993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024 | 02:38 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Huge congratulations to you @nothingbutgt3 as this recognition is incredibly well deserved. I will try to find a copy of Total 911 to buy so I can have that article too.

As far as I'm concerned your a Porsche Saint, as you refused to let that special car die, and brought it back better than ever. That was inspirational to all of us who followed your amazing journey! I hope you continue to spread good cheer and sharing Limoncella with the world!
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutgt3 (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024 | 02:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I just popped the $$ to buy the 993 issue recently, now I gotta buy this one too! 🤣
nothingbutgt3 (04-01-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 11:29 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Congrats Paolo!!
nothingbutgt3 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 11:31 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PRSWILL
Congrats Paolo!!
Thank you Will!
Old 04-03-2024 | 05:07 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Just got mine out of storage - always a great day! Running perfect and ready for the driving season!
Old 04-03-2024 | 06:33 PM
ch3tman
Racer

Cool

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
Total 911 - Issue #242 - April 2024 ...
...is the answer.

Congrats! - it doesn't get much better than front cover of Total 911 magazine .

No doubt the article itself will be high quality. Am sure the magazine feature will bring further (global, and most worthy) attention to your spectacular projekt .

Look forward to seeing your 'special' seat installation and more photos/videos of the car finally being enjoyed .
nothingbutgt3 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 04:29 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

someone had to post this here, will stay available in this post for good

Last edited by geolab; 04-05-2024 at 05:34 AM.
kingroon (05-16-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 04:50 AM
Harley2008
AutoX

I follow this forum in awe, wonderful work
nothingbutgt3 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-05-2024 | 05:29 AM
listnner
Instructor

@nothingbutgt3 stunning work. What are the offsets and widths of your BBS wheels ?
Old 04-05-2024 | 05:39 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by listnner
@nothingbutgt3 stunning work. What are the offsets and widths of your BBS wheels ?
If I recollect correctly they happen to be same as the magnesium 993 cup centerlocking wheels

8,5Jx18 ET53 on the front
10Jx18 ET60 on the rear

They were originally BBS Motorsport for the 996 CUP, I had to move the front centers to the rear and viceversa, plus had to change the innerbarrels (if I remember correctly) on the rear and the outer barrels on the front.
I drew the sections on the paper and measured the single barrels, luckily there are still many sets of these wheels used, available, but yet in good condition.

I liked the idea of a design same as the E28 magnesium, but easier to rework and less unpredictable aspects related to the material itself....the final result differs from the magnesium 993 RSR E28 because of the surface finish, but they look so stunning thar I am considering to make another set, only I am not sure in which color, maybe the same stahlgrau of the 993 S vesuvio edition?

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 04-05-2024 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2024 | 05:48 AM
listnner
Instructor

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
If I recollect correctly they happen to be same as the magnesium 993 cup centerlocking wheels

8,5Jx18 ET53 on the front
10Jx18 ET60 on the rear

They were originally BBS Motorsport for the 996 CUP, I had to move the front centers to the rear and viceversa, plus had to change the innerbarrels (if I remember correctly) on the rear and the outer barrels on the front.
I drew the sections on the paper and measured the single barrels, luckily there are still many sets of these wheels used, available, but yet in good condition.

I liked the idea of a design same as the E28 magnesium, but easier to rework and less unpredictable aspects related to the material itself....the final result differs from the magnesium 993 RSR E28 because of the surface finish, but they look so stunning thar I am considering to make another set, only I am not sure in which color, maybe the same stahlgrau of the 993 S vesuvio edition?
Is ET 53 & 60, the new calculated offsets, after you swapped the centers and changed the barrels ?
Old 04-05-2024 | 08:41 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Is ET 53 & 60, the new calculated offsets, after you swapped the centers and changed the barrels ?
Yes, it has the front channel width of the 993 CUP, but being a very track focused tribute, I thought it shouldn't be a minus
Old 04-23-2024 | 01:57 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Just a little upgrade, hoping to give a feedback that can contribute to help some other happy 993 onwers (and not only) understand and/or orientate about 2 specific arguments:

- the practically solid FD Motorsport gearbox (Hulk green) mount
- the Recaro Podium seats

I just put 500 kms on the odometer, but it is quite clear to me that the solid gearbox mount is too much and probably un-necessary, at least in this configuration, and I explain why: the whole car is on monobal or solid mount, with the solely exception of the engine mounts that are the blue rubber ones from Rennline and the practically solid hulk green with aluminum billet profiles provided by FD Motorsport.
The gearbox has a Genuine Porsche single mass flywheel coupled with a Sachs performance clutch, this config. doesn't damp any of the vibrations coming from the engine bay and so these vibrations work on the gearbox (I suppose the synchros) and make them rattle, and this is depending on the absence of the DMF (and probably the fact that the gearbox isn't brand new), but anyway, it is not depending on the of gearbox mount you install.
By the way, at the very least, changing the gearbox support to the harder RS one, most of the vibrations should stop into the gearbox and not be trasmitted as much as now to the chassis.

Talking about the Recaro Podium, the speech becomes longer...

I have read conflicting reviews about it, especially a journalist who, if I remember correctly, must write for EVO UK or Top Gear in some youtube content shown me by Ch3t from the UK,journalist that when testing a 993 equipped with these seats, he praised it in terms of workmanship, fitment and holding capacity, while he believed they were the wrong choice because too modern in relation to the type of car.
The world is beautiful because it is varied and everyone has the sacrosanct right to think as they want, but in my opinion, with respect speaking for the opinion of this journalist, at least limited to the configuration of Limoncella, nothing is further from reality: these Recaro Podium seats are not only stupendous from the point of view of manufacturing and ergonomics (much more racing oriented than the Pole Position ABE which have 3/4 cm of greater width at the edge closest to the steering wheel which allows a more relaxed position of the knees, making the Pole Position ABE seats somehow more touristy ), but also in appearance, all black, with exposed carbon, the small Recaro white stitching (much more elegant and discreet than the huge one on the Pole Position that I also have installed on the Silver 993) are literally "the icing on the cake", at least in this case, on a 993 which has the panels coupled with the tolerances of a 997, the front wheel arches and the bonnet in carbon/Kevlar, the BBS E29 Motorsport rims of the 996 CUP, the floating front brake discs, the 3-way MCS adjustable suspensions, the optimized/redesigned BBi wheel hubs... in short, it is a personalization, an update of the car, which has been updated where possible and where it was appreciated, yes or no?!? Yes, then, well, these seats are simply gorgeous in that regard.

Before they arrived it was a leap in the dark, having seen that content on YouTube, I really doubted until the very end, but when they arrived and I mounted them, with those side mounts interrupted on the side, the double FIA and ABE approval for the road use (depending on the bases that are installed), I felt relieved and thanked the heavens for having taken the plunge and not having had to listen to those two or three very enthusiast Porsche friends who advised me to opt for Recaro SPGs for Porsche instead (those of the RS Clubsport so to speak, which cost an arm and a leg, have the FIA approval which expired centuries ago and have been used on who knows how many occasions (in addition to being made of fibreglass)...uhm...) while these have double approval and if one day I would like to mount them on a 993 CUP should also have the racing homologation...and last, but not least, they seem sewn to my body!
I'm 1.88 cm (about 6' 2") and weigh about 95 kg, not really small nor short, and it really looks like a tailor has sewn them on me: now even the interiors of the Limoncella are no less photonic than the exteriors... the opinions are opinions, facts are facts.

Sometimes the discriminating factor is so subtle as to be imperceptible, this is also very true, but this car is a 993 brought back to life, new and updated in everything, even the seats, and there is not the slightest doubt that it is a street-level combination of success.

It might have been a 964, with those classic and very desireable upright headlights and a more retro look, but that's precisely the beauty of the 993, it was because of this precise model that the design of the 993 was rewritten, remastered, mantaining the principles and construction systems that dates back to 1963....and yes, it is the only one, among the whole 911 production, to have this intrinsic characteristic in 60 years of the 901 project.

sometimes we have to dare!

ch3tman (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024 | 04:26 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

what did you use to surround the driver/passenger floor board? looks like foam?
are the floor boards wood or aluminum?
did you cover the center console or just bare plastic?

there can be too much glare reflecting off the pastel yellow onto the rear window during a sunny day.
I used a strip of matte black vehicle wrap to cover the area just below the rear window.
eliminates the glare, huge improvement.
Old 04-24-2024 | 08:49 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by k722070
what did you use to surround the driver/passenger floor board? looks like foam?
are the floor boards wood or aluminum?
did you cover the center console or just bare plastic?

there can be too much glare reflecting off the pastel yellow onto the rear window during a sunny day.
I used a strip of matte black vehicle wrap to cover the area just below the rear window.
eliminates the glare, huge improvement.
Hi K,
The floor boards are the matt black made of aluminum from Rennline, surrounded by a black rubber seal, the type you put on the glass to close a free space

The center console is the original one survived from the river, practically undamaged, all it needed was a deep clean and some black here and there on the leather upholstery, since the car was ordered with full leather interiors.

In regards of the glares you are 100% right, for the moment I am not giving importance to this aspect, but probably in the near future it is going to be faced, for safety reasons.

Yesterday I noticed, with Silverina (C07 m.y.96) and Limoncella (C07 m.y.95) sitting one next to the other that there are some differences in the metal panel that separates the back of the rear seats from the engine bay, maybe here on Rennlist you have already discussed this aspect...it popped out to my sight since both the cars don't have the upholstery in the back, and so this is immediate to be noticed.

2 pictures speak better than thousand words

In the m.y. 95 all the circled holes are threaded (2 on each side)

On the m.y. 96 there are 4 holes in the upper part of the panel, of whom 2 are threaded, 2 are not

The threaded bolt seat next to the side rear glass is supposed to hold in place the rollable hank of the rear seat belt of that side, so the other threaded ones placed more towards the center of the car what are precisely supposed to be used for?
Maybe it is just my imagination, but I was wondering if in case of a rear seats delete, they could be used to place the 2 seat belts coming on the shoulders of both driver and passenger in case of a 4 or 6 points harness seat belts configuration...

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 04-24-2024 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute