993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:47 PM
EduardoForesti
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping

1997 993, 6sp, 100K miles. Purchased in 2010 with 70K Miles. Records show clutch was replaced at 35K. At least half of last 30K miles were "in-town" (i.e., not long highway rides).
  • Out of the blue I can feel the clutch slipping (e.g., if I hit the gas in 3rd, it revs for a bit until the clutch 'connects').
  • Humbly, I can tell you the passenger side lower valve covers leak, big time, on the back side (closer to transmission than bumper) of lower left side (and I'm sure if something else can be leaking oil in that area, it is too).
  • I had the brake fluid bled/changed years ago. I've never bled/changed the fluid in the clutch's hydraulic system.
  • The clutch pedal feels like it at the same stiffness as it has been since I bought it (to the best of my thinking) and it returns fine.
  • In reading posts, there is SOME chance that engine oil seeped on to the clutch and is causing this.
  • I really don't want to install a new clutch (but, I will get the valve cover gaskets fixed, finally -- they leak on the exhaust so it isn't just 'stains on the driveway'...it's a smoker..)
My questions:
  • Is there a way to diagnose this - without a ton of breakdown - to confirm it isn't related the clutch fluid system OR engine oil creeping its way to the clutch OR something other than the clutch failing?
  • Is there a way to assess the remaining life on the clutch?
Thank you for your patience and any help you can provide.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Given 65K miles on the clutch and the fact that it is already slipping, I'd say chances are real strong that it's time for a new one.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:40 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Agreed. Sounds like it's time for a new clutch and the rest of the "while you're in there" issues you have.

2 posts in 8 years, you must be the quiet type!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 449 Posts

Unless someone really abused the clutch, my previous car now has over 186,000 miles on it, with the factory installed clutch. Almost all of it city driving.

Any oil at the engine-transmission mating surface at the bottom?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:11 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts

With a slipping clutch any fix will involve an internal inspection of the clutch and in most cases it will involve replacing some or all of the clutch package components.
On the upside, one need not "drop" the engine on a 993 to remove the transmission and service the clutch, flywheel or power steering belt saving a lot of labor charges at most shops.
Andy
Old 01-09-2019, 02:04 PM
EduardoForesti
Intermediate

Yes, there is definitely oil in that area. Need to see from where else it may be coming from (pretty sure there is some leaking at the timing cover).
That being said, is there a way to diagnose this situation without tear down (i.e., I know I should bleed the clutch system and replace gaskets, but if I don't need a clutch, I really don't want to buy one). I'm not saying I don't trust a shop, but it's real money to me and I'd sure like to know how to verify --- preferably before I head in.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:02 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Bleed it all you want, but nothing will change. When you're going down the road, the clutch linkage (including all of the hydraulics) is completely out of the picture - the clutch is as engaged as it can be. The problem lies inside the bellhousing: worn disk, failed pressure plate springs, and/or oil on the clutch. You don't have much choice other than to pull the trans and look.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:41 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If there's oil, chances are a motor drop is in order to address a potentially leaking rear main seal.
Yeah, I know you dont want to hear that...
Old 01-09-2019, 04:44 PM
EduardoForesti
Intermediate

Ok, sold; sounds like a tear-down to get to the bottom of it.

Many thanks for everyone's time in looking and reviewing.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts

Keep us posted on the cost, etc...thanks...
Old 01-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
With a slipping clutch any fix will involve an internal inspection of the clutch and in most cases it will involve replacing some or all of the clutch package components.
On the upside, one need not "drop" the engine on a 993 to remove the transmission and service the clutch, flywheel or power steering belt saving a lot of labor charges at most shops.
Andy
With a C4/4S engine and tranny need to come out no?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I am dubious it needs a clutch. It'd be amazing if the disc is worn down to the rivets after 65K miles of around-town driving. 993 clutches are robust. The disc in mine had plenty of meat left when I did the clutch at 115K. If it's slipping in 3rd, then it's slipping even more in 1st and 2nd. You should be getting slippage in all the lower gears, and it should be unmistakable.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
I am dubious it needs a clutch. It'd be amazing if the disc is worn down to the rivets after 65K miles of around-town driving. 993 clutches are robust. The disc in mine had plenty of meat left when I did the clutch at 115K. If it's slipping in 3rd, then it's slipping even more in 1st and 2nd. You should be getting slippage in all the lower gears, and it should be unmistakable.
He hasn't owned the car since new, so perhaps previous owner was hard on the clutch?

Also, one doesn't need to abuse a clutch to have it go south after only 65K miles. Lots of city driving in a hilly town like San Fran will wear out a clutch much faster than, say, highway miles only in the flatlands of the mid-west

Quick Reply: Clutch Slipping