Lol.
Step on a tender sensibility, did I?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I like this kit, because it gives me everything I need with one click: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...SABEgIxTvD_BwE
Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 PM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

FCP Euro - lifetime warranty on everything including oil changes. 100% legit - I've sent old oil/filters back and got credited.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...oly-kit-528995

$112.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 07C4S
FCP Euro - lifetime warranty on everything including oil changes. 100% legit - I've sent old oil/filters back and got credited.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...oly-kit-528995

$112.
This 993 kit has the wrong oil (0W40)
Old 05-07-2019, 11:13 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I’ve owned three air cooled 911s over the years and have always used Mahle oil filters. The one time I purchased Porsche oil filters for my 993 the little one ended up leaking. Went back to Mahle. Of course it’s a coincidence but for 17 years I’ve had good luck with Mahle filters.

Quick Reply: oil change kit