Sponsored by:

What's with PCA

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Don C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's with PCA

I'm still looking to purchase my first 993 and have posted here a number of times. Each time I've received positive and helpful advice.

I have also sent a few emails to a number of the local PCA regions seeking advice on where to get a PPI for a few 993's I've looked at. Not a single one of my emails has been responded to.

There is no question that a Rennlist membership pays for itself over and over with the great advice. When I do get my 993, is PCA an organization that is worth joining?
Old 01-22-2004, 01:28 AM
Mike in O.C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes PCA is worth joining.
Go to www.porscheclub.com and click on "POC Tech Stations" for a list of inspection stations in your area. This is the POC's website.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Porsche Owners Club (POC) is Not Porsche Club of Americia (PCA)

separate entities
Old 01-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pick up the phone and give them a buzz.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:14 AM
solsrch
Pro

Awhile back when I was looking to replace my 930 but was not a PCA member, I had the opposite experience. I was looking to get a PPI in Florida and didn't have any idea who to trust. I went to the PCA regional web site and emailed to three club officers to ask for any suggestions. I got responses from all three, two were exceptionally helpful. It convinced me to join PCA. Of course, all this was before I found Rennlist and joined it last year. At this point I'm planning on staying a member of each. Both offer something different and both support my Porsche habit.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:44 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm also currently searching and have emailed a couple of different PCA chapter officials of the region where the car was located. I have nothing but excellent things to say about these people. They have been all very helpful.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Don,

PCA is great, but maybe you just ran into some overworked people. I've met some fantastic people through DE's and club events.

If you need help over here in the Baltimore area, let me know.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:55 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As President of a PCA region (not in Cal. by the way), I apologize for your bad experiences with PCA. I don't want to make an excuse for these officers, but I will tell you that most regions elect new officers in Nov-Dec but the web sites are usually not changed (national inparticular) until after February. The Region Reports with new Officers and Email addresses are due to the National Office by January 15. So maybe you have emailed during a changing of the guard (still not an excuse as the out going officer should still be helpful). Email them again and/or try different officers or regions.

I have had nothing but very positive experiences dealing with PCA. I have emailed a couple of regions inquiring about things unrelated to Porsche and have always got good information. Give them another try. When you get, or even before you get, your Porsche join your local region. You will met some local fanatics that just love to talk cars.

I see you are already a Rennlist member so you know the value of the place. I think you can find some of the same passion and knowledge at a local level with PCA.

Brian
President of the Southern Indiana Region of PCA
Old 01-22-2004, 11:09 AM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

Don C,
Access to the driving events that the PCA has makes a membership worth every penny to me. When I bought my 993 I emailed my local PCA, and they gave me advice about shops to try. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out as well for you.

Cheers,
Old 01-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some PCA regions are lame and some are great. I'm lucky to live in the Potomac region and I can't imagine it gets any better than it is here. If you're open to a long distance purchase, there a lot of very knowledgeable folks here who can thoroughly check out a car for you.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't e-mail me neighbor, as you would have gotten an answer. I get these inquiries all the time, and have done walkarounds.

Of course we don't let the really good cars leave our Region.

Seriously, when I was looking several years ago, I found the local PCA Region officers in Columbus, Ohio, Asheville, NC, Boston, and San Diego to be very helpful.

Don't let a few bad experiences reflect badly on PCA.

Pete Lech
Membership Chairman
Orange Coast Region
Old 01-22-2004, 05:51 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Each time I've asked for help from a PCA region I've gotten very good responses. Hopefully your emails were just mistakenly overlooked.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Don C
Racer

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like most everyone has very positive experiences with PCA.

Maybe I just hit them during the holiday season. I know when I am gone from my office for a week I typically have about 1000 emails when I return. Sometimes it's a month before I get through them.

I'm convinced.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:24 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Don C
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like most everyone has very positive experiences with PCA.

I'm convinced.
Good to hear. Join the PCA in your region. www.pca.org. It's a terrific organization. If you love your porsche, you'll be glad you joined the PCA.

Quick Reply: What's with PCA