Suspension Setup Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I see, with the kinematic motion locked out with monoballs, it still sets the start point of the bump toe curve and they should at least be equal and ideally set to driver preference.

That is one cool tool, who makes that Bill?
There are several mostly race oriented shops that have them in one form or another,
FD has them

spec for Cup & RSR is+3° to +3° 30', I run mine at +3° 30', the lower the # the faster reaction is obtained from the rear on transitions, the higher the slower, set to taste.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Car is still with Hergesheimer MotorSports
apparently i messed up on some of the install (missing spacers and wrong tie rod ends) and ride height, corner balance, alignment...

i returned the h&r sway bars, I’ll look for trg or Rs sets...

pss9 set posted on eBay, how much are they worth? I listed it for $800 with the h&r springs
Old 01-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DutchNy
Car is still with Hergesheimer MotorSports
apparently i messed up on some of the install (missing spacers and wrong tie rod ends) and ride height, corner balance, alignment...

i returned the h&r sway bars, I’ll look for trg or Rs sets...

pss9 set posted on eBay, how much are they worth? I listed it for $800 with the h&r springs
Save your self a lot of trouble and get RS

Didn't your car have RS wheel carriers w/ the Rs outer tie rod ends?
Here's the difference

You can also use RSR inners w/ the RS outer, that's what I'd recommend.

The RS still have rubber, the RSR are pure spherical,
The upper here is a stock outer/inner, the lower is RS outer w/ RSR inner
Old 01-05-2019, 05:11 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Save your self a lot of trouble and get RS

Didn't your car have RS wheel carriers w/ the Rs outer tie rod ends?
Here's the difference

You can also use RSR inners w/ the RS outer, that's what I'd recommend.

The RS still have rubber, the RSR are pure spherical,
The upper here is a stock outer/inner, the lower is RS outer w/ RSR inner

Bill, i am running the Rs uprights, rsr inners and Tarret tie rods w bump steer
Old 01-05-2019, 07:36 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

so something like this?

Are they doing a bump sweep?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 PM
DutchNy
Racer

so something like this?

Are they doing a bump sweep?
Yes, the top one connected to the RSR inner.

What is a Bump Sweep?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, the top one connected to the RSR inner.

What is a Bump Sweep?
It's how you know that what you did was right
Old 01-05-2019, 09:35 PM
DutchNy
Racer

learn something new everyday on here. Thank u
Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Tripp993
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Will they check bump steer on both front and rear or just rear? I've been following this closely because I've just got the same setup (but with JRZ's), had a very reputable race shop set it up for me and after 2 weekends at the track with their support I was still almost a second slower than before I installed the new parts. I took it to my mechanic at Porsche who does all of my other work and we found that it had a lot of bump steer in the rear. I've purchased the longacre bump steer tool and we are working on that next week. Another thing that was a problem is the JRZ suspension I have was for a RSCS and after installed rear wheels seemed to be droop limited (1" down and 5" up). We have gotten some 1.75" spacers made to move the suspension down to have 3" of travel each way.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tripp993
Will they check bump steer on both front and rear or just rear? I've been following this closely because I've just got the same setup (but with JRZ's), had a very reputable race shop set it up for me and after 2 weekends at the track with their support I was still almost a second slower than before I installed the new parts. I took it to my mechanic at Porsche who does all of my other work and we found that it had a lot of bump steer in the rear. I've purchased the longacre bump steer tool and we are working on that next week. Another thing that was a problem is the JRZ suspension I have was for a RSCS and after installed rear wheels seemed to be droop limited (1" down and 5" up). We have gotten some 1.75" spacers made to move the suspension down to have 3" of travel each way.
It's more important in front because you have the steering from the driver and steering from wheel travel, In back it's also important but the issue can be narrowed down and solved far more easily.

Assuming that you car is set up like the factory did for Cup & RSR, as shown here. Use the factory specs as shown.

For both front & rear the less castor the more pronounced any bump steer will be, so too speed an end up lower caster to slow it down decrease caster, Every driver will have slightly different tastes in this regard.
here's a bump sweep for a stock RoW height 993, the reddish curve is the bump, Ideally you want a vertical line, lowering actually puts the car into a better part of the curve, the dashed blue line is lowered to RS height, The RS wheel carriers and tie rods further improve the curve
Old 01-06-2019, 11:23 AM
Tripp993
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It's more important in front because you have the steering from the driver and steering from wheel travel, In back it's also important but the issue can be narrowed down and solved far more easily.

Assuming that you car is set up like the factory did for Cup & RSR, as shown here. Use the factory specs as shown.

For both front & rear the less castor the more pronounced any bump steer will be, so too speed an end up lower caster to slow it down decrease caster, Every driver will have slightly different tastes in this regard.
here's a bump sweep for a stock RoW height 993, the reddish curve is the bump, Ideally you want a vertical line, lowering actually puts the car into a better part of the curve, the dashed blue line is lowered to RS height, The RS wheel carriers and tie rods further improve the curve
Thanks Bill. I see that you run 0 toe front and .18 degrees toe in rear and I had my car set to your specs before these modifications. Am I reading this right that RSR/Cup had +0.05 Degrees toe in front and +0.30 degrees toe in rear? Why do you not like those specs for yourself? Some race shops are recommending 1/16" total toe out Front and 1/8" total toe In Rear. Since I using an alignment machine, if I'm not mistaken that's front -0.14 degrees and rear +0.28 degrees. I'm running same tire setup as RSR/Cup but BBS E88 8.5"x18" ET 48.5 and 10"x18" ET63 wheels. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tripp993
Thanks Bill. I see that you run 0 toe front and .18 degrees toe in rear and I had my car set to your specs before these modifications. Am I reading this right that RSR/Cup had +0.05 Degrees toe in front and +0.30 degrees toe in rear? Why do you not like those specs for yourself? Some race shops are recommending 1/16" total toe out Front and 1/8" total toe In Rear. Since I using an alignment machine, if I'm not mistaken that's front -0.14 degrees and rear +0.28 degrees. I'm running same tire setup as RSR/Cup but BBS E88 8.5"x18" ET 48.5 and 10"x18" ET63 wheels. What are your thoughts?
In front 0 static toe gives better turn in, One of the battles I had w/. the car from day 1 was getting that, things that help, less caster, RSR tie rods 8.5" wheels 235 or 245 tire, less toe some guys evn go to toe out in front.

Similar situation in back, but I like a little slower rear wrt the front so in back more caster, but retain toe in for braking stability

You front wheels imparts a larger scrub radius than mine, you will have better feel and self centering and better turn in, the only downside is less room at the lip
Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 PM
DutchNy
Racer

Picked up the 993 this morning. Total weight is 2859lbs

Any input on the spec sheet below.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Picked up the 993 this morning. Total weight is 2859lbs

Any input on the spec sheet below.

No mention of caster or KT......
Old 01-10-2019, 04:47 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice! How does it feel? Do you have a pic of how it looks from the side?

Quick Reply: Suspension Setup Choice