Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need instruction on replacing fog lights.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 02:42 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need instruction on replacing fog lights.

I just bought some used ones on ebay to replace my cracked one. It's probably too easy that no one asked before or that I can't find it on Robin's diy but it would be nice if I can spend minimal time on it.

Thx in advance.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pry off cover on bumper ettes, you'll see 2 7mm (?) nuts.

Remove those 2 nuts and the bumperette will come off. The fog light is held in by a screw. Remove that screw and the fog light will come right out. There are 2 electrical connectors on the back of the foglight.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:01 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, thanks Jeff, never expected those fasterners to be hidden inside the bumperettes.

I got the minimal time on the response, too

thx
Old 01-23-2004, 06:35 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Jeff (or anyone?)

The nuts holding the bumperettes on are rusted solid, so - I'll have to destroy the bolts they are attached to, to get them off (which I have to get off soon, as one of the driving lights are blown). Quick question - if I have to destroy the bolts - what's under there? Can I simply replace the rusted bolts with new ones, or - are they welded to some kind of back plate?

Sorry for the stupid question - but I haven't dared take mine off yet, afraid that I'll have to buy a replacement part of some sort - or damaging the bumper cover???
Old 01-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember off hand if it's a bolt of something welded. I can take a pic tonight and see.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:07 PM
John D.
Banned

Thanks Jeff and Kim!!!!!

OK - from Kim's pic, it looks like a flush mount backing plate? And, if I destroy them, then the cover has to come off to replace the plate/part???

Hmmm - well, OK - I haven't had the bumper cover off yet..

Thanks again!!!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:02 PM
John D.
Banned

Thanks Kim..!!!

I sprayed the nuts a few nights ago - and just sprayed them again - so I'll try tomorrow to loosen them..? If they don't come off "as planned" - I'll probably be asking more "John Questions" tomorrow about how to get the G#&@^%$ bumper cover off....

I really should install a live WEB CAM in my garage - so you folks can "laugh along"....
Old 01-23-2004, 08:33 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
.....That way, everyone see what you're seeing.
Beer... Folks would see my beer... Then a thread would start talking about how I drink "cheap beer"....

Naww - the helmet cam won't work...

BTW - The Rennlist Forums hit and surpassed 1,000,000 posts TODAY..!!! In less the 3 years....... Congrats folks! This one is for you.... However - the e-mail lists have a few more..??

Best to you Kim - and thanks to all.....
Old 01-23-2004, 11:44 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome on the Millionth posting....

If you have to take the bumper off John to replace that stud pack, you may save some expense in the future by simply getting the bumperette holes filled so they are removed permanently....

Don't EVER let your wife read my posts or she will revoke my Rennlist membership...
Old 01-24-2004, 05:16 PM
John D.
Banned

Hmmmm.......

Nope - broke a bolt.... Dammitt.... So - aside from no radio - now, I have a flappy bumperette and an intermittent driving light on the left side..? Oh well, I guess I should Concorse (sp????) this baby 'bout now..

Oh - Bob? Jen is in full support of your posts - I'm sure... I mean - she does put up with me... Compared to my suggestions/comments as to what I "haft'a do" to my 993 - your's, at least, she can at and laugh.

But - just so you know - she does this to me when I make an "upgrade" comment....:

When you get to that point with her - I'll let ya know.. In the meantime - keep those upgrade suggestings flowing!

Heh!!!!
Old 01-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John:

Yes, Robin's DIY is great for the cover. From having done the cover twice recently as part of my oil cooler install, I have a couple of additional pointers...

As an obvious note, consider doing the ballast resitors for the Oil Cooler and HVAC. Parts are not expensive, but usually in need of repair due to cracking or corrosion.

Also, the staples for the rubber beading is usually messed up and the glue shot. If you have ever re-covered a motorcycle seat, this next suggestion will make a lot of sense... You can use a electric staple gun with 1/4" monel staples to reglue the rubber beading back down into place. This is somehwat like stapling the upholstry back onto the plastic shells of a motorcycle seat...hence the reference. I used "Barge" cement along with the staples once I got things good and clean. I also trimmed the curled edges of the rubber gasket to make is easier to guide in the slots in the fenders when I re-stalled the cover.

Finally, I used some liquid car wash concentrate as a lube for the rubber beading/bumper cover for when you put the bumper back on.

All of this should make some sense once you have it off. Please feel free to PM me if you think any of this worthy opf a question.

Regards
Old 01-24-2004, 09:25 PM
John D.
Banned

Hey Kim and Jeff...

Well back from the garage and catching up a bit.... Honestly - the PO "stored" the car outside for many months - and it's not a "gem". But you know what - that's ok... Yea - it has a few warts - most of which have been addressed, or will be - many from 'listers - like Kim, Addison, Gert, Danny, Phil, Matt, Steve, Viken, Bob, Graham.. Well - a whole lot of folks...

And yep - while in the garage tonite - working on the warts - I still have to just sit there and look at a: 993.

I never, ever - would believe that a 993 is in my garage - but dang it - it sure is.... And I don't miss my '87 that was in it's place, nor the may P'cars before. See - IMHO, and you can disagree - the 993 "is" the pinnacle of 911 development. All they knew went into this model at that time. And it is outstanding.

Does it have some warts? Yep. Are there small things like the bumperettes, bumper cover, lights, leaks, etc. that still have to be done?

Sure....

But - I still go to the garage and just look at a 993 C4.

It's in my garage. It's been "our" work that has got it driving again. And - I love it....

Now - about those staples holding on the bumper cover.....

And more - just my thanks for your help, input and support......
Old 01-24-2004, 10:01 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OT: but since you brought it up, who was the 1,000,000 poster? Are they a member? Do they get a certificate or prize?

BY the way, the pics of your car are great, I can see no warts from here and I am impressed with your "no fear" approach to getting it into shape.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:08 PM
John D.
Banned

Ummmm... Who was the 1,000,000 poster..????

Ummmm.... You know them "well".. And -- yes - they are a Member.... And, I was waiting 'till Monday to announce this - but.....

Oh - nevermind... I'll wait 'till Monday... And - "who ever it is" will have a "Lifetime Membership" in their SIG.......

BTW - did you post yesterday about the "right time" time regarding the "Cab vs. Targa" thread...??? Did you notice that right after "that post" - the announcement went up???????

Heh...

Old 01-24-2004, 10:17 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And I was about to compliment him on his avitar, great shot of that Targa showing off the roof and the hips of the 993.

Damm!.... I mean cool! So close but yet so far away.

Quick Reply: Need instruction on replacing fog lights.