Sponsored by:

Help with centering bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:17 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Help with centering bucket seats

I picked up some euro gt3 seats a while back and finally got around to install them. As a side note, while my soft back sport seats are really comfortable and supportive, for my body shape these gt3 seats are comparable!

I used Recaro sliders and planted sides instead of modifying the stock 996 sliders and sides.

What I found is that the seat is slightly off center and closer to the driver door jamb. Here are some pics as you can see there is some space on the tunnel compared with my sport seat which is still on the passenger side.

In this current setup my arms are slightly pointing right when I grip the wheel.

My sides are square and don't have much adjustment to move the seat closer to the tunnel.

I looked at the stock 996 sides and noticed the sides are slightly off center which would correct this issue.

Any suggeations to improve?
Attached Images    
Old 01-19-2019, 10:59 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Is this something you notice while driving or just a visual observation as the offset seems quits small.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:58 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

It is is enough off center for my right shoulder to feel it.

Removing the seat out and see if I can offset the tunnel side closer to the tunnel...
Old 01-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Did you measure the attachment points on the seats to make sure they're 100% even? Also, your sliders and side panels are 100% square? As I PM'd, I bolted mine up with zero issues.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:15 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
I picked up some euro gt3 seats a while back and finally got around to install them. As a side note, while my soft back sport seats are really comfortable and supportive, for my body shape these gt3 seats are comparable!

I used Recaro sliders and planted sides instead of modifying the stock 996 sliders and sides.

What I found is that the seat is slightly off center and closer to the driver door jamb. Here are some pics as you can see there is some space on the tunnel compared with my sport seat which is still on the passenger side.

In this current setup my arms are slightly pointing right when I grip the wheel.

My sides are square and don't have much adjustment to move the seat closer to the tunnel.

I looked at the stock 996 sides and noticed the sides are slightly off center which would correct this issue.

Any suggeations to improve?
I noticed this even with the stock standard 993 seats.

I've got Recaro Pole Positions with the Recaro sliders and Alum. sides. The right side of the driver's seat is close up against the center tunnel so there's just barely enough room for the stock seatbelt receptacle strap to fit, and the steering wheel is still off to the right.

Just figured this was a Porsche 993 "Feature" along with the pedals being offset to the right. Can't remember where I saw this; " How do you recognize a 993 driver ? Their hips are offset to the right !"

There are spacers between my Pole Position seats and the Recaro sides.

I wonder if you could spacer your seat to the right with different sides? Maybe that would help a little?

Last edited by AX993; 01-20-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:21 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Did you measure the attachment points on the seats to make sure they're 100% even? Also, your sliders and side panels are 100% square? As I PM'd, I bolted mine up with zero issues.
Yes made sure when I drilled extra holes in my Recaro sliders they are centered and with a drlll press. Mounted the Planted sides square to the Recaro sliders and the Recaro sliders square with the mount points on the car tub.

Originally Posted by glenn '88 944S
I noticed this even with the stock standard 993 seats.

I've got Recaro Pole Positions with the Recaro sliders and Alum. sides. The right side of the driver's seat is close up against the center tunnel so there's just barely enough room for the stock seatbelt receptacle strap to fit, and the steering wheel is still off to the right.

Just figured this was a Porsche 993 "Feature" along with the pedals being offset to the right. Can't remember where I saw this; " How do you recognize a 993 driver ? Their hips are offset to the right !"

There are spacers between my Pole Position seats and the Recaro sides.

I wonder if you could spacer your seat to the right with different sides? Maybe that would help a little?
That is a great solution. Did not thick about putting some thick washers on the door jam side and then move the tunnel side closer to the tunnel an equal amount. Thanks!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:33 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

It is a well known fact that the standard drivers seat in the 993s are slightly off center relelative to the steering wheel.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Yes made sure when I drilled extra holes in my Recaro sliders they are centered and with a drlll press. Mounted the Planted sides square to the Recaro sliders and the Recaro sliders square with the mount points on the car tub.

That is a great solution. Did not thick about putting some thick washers on the door jam side and then move the tunnel side closer to the tunnel an equal amount. Thanks!
Was just thinking this over, and this would probably only work if there is enough space between the sides and the seat while keeping the sides and sliders square to the car's mounting points. Otherwise the sliders will bind making the seat hard or impossible to move. Maybe different sides (different brand) will offer more leeway for spacers with your seats. But how to know which brand is the problem. So.... maybe I didn't have such a good idea.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:10 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Most cars I've replaced seats in, at least staring in the 80s and through 2000s, have their seats offset. They play a cute game where the seat is mounted slightly angled "in" so you feel that middle of your chest loos directly at the middle of the steering wheel. But once an aftermarket seat is mounted... the mount manufacturers make mounts straight and square. The seats end up a an inch or two to the left, hands are oddly cocked to the right and ACD becomes a good excuse for being slow on the track.

I play odd games with spacers sometimes, but this is one of the things I hate about installing aftermarket seats.

Quick Reply: Help with centering bucket seats