No immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 07:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default No immobilizer?

To return to the recent discussion about door locks... I'm beginning to believe that my car does not have an immobilizer.
The reasoning is as follows:
1. There is no door remote, although the remote operation is specifically described in my owner's manual and it's the recommended (nay, required) way to open and lock the doors.
2. There is supposed to be an immobilizer warning light inside the clock wnen key is turned to 1 or 2 position. My car doesn't have that light.
The car is a 2/94 built C2 cab. I'd like to find out if there is a way to tell whether I do have immobilizer and can buy a factory remote. This is somewhat strange, although nothing about German car susrprises me after the last 6.5 years of owning them.
TIA!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:19 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mike,

did you check for it under the passenger seat? it is approx. 4" x 4" metal with a wiring harness that goes into it. It would be near the amplifier under the seat. You can tell the amp is an amp because it has a nokia label on it (as i recall).

I used to have a '91 964 and it had it and my '95 993 has it. So I'm not sure where yours is? I think the alarm came on all the cars...

Cheers,
Boris
Old 02-07-2004, 08:13 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will take the seat out at some point to check (too cold here for that right now). I do have an alarm, complete with blinking red LEDs in the doors. I just don't think I have an immobilizer (as I understand they are different things, no?).
We'll see. It's just a curious thing.
BTW, I take it that you definitely have immobilizer but no remote? Perhaps it's possible to just order a remote from teh dealer, than?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:08 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike,

The immobilizer is the alarm. It is just the ignition kill portion of it (as I understand).

As far as just adding a remote - boy I would love to do that. If you figure that out please do let me know. I think you would need to buy an imobilizier that had the remote capability built into it. However, what I do not know is will the wiring harness be compatible with it? I think the best way to proceed is to find someone with a '95 car (like ours - OBDI) who has a factory remote on their car. We would need them to get us the part # of the immobizier and get a detailed picture. If it works, then I would order the immobilizer with remote as well. but it is not as simple as just adding a remote. i hope it is as simple as adding a remote & new immobilizer but i suspect it is not. If i was a betting man, i'd bet the harness is different.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 02-07-2004, 09:38 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

What perplexes me is that my owner's manual bluntly states that there is a remote and I should be locking and unlocking with remote no matter what. The manual is, as far as I know, original, came with the car. So...
I will investigate this further and should have the answer by early March (taking my car in on March 4th for some recall work and to hopefully address rust under warranty).
I have a feeling that:
1. Any car with immobilizer originally came with remote, period.
2. Not all cars had immobilizers.
I say this based on Audis that I was somewhat intimately familiar with. It'll be interesting to see just how wrong I am :-)
BTW, does your car show the immobilizer warning light inside the clock when you turn the key?
Old 02-07-2004, 10:13 PM
sv
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 95 Cab with the remote alarm and immobilizer (factory).
And yes the warning light inside the clock does come on when the immobilizer is armed.
If you guys don’t mind waiting about a month I’ll pull the seat and check the part number. Mike said it, its cold.
Also the cars on jacks waiting for the front bumper to come back from the body shop (euro look, & RS splitters).
Old 02-07-2004, 10:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sonny, we are close neighbors, I live in Framingham :-)
When you do decide to look at your immobilizer, give me a holler and I could stop by and help. If you need help with anything else, let me know too. I have done some light wrenching, although never on a P-car.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:20 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

sonny, thanks for helping us out. i'm enthusiastic that we can get something to work. i always thought that the '95 cars didn't come with a remote. and the '96+ cars supposedly have a different harness (as i was told by a p-car dealer). In any case, perhaps we can retrofit it into our cars....

cheers,
boris
Old 02-07-2004, 11:24 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boris, I'm curious if you have the owner's manual and if yours has the same drivel about remote as mine does on pages 20-21? Also, what is your production date?
One more question. What is the brace you're bidding on? Is it the lower brace in the front trunk? If so, does your car not have it (I have to check mine)?

Last edited by nile13; 02-08-2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:52 AM
RRLOwen
Instructor

I have just been checking out the option codes on my car. I identify all except 718.
There is no option shown for remote locking or immobilizer, and my car has remote locking (and I think immobilizer, although I haven't checked yet) which makes me think that it is not an option.
The only other possibility is that the PO added remote - that's a good possibility, i guess because the name on the remote says UNGO. Is that an after market supplier?
ROwen
Old 02-08-2004, 01:58 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 60 Posts

Ungo is aftermarket.

Just curious, do the '95 cars with the factory immobilizer have the "Drive-Block" sticker on the rear quarter windows like the later cars?? inquiring minds..
Old 02-08-2004, 02:46 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't know if this helps....
My '96 has the remote and immobilizer, with the warning light in the clock. Sometimes when I jump in and try to start my car, after I've used the remote to unlock the doors, I turn the key in the ignition,and the starter doesn't kick. I have to hit the remote again, to turn off the immobilizer, and then it starts right up. Also that turns out the light on the clock.

also, my car came with the switchblade key (Remote/key combo, with flip-out key). This setup truly sucks, so I went to the dealer and bought a new, stand alone remote for $115. The service dept programmed it for me on the spot. Now I've a new streamlined remote.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:35 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

mike,

i went back and looked at the auction in more detail - the person is not describing it correctly. the pictures didn't come up originally and i thought it was a strut brace. in reality i think it is a steering rack brace if you put 18" wheels on your car. but to be sure i would look up the part #.

cheers,
boris
Old 02-08-2004, 03:28 PM
speedster 94
Instructor

hallo
The immobilizer Box is under the DRIVER seat beside the Motronic . It is a black Plastic Box with a white Sticker and from 96 with a yellow sticker .
From up 96 there is a complete Cover over both Boxes ( motronic and IMB)
The silver Box under the passenger seat is the Brain for the ALARM and Central locking system and has nothing to do with the Imobilizer .Not all Cars have IMB , it depends on the Country Option .
harald
Old 02-08-2004, 05:03 PM
sv
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds great Mike, I’ll PM you soon and we can check it out.
My option code sticker has option 530, which I believe is key less entry.

I think my car was build 3/95 (on the door side).

Max my car does have the “Porsche Driver Block” sticker on the front triangle window (it’s a cab).

Quick Reply: No immobilizer?