All I can say is WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:27 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts
Default All I can say is WOW!

I just walked in the house, its 1.00am, I'm dead tired, my ears are buzzing ( those supercups ) and i have to wake up in 4 hours to go to the track...

I could not help myself to tell you how I feel after I brought home from my mechanic my race car... The car is modified now to RS specs ( engine, tranny etc) plus a lot of other goodies.
After I pulled out of my mechanic's shop there is a very long straight, so I went WOT on second only to master a Texas size Yeeeeehaaaawwww, up to third and I get shoved back on the seat , my God so soon I see the red shifting lights on my Stack for 4th, upshift to 4th this things pulls like crazy, the road is still wet and I have MPSC's on, time to brake and take a deep breath
WOW! What a difference!!!!

In a few hours I will be testing the car and I will give you guys more impressions and some pics...

All I can say for now is...start saving your pennies... this much fun cannot be missed!
Old 01-25-2004, 07:01 AM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See you in a few hours. Have her warmed up for me.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Stop it, Danny. You're3 turning me into a jealous monster
Old 01-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Danny:

Oh boy !!!!

Another endorsement for "project-x-".... ;^)

See you in a couple of weeks, or so.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:25 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Re: All I can say is WOW!

Originally posted by DJF1
plus a lot of other goodies.
Can you tell us more or is it classified information??
Old 01-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can tell you we were passing SRFs on the track! That car is Hooked Up!
Old 01-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Sweet! What tires are you running on her Danny?

What kind of spring rates did you go with on the JRZ's?
Old 01-25-2004, 09:57 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danny - Very cool. Happy the rain FINALLY died down. Sorry I couldn't make it out to TWS today. I was a little under the weather so I stayed home all day.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Matt Vaughan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
Sweet! What tires are you running on her Danny?

What kind of spring rates did you go with on the JRZ's?
Greg, they were Sport Cups.

Not sure about the spring rates.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

I want to say 700 and 900 pounds, but am not 100% sure.

I think after 4 hours of sleep last night, Danny crashed & burned (figuratively!!! -- I know he got as far as his exit off of Hwy 6)...
Old 01-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny
WOW!....drewl
Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Danny,

tell us more on how to spend all of our hard earned $...

if you could share expenses on this project as well that would be great.

Cheers,
boris
Old 01-26-2004, 12:58 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I remember correctly from the setup on Sat. He was running MPSC 225 and 285.

Spring rates were 600 f and 900 r.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:33 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Default The car that Rennlist built

I'm sure that Danny's full report will be here shortly, but he was gracious enough to let Matt and I take the car out for some spirited parade laps and boy that car is sooooo smooth.

Thanks for letting me now be able to say that I've driven a 3.8
Old 01-26-2004, 10:44 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Robert Henriksen
I want to say 700 and 900 pounds, but am not 100% sure.

I think after 4 hours of sleep last night, Danny crashed & burned (figuratively!!! -- I know he got as far as his exit off of Hwy 6)...
You are 100% right! LOL... I did crash and burn so to speak, 12 hours of straight sleep and I feel like a million bucks It was an accumulation of been tired signing off my ship, flying in and spending long evenings at my mechanic working on setting up the car and Saturday night we finished setting up the car at midnight...

Spring rates are 700 and 900 using Eibach Springs along with the JRZ's triple adjustables. Tires were MPSC's because it was a necessary evil so to speak. The rims I got ( thanks Princenton ) are 8'' in the front and combining the fact that the new Hoosiers are not out and I did not have the rims anyway for the current ones, plus the lack of trailer for the time being led me to get a new set of MPSC's size 225 front and 285 rear.
The car as usual was set to perfection ( corner balanced and aligned) by my mechanic Mike Callas is Sealy, a known and very **** Porsche race master mechanic. Right out of the box so to speak the car with Robert H capable hands and feet turned a 1.55.07 which is a front running time in C at our home track at TWS even with the MPSC's on... Even more impressive is that the car tipped the scales with 1/4 tank of fuel at a heavy 2925 lbs on the way to shedding more weight to meet RS specs and run without the Big reds which are going to be installed later on the car and before the March race!

Sunday was a really great day, sunny and not that hot which provided great and long runs with the car. Again the car run all day with 2 drivers on different run sessions without a hitch , a testament of Porsche engineering.. These cars are meant to be on the track. Only the brakes suffered, the need for better cooling and the RS big reds was obvious. Robert bled the brakes what 3 times in a day?
As Robert said the car was hooked! We made minor adjustments to the shocks and tire pressures which produced a very well balanced , flat cornering car. It was a joy to drive hard, I certainly run faster than ever on my home track which was very exiting. The engine is simply amazing, whoever says that an RS engine does not make a difference does not know much. Power everywhere nice a linear combining with the RS box is simply perfect! I can tell you guys, the mods maybe expensive but if you find deals or get complete engines and then sell your stock stuff it will not cost you that much as modifying what you have. Having driven now this car I'm literally spoiled and compared with my bone stock 993 cabrio it is night and day difference. The car keeps pulling on all gears, you are never left without power and the car is an amazing driving machine. It really makes it worthwhile if you can to buy outright an RS. It is a shame this car did not reach our shores, I believe it is the perfect 993.

What was very interesting was seeing Matt's stock 993 car on the main straight and my car with Robert driving on the same group. Matt would exit the esses on 3rd, floor it on the exit and before the start finish line would upshift to 4th. You could hear the engine trying to find torque, obviously not on the sweet spot. Robert would exit flat out on 3rd upshift to 4th before the transition to the banked straight and at about the same spot as Matt upshift to 5th!!! You could hear the engine screaming on all gears and never loosing a beat on the upshifts... Such a difference...

Talking about the engine...I think it does not have a rev limiter??? Being used on upshift points from the previous days, exiting turn 3 on 3rd flat towards turn 4 and before the braking zone I saw the shift lights on my Stack but all of a sudden I realized that I was spinning the engine over 7000 rpm!!!! Well no rev limiter... I can tell you that I did not want to push it further and find out

All and all it was a great day down here in Houston and I'm extremely happy with the results. We also had a mini HWFMR meet with Matt, Robert H and Kevin from Austin which was as usual great! The HWFMR Long sleeve shirt that I was proudly wearing was a hit with the other drivers and I had a guy wondering where he can buy one!

One final not on the JRZ's and the spring rates. It was hard to believe that I was riding on a suspension with 700-900 spring rates!!! The car was VERY compliant on the street, stiff but never jarring, not even one time I thought that the ride was unacceptable for a street car!!! I was shocked in disbelief really as I did not feel the ride was any stiffer than the H&R street coilover I have on my cabrio..Well maybe I have a weird taste as well

So stay tuned for pictures of my Blue Zonker which by the way wants to become friends with a Yellow Zonker living on the west coast. I have a feeling that the two will meet and become good friends at Laguna Seca sometime this summer

Quick Reply: All I can say is WOW!