Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What should I do, buy a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 04:28 AM
winsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What should I do, buy a new car?

I need some advice on what I should do to my beloved 993.

After talking to my mechanic the other days I am being sucked into modifing my tiptronic into a manuel. Yes its a big job (around 10000usd) of cause many will say sell your tip and look for a manuel. However in Hong Kong may be one out of fifty is a manuel and for 993(its ten years old now..)it is very rare. Friend of mine has a NA 993 and looking for a turbo with no luck. Make no mistake I love my car but really really miss driving a 6sp. Tiptonic is great gearbox but driving manuel just give you that moment of satisfaction no autobox can provide.

If I decide to mod it I am planning a big way, like 3.8L kit, 6sp box, Rs aerokit, Recaro seats etc. but for the money I am sure a turbo is within reach....

Please solve my misery
Old 01-28-2004, 04:34 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

i think you should sell the car and get another one .............. chaning out the tip for a manual for 10k is kinda crazy when you crazy when you can get a half decent vehicle for 30k and change.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:34 AM
ksjcorpus
Instructor

i think you should sell the car and get another one .............. chaning out the tip for a manual for 10k is kinda crazy when you crazy when you can get a half decent vehicle for 30k and change.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:41 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell the tip and get a TT.

'94 993s are worth HK$250-325K depending on condition; and '95 Turbos can be had in the neighborhood of HK$500K. My friend sold a sweet yellow TT a number of months back and I was very tempted to buy it.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:51 AM
winsome
Instructor

yes I admit I am a little crazy....but doesn't all car nuts are :-)

David you are famililar with the HK market....I have been on the look out for a TT but with no luck! A yellow TT? Man Its the exact colour I am looking for? What year was it and around how much he was asking for? My relative bought a dark blue one, 95 with beautiful full carbon interior kit and GT3 seats few months back around 53K.

Another thing to do is drive this car a year or two longer and get a 996 GT3 for 65-70K? But of cause Air cool is a different beast altogether and the sound of a NA aircool engine is just wonderful, even compare to turbo aircool......
Old 01-28-2004, 10:34 AM
ON TIME
Pro

Buy a new car. fine a car in the usa and have it ship.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Why not just install a TT motor and trans. Can be purchased here for 20-25k and it is plug and play. All You have to remember is to jumper the #26 fuse so the fuelpump will come on. Make sure to get the wiring harness and DME when You get the drivetrain. We did it in my garage/shop at my home and it took about 6 hours to get it installed. It will fit a NB car fine btw.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:46 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it's tough bringing a car in from the states... i know in singapore the taxes on a car shipped almost exceeded the cost of the car (back in '97).

winsome--- maybe you should just bite the bullet & pay for the mod, although the price seems a bit high. have you checked elsewhere? also, if you like the car... just do it. i know it's gotta be tough to find even the "right" 993n.a. in hk. it would really suck to let yours go & end up w/ a "stick" that turned out to be even more work in other areas to get it to equal what you have now. just my 2¢. bol!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:30 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by winsome
David you are famililar with the HK market....I have been on the look out for a TT but with no luck! A yellow TT? Man Its the exact colour I am looking for? What year was it and around how much he was asking for?
I split my time between HK and LA and keep a 993 and motorcycle in HK. My buddy's car was a speed yellow '95 w/ about 25-30km...sold it for low $500s. If you're having trouble sourcing one talk to Eddy the service manager at Jebsens - tell him what you are interested in and ask him to keep an eye open...he'll know if any customers are looking to sell and you can give him a monetary token of appreciation for the lead. You can tell him that I sent you - PM or email me.

Originally posted by ON TIME
Buy a new car. fine a car in the usa and have it ship.
Unfortunately not so easy...Hong Kong cars are required to be RHD so shipping a car from the US is not feasible. Plus by the time you add in the 60%+ import duty the car is no longer cheap. If you are looking to import one best source would be to find one in the UK...unfortunately you still have the duty to deal with. Also the depreciation of the US$ dollar over the past 18 mos only makes importation feasible if you find a special car, say a 993 GT2 or 993 RS.

Originally posted by Glen
Why not just install a TT motor and trans. Can be purchased here for 20-25k and it is plug and play. All You have to remember is to jumper the #26 fuse so the fuelpump will come on. Make sure to get the wiring harness and DME when You get the drivetrain. We did it in my garage/shop at my home and it took about 6 hours to get it installed. It will fit a NB car fine btw.
In HK it is technically illegal to do any modifications on cars although it certainly doesn't stop the guys modifying their Skylines, Evos and Sti's. Also, since 993s are over 6 years old they are required to go through an annual inspection to renew registration. Unless you have access to a garage, turn your own wrench, or have a ton of cash, heavy mods on a car in HK becomes a PITA.

Best bet is still to find a TT that is already in HK or think about a '99 GT3 - these were about $1.2MM new but are now about the same price as a TT. Eddy can tell you how many TTs and GT3s are in HK so you have a better idea what the supply is.

Good luck in your search

Last edited by David in LA; 01-28-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:32 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Are you sure you want to change to a manual in HK? Having said that I suspect if I lived in HK I would get the 6-speed. I remember all the traffic jams when I lived there many moons ago. Still remember how bad the driving manners were back then!

Harry
Old 01-28-2004, 07:57 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
You mean you "wouldn't get the 6-speed" right?
I mean I would get the 6-speed as I am a masochist How did you know that English was my worst subject Seriously, if you drive through heavy traffic with lots of stop and go some will say Tiptronic is a Godsend.

Harry
Old 01-28-2004, 08:13 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
I thought you were Scottish? I used to commute in a 6-speed 993 but the commute was slow so constant shifting from 1st thru 3rd became tedious, so now I commute in my truck with an slushbox. Now I can focus on road rage...
Kim,

Scotlands my adopted home. Been in Uk for almost 18 years (damn, didn't realize it was that long), lived in HK for 17 years and born in Japan.
Figure that out!

Harry
Old 01-29-2004, 02:34 AM
winsome
Instructor

You guys are great and Thank you. Honestly, as I am sure you all understand as a car nuts, espacially as a Porsche enthusiast, we have a special relationship with our baby. Yet at the same time we are constantly at a look out for more performance, therefore a new car always swinging back and forth in our mind.

I am going through a serious impulsive buying sphere so I needed to think VERY carefully before taking any action. ;-)

I got my 993 at a very low price and it is for this reason I wanted modify it to a semi-RS spec..... the RS is still one of my all time favorate. It will be very difficult for me to mod to a true RS spec since I don't really want to sacrifice TOO much comfort, eg If I use the RS springs and shocks it will be too bumpy for everyday use?! So the most is to put in a set of Pss9. Another example is that I need to retain the rear seats as my 4.5yr old daughter will scream otherwise.....

But come to think of it I need that aircool 993 to be in my collection, guess I will save up for 997 GT3?!

I will need you guys to give me the incentive to do the irrational thing...oh and what my wife will have to say about that.....

For those who are interested the Hong Kong traffic it has much improve and only during the peak hour where you will have problems. And if you pick the right time, eg Sunday morning... you are able to go full throttle for over hour and a half before traffics cuts in. I am able to achieve 200km plus , usually at below 240km for safety reason. But my group whose cars include 996 GT3 , turbo, MB E55, F-360 etc touches 280km ......Sorry I am not that brave to go higher, I know my limitation.....
Old 01-29-2004, 04:24 AM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

Don't do it. Find a 993 manual or trade up for a TT. Or better yet, find a manual 964 for a second car and set it up for the track with a major crash diet.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:35 PM
hdemas
Instructor

I would recommend doing a lot of research before doing this swap. You basically need to go through the PET and figure out all of the parts that are different between the manual and the auto. To do it properly, there are lots of small things that you might not otherwise think of. Make sure things like the camshafts are the same (I've heard that on at least some of the auto Porsche's these things differ between the auto and manual). The engine computer will definitely need replacing. Then you need to see what wiring harnesses you need that are different.

In sum, before pulling the trigger on this you need to spend more than a few hours going through the PET and listing all the parts, then figuring out how much they cost and how much the labor will be to replace them all. All in all, a huge pain.

Quick Reply: What should I do, buy a new car?