Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

No immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 05:04 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harald is right--the "immobilizer" is under the driver's seat. Mike, you may have the manual from the wrong year for your car. My manual for the '95 doesn't have anything in it on the immobilizer--I went to the garage and looked at the pages you mentioned. The '95's have an alarm and the blinking red lights, but they don't have the remote or "immobilizer"/drive block of the later cars. And Max, there is no drive block sticker on the '95's.

As for adding an immobilizer to a '95, I don't think this is possible b/c the immobilizer is tied to the engine computer. You would have to have the '95 engine computer reprogrammed, and since there is probably nobody in the world who has done this reprogramming because it is a ridiculous idea just for the sake of getting the remote. You are better off just getting an aftermarket remote.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:20 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Harry, what you are saying makes sense to me. Boris, however, has a '95 _with_ immobilizer, apparently, but no remote.
Can you do me a favor? Look at your owner's manual page 2 and tell me what numbers you see at the left top corner. I'm almost certain that my book is from a wrong car as it says 12/94 and the car was built 2/94. Than again, these are ze Germans. I have been convinced for years now that they use whatever parts that happen to be laying next to the assembly line on a given day.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:46 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

mike,

quick disclaimer - on the 964 it was under the passenger seat. on the 993 i haven't mucked with it - so it could very likely be under the driver's seat.

i'll post my part # and i'll very i have the IMB.

cheers,
boris
Old 02-08-2004, 10:12 PM
hdemas
Instructor

Mike:

My book is dated 1/94. My car I know was an early '95. It is possible that Boris has a later '95 and that they did put an immobilizer on it. However, my understanding of how the '96 and later immobilizer/drive blocks work is that you have to have the remote as unless the remote is used the car won't start. Hence, if Boris has an immobilizer that doesn't have a remote, I'm at a loss as to what it is, but it isn't the same thing as '96 and later cars have.

Harry
Old 02-08-2004, 10:16 PM
hdemas
Instructor

I should also add in response to Boris' post, I didn't think any 964's had immobilizers. The first year that an immobilizer was used I thought was '96.

You don't want to mess around with trying to add it as you need different wiring harnesses of all sorts (engine, passenger compartment, etc.), different engine computers (the '96's are designed to only run with the immobilizer, and won't run without it unless you reprogram it out), and in turn a whole different engine (a '96 or later varioram motor that works the the '96 computer).
Old 02-08-2004, 10:38 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

harry,

i'm now entirely not sure about the IMB. i always thought an alarm=IMB, but for reading this forum - i now know they are different. is it true that an IMB=ignition kill? i remember doing some testing on my old 964 and i distinctly remember it having ignition kill capability.

can you shed some light on this....

btw, as a sidenote, did you see the new point based system for GGR? i'm totalling up 530 points at the moment - what are you?

Cheers,
Boris
Old 02-09-2004, 12:01 AM
hdemas
Instructor

I'm not sure what sort of ignition kill the 964 would have had. I don't think the alarm on my '95 993 is anything more than just an alarm. They added the immobilizer in '96 to address theft issues with the cars, and it is one of the obtrusive systems. The immobilizer unit is basically a radio unit that corresponds with the remote, and then sends a coded message to the engine computer telling it that it can start. The immobilizer and engine computer are programmed such that the engine computer will only work with a certain code, and the immobilizer is programmed to provide that exact code, and the engine computer won't work unless it gets the code that it was programmed for.

Did your 964 have a remote? It is possible they did an earlier ignition kill system on those cars, but I just don't know enough about the 964's to say.

On a side note, I'll go add up the points now.

Harry
Old 02-09-2004, 01:01 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

harry,

the 964 did not have a remote. i installed an alpine alarm, in reality i just tapped into the alarm unit to have it lock/unlock the doors. i got it working 90% - everything worked except the LEDs in the door wouldn't light anymore.

i'm with mike in having a keyless entry. i just want to find a way to do it that doesn't screw up the existing system. perhaps i should retry as it may be different on a 993. shouldn't take too long to poke around and give it a shot. hmmm... sounds like a fun project.

cheers,
boris
Old 02-09-2004, 01:20 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am currently in the process of trying to tap into the lock switch on center panel. I'm hoping to get the wiring diagrams, but for now I think I know how it's wired (well, kind of, pins 1 and 6 get shorted when the switch is pressed, but there's also a wire going to pin 5 and I don't know what it's doing). If anyone has a diagram they could scan and email, that would be great!
It's too cold here to do anything and I spent the entire day trying to race on an ice lake. So the project is to be addressed early next week.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:41 AM
davedelatte
Intermediate

I am starting to feel happy that I dont have the immobilizer (95) if this thing can cause you to be stranded.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:57 PM
sv
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Boris and Mike I noticed this on eBay not sure if its part of the project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33720

Mike you have a PM
Old 02-09-2004, 10:50 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike,

ok i asked a friend who was helping me do this last time and here is what we remembered in doing this on the 964. as you are trying to get this to work i thought i would share albeit incomplete. When using the lock/unlock button (which is a momentary switch as i recall) it triggers a ground on two wires. The problem was that the grounding pulse was soo quick that the alarm didn't pick it up and so it was a bit flakey. it turned out that it worked 90% of the time, which was unacceptable to me.

hope that helps.... i think i have the wiring diagram if you want it i can look it up and scan it.

cheers,
boris
Old 02-09-2004, 11:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boris, if you scan and email it to me, it would be great. In return I promise to share what I find out, even if it's just smoke escaping from expensive components :-)
I don't see a big problem with simply building an electronic latch for the signal and setting it for whatever timing duration is needed.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:58 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

mike, now that i think about it if i were smarter a couple years ago I would have used a grounding relay. i think that would actually fix the problem. i will scan the page and send it to you in email...

cheers,
boris

Quick Reply: No immobilizer?