993 Forum 1995-1998

How do I value a 993 that...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 11:12 PM
BG3
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do I value a 993 that...

Hi folks. I'm a long time reader and dreamer. I'm finally in a position to chase a 911. I'm honestly completely torn between going with the air cooled cars I grew up dreaming about, and a 997.2 that seems the best fit for taking the family along.

I've found a 993 C2 that has piqued my interest. It has had every major item you would want to see fixed, done in the past two years. ~29k in itemized receipts. However, I just pulled the Carfax and discovered it has three separate damage/accident reports ('03,'08 &'09). The owner said it had some work/respray on the front end with receipts from that repair '09. It seems to be in good driver condition cosmetically. There's a scratch on the sunroof where a previous owner opened it with a broken cable. The function has been remedied but, not the scratch.

How do I value this car?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Old 12-04-2018, 01:13 AM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your goal? That needs to be answered. “I want a Porsche because...”
as there is so many ways to take your question from your answer.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:04 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

If you want a no-stories garage queen, this isn't the car for you. If you want a 993 to drive, it may be the car for you. Now you need to find out details on the accidents and the quality of the repairs.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

A good inspection by a body shop and have a Rennlist member drive it for you who knows how it should feel. Unibody damage will generally reveal itself readily as odd feedback when driven.
Andy
Old 12-04-2018, 09:21 AM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a driver-quality car. The accidents were 9, 10, and 15 years ago. How many miles are on the car? How many miles have been put on in the last 9 years? What is the owner asking for the car? Have you driven it? Have you driven a 997? Things will get much clearer once you get behind the wheel(s).

Drive some cars, get some prices, and if you are comfortable with the price, get a PPI on the car you like best.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:04 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Just curious...Why do you think that a 997.2 is any more a "family car" than a 993? While both will allow small humans to sit in the back seats for a short period of time, I don't consider either to be a "family car". I don't want to dissuade you from your goal but, if you want a great Porsche "family car" with a sports car feel, look at a Macan GTS or Turbo.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 AM
BG3
Advanced

Great points, folks. I'll try to answer as best I can. I'm looking for a reliable driver that I can enjoy driving our fun and curvy back roads, take up to the Tail of the Dragon, etc., and isn't a money pit. I'd also prefer that it can hold its value. Not looking to get rich off it or flip it. I also want to be able to take my wife and two year old son along when possible. I mentioned the 997.2 being more family friendly due to the additional creature comforts and features, like ventilated seats for NC summers!

I have recently driven a Lotus Evora 400, 2008 997.1 C2S and 2010 997.2 C2S but, haven't had a chance to drive a 993 yet. Well, outside of a crazy incident in Charleston when I was there for my first job out of college, circa 2001. I was walking downtown and a guy couldn't parallel park his 993 without stalling it. So, I hopped in, drove it around the block and parked it for him.

Here's what I know about the car from the carfax:
1st owner: 96-05, 104k
2nd owner: 5/05-9/14, 115k
3rd owner: 12/14 - 7/16
4th owner: 1/17 - current, 1st receipt shows 115,767. Now 120k.

Incidents:
'03: 74k - vehicle inspected after accident or other incident
10/08: owner 2 - damage reported. (last reported mileage was 107k in '05)
1/09: owner 2 - accident reported - front impact (next mileage report wasn't until '14 at 115k)

Thank you all for your help!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

Hi:

I am also curious what the asking price is. That will help in framing how good a deal it is or isn't.

Thanks,
Michael

I find my 993 roomier than my 987.2 Cayman R. Of course, no back seat in the Cayman but the interior space just feels larger in the 993. Also, I have found my high mileage 993 to be really reliable. That said, if you don't do your own work it could nickle and dime you to death.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:26 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

If you want a modern car that integrates with family use, has modern systems and is much roomier than the 993, buy the .2. I have both and the .2 is quiet, fast and reliable. The 993 is a twenty year old car and even with a garage queen you’ll always be chasing issues. It wouldn’t be my choice for your described mission profile.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:50 AM
BG3
Advanced

Originally Posted by mike cap
If you want a modern car that integrates with family use, has modern systems and is much roomier than the 993, buy the .2. I have both and the .2 is quiet, fast and reliable. The 993 is a twenty year old car and even with a garage queen you’ll always be chasing issues. It wouldn’t be my choice for your described mission profile.
I think that was my main issue with the .2. There's something about a manual and that car has a great box. It was a blast to drive but, just seemed to be missing something. Not sure if it was the lack of sound, smell or what. Don't get me wrong, it's a phenomenal car and I would've been happy with it if the dealer hadn't sold it out from under me. It just seems like a minor compromise to a more engaging experience. I really need to spend some time in a 993...

Anyone in central NC, up for a drive in the next day or two?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:53 AM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 993 that I bought over two years ago. I bought it with one Carfax issue and the car had two owners before me. A ton of work done on the car like the top end of the engine etc and it has about 119000 miles on it. I thought about selling it a year ago and ended up changing my mind but part of the reason it was too much hassle because of the Carfax issue. So I am keeping it and I love it and if in the future I need to sell it I will have to deal with the Carfax thing. I just want you to be aware of the fact a Carfax accident report is a major issue with people when you try to resell a Porsche no matter how long ago it was.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:35 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

agree with @drodg . carfax will kill any chance of value.

You already have a one child, with a 993 you'll be getting another child that will need constant attention.
My vote based on above is get a .2 and not worry about it. Like you said with modern features and less on-going maintenance concerns.

If you get the 993, and issues starts happening to it - your wife will not be happy. You'll be asking yourself, why did i buy this as you huddle in the corner with your wife yelling at you. And, you'll never be able to get rid of quick (as you promised your wife you'd be able to when you bought it as you got a such great deal), but the carfax issue keeps coming up with every potential buyer. Not like that has ever happened to me with my decisions.

But, when your kids are in high school and want nothing to do with you, and your wife says you need a hobby.. Then get a 993.

Last edited by nodnarb204; 12-04-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: more challenges...
Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 993 with two Carfax incidents. Both were easily repaired issues that have no impact on the operation or appearance of the car.

I wonder how many people walk away from considering a car with reported incidents. Seems like a drastic move when fishing in a small pond to begin with.

Not like a 'no issues' car can't set you back $$$ with mechanical issues.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:11 PM
BG3
Advanced

Originally Posted by nodnarb204

If you get the 993, and issues starts happening to it - your wife will not be happy. You'll be asking yourself, why did i buy this as you huddle in the corner with your wife yelling at you. And, you'll never be able to get rid of quick (as you promised your wife you'd be able to when you bought it as you got a such great deal), but the carfax issue keeps coming up with every potential buyer. Not like that has ever happened to me with my decisions.

But, when your kids are in high school and want nothing to do with you, and your wife says you need a hobby.. Then get a 993.
Hahaha! Probably never a truer statement written. Are we car nuts really that transparent?... Thank you for a good laugh!

Though, by then, a house will be cheaper than a 993...

The carfax issue sucks because this car seems to tick all the boxes. Though, it's a very real issue. Recent top and bottom end rebuild, clutch, RS flywheel, new PSS10's, a/c rebuild, new sunroof cables and seals, new starter, ignition switch. Needs tires. What would you pay for this, assuming the damage was cosmetic and not frame related?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

@BG3 - What is the asking price?
The only way for anyone in this group to say if you have room to negotiate is to know where the seller is starting.

If you are reluctant to openly post the asking price then...
Based on:
- >100K mi
- couple Carfax reports
- ~$29K in recent documented repairs
Go to this thread on pricing and see where you think the car "sits" in pricing.
It's not a top >$100K car, but with the repairs it's certainly not a <$30K car.

Many others have posted the potential issues with owning a "fun family" ~20 year old car with really effectively only 2 seats.

Quick Reply: How do I value a 993 that...