Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA: watch out for this carbon shifter + brake handle set that might be listed soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 04:59 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default PSA: watch out for this carbon shifter + brake handle set that might be listed soon

Recently, I bought a set of the highly coveted, Tequipment black leather carbon shift **** and emergency brake handle from a listing in the Marketplace Forum, described as "nearly new" or "nearly mint."

When I received the items, I was disappointed to see damage to the metal sphere part of the shift ****. It was apparent that the **** hadn't been packed properly (it was packed immediately next to the metal pivot of the brake handle with no padding between them and jostling of the items during transit was enough to cause the damage seen below).

The seller said in text messages "it's really not a big deal to refinish them, I spoke to my body shop. Can't imagine they'll charge more than 40-60$ to refinish it... Sand, filler and paint. Not sure how else you'd do it." Tracking shows the Seller received the items returned from me a few days ago so I thought it would be prudent for me to post this now.

Two take-aways here:
1) Be really careful about any sets coming up for sale in the next few weeks/months/years. Ask if the shift ****'s been repaired. If you are ok with a non-original, painted finish, then ignore this.
2) ALWAYS use Paypal as a Buyer, do NOT pay as Friends & Family...at least for items with dollar values above which you are uncomfortable losing. If it weren't for Paypal's buyer protection, this would be a very different post.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to just name the seller?
Old 10-01-2018, 06:32 PM
YellowDieselGolf
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I repaired one, but those scratches look pretty deep.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...gear-****.html
Old 10-01-2018, 06:56 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Wouldn't it be easier to just name the seller?
Yes but this isn't about the seller now. He hasn't done anything wrong and he just might disclose if he relists that the item's been repaired.

Main objective of the original post was to remind everyone to be careful when buying goods online, not to out any individual as a 'bad seller.' Mistakes were made and I was just lucky that Paypal buyer protection worked as intended.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:10 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeshp
Yes but this isn't about the seller now. He hasn't done anything wrong and he just might disclose if he relists that the item's been repaired.

Main objective of the original post was to remind everyone to be careful when buying goods online, not to out any individual as a 'bad seller.' Mistakes were made and I was just lucky that Paypal buyer protection worked as intended.
OK well, I'm confused. The seller "didn't do anything wrong" yet you're posting a veiled warning about him because the goods you were received were so bad, you refused them and got a refund. But, nothing was done wrong....I'll take "Apparently Packed With No Care And Subsequent Waste Of Time As A Result " for $200, Alex!

So, the point of this post is to remind people to be careful when buying goods online? Fair enough.

As long as this is just a PSA, here are a few equally helpful tips:

Eat well and exercise.

Don't drink and drive.

Buy low, sell high.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Don't pull on Superman's cape.

Don't **** in the wind.

Don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger.

Don't mess around with Jim.

I hope this has been equally helpful
Old 10-01-2018, 07:28 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

If you sell something. You should pack it up properly. Thats the lesson that should be learned.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Is this the ad in question?

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ke-handle.html
Old 10-01-2018, 07:44 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
OK well, I'm confused. The seller "didn't do anything wrong" yet you're posting a veiled warning about him because the goods you were received were so bad, you refused them and got a refund. But, nothing was done wrong....I'll take "Apparently Packed With No Care And Subsequent Waste Of Time As A Result " for $200, Alex!

So, the point of this post is to remind people to be careful when buying goods online? Fair enough.

As long as this is just a PSA, here are a few equally helpful tips:

Eat well and exercise.

Don't drink and drive.

Buy low, sell high.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Don't pull on Superman's cape.

Don't **** in the wind.

Don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger.

Don't mess around with Jim.

I hope this has been equally helpful
This isn't a warning about the seller as much as it is a warning to watch out for a repaired item for sale soon that might not be disclosed as damaged and subsequently repaired. Until the seller decides he is taking the latter route, nothing he's done so far deserves an internet shaming. If that isn't helpful to you personally, that's fine with me. There are many, many, many, many posts of yours that aren't helpful to me and I suspect, countless others, however I don't bother following up each of those with a posting telling people how it isn't helpful to me.

I've done my bit to help this community. Thread closed.

Quick Reply: PSA: watch out for this carbon shifter + brake handle set that might be listed soon