Sponsored by:

Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:30 AM
RC DOUBLE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio question

Okay, I replaced the battery in my car, however in hooking it back up I got the order wrong and created a spark. Got it hooked up correctly started the car and everything worked fine except the radio did not work. Did some reading on this forum and pulled the radio to find out the fuse had blown, replaced the fuse, put the code back in the radio and it works. However there is no sound from the speakers? (yes I know where the volume button is) I have also checked the amp under the seat but I do not see a fuse for that. I have the original CDR-210 radio and the Nokia amp. I have also checked other fuses in the fuse box, but they are all fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 01:36 PM
jansan946
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the CDR 210 radio and double-check that the C1 plug is correctly installed. That harness carries line level output for all speakers to the Nokia amplifier under the passenger seat. If C1 isn't correctly installed, there will be no sound.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 AM
RC DOUBLE
Rennlist Member

I double checked last night and the C1 plug is correctly installed in the right spot. I guess I may need to take this to an audio store to see what they can figure out?
Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

The amp definitely has a fuse- did you check it?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

I had a similar issue with the CDR-220 in my Boxster a few years back. I tried everything and finally gave up and took it in. Ended up the radio itself was bad. There is a chance the fuse didn't catch the surge before it damaged something.

If you have a Rennlister close by that can loan you a radio to test it you may save yourself a trip to the radio shop. A CDR-210, CR-210, CDR-220 or CR-220 will all work as a test radio.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:15 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

If you end up needing a new radio, I basically have a brand new Alpine CDE-HD149BT with the Porsche wiring harness that all you have to is plug it in. I have decided to delete the radio and go with a headless DSP instead.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vKxgKB...hoCMUsQAvD_BwE
Old 09-05-2018, 12:10 PM
RC DOUBLE
Rennlist Member

The radio appears to be working fine, it shows all the digital readout for the station and song that is playing, just no sound. I pulled the passenger seat out and have checked the amp but did not see a fuse for it?
Old 09-05-2018, 12:38 PM
jansan946
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck W.'s suggestion is excellent. If you substitute the head unit and the system plays, then the problem is the head unit, not the Nokia amp.

You said the radio works, but there's no sound. Do you have sound when you insert a CD? Fuse #38 in the frunk is for the "radio booster," that amplifies the antenna reception for the head unit. If that fuse is blown, you may see station frequencies when tuning the radio but the signal reception is too weak. You replaced the 10 amp. fuse on the rear of the head unit chassis, correct?

The Nokia amp gets its triggered power through a DIN connector from the head unit. IIRC, it is not independently fused.

Substitute the head unit and let's see what happens.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM
RC DOUBLE
Rennlist Member

I did insert a CD into the head unit and still no sound. I will however double check Fuse #38 in the frunk. And yes, I did have to replace the fuse on the back of the head unit, prior
to that I was not getting anything to display on the head unit, I was hoping that was all it was. I should have access to a fellow rennlister's head unit in 2 weeks, so I will try that as
well. And thanks to all you guys for your suggestions!
Old 09-06-2018, 01:04 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

A tester can be made out of an earbud where the line level audio output to the amp at the head or under the seat at the amp should put out enough of a signal that you can hear it in the earbud. Just cut off the earbud plug and use the two wires going to one of the earbuds as testing connections.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:15 AM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
If you end up needing a new radio, I basically have a brand new Alpine CDE-HD149BT with the Porsche wiring harness that all you have to is plug it in. I have decided to delete the radio and go with a headless DSP instead.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-vKxgKB...hoCMUsQAvD_BwE
Sorry a bit off topic. Samurai, could you share some info on your new setup?
Old 08-03-2019, 06:57 PM
DES993
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran into the identical problem. I have the Amplifier + signal going to the amplifier but no line out signals coming from the radio. Did you end up replacing the unit or did you find something else.

thanks
Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM
RC DOUBLE
Rennlist Member

Well the radio itself was fine once I replaced the fuse, however it was the amp that was the issue, so I am having to replace that.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (08-05-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:18 PM
DES993
8th Gear

I found an original part numbered amp and that indeed resolved the problem. I found that I was able to replace the amp without removing the seat. The going was slow but a small ratchet with a Phillips head did the trick.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:10 PM
DES993
8th Gear

Default Radio Question

Originally Posted by DES993
I found an original part numbered amp and that indeed resolved the problem. I found that I was able to replace the amp without removing the seat. The going was slow but a small ratchet with a Phillips head did the trick.
I resolved my problem with the Nokia Amp. Transistor (T1) and Capacitor (C1) were bad.. It was a bit of a trick separating the pc board from the heat sync, which I accomplished by sliding the pc board to the side. This released the clips that held the ICs to the sync.

The transistor is BD135 and the capacitor is 25v 220uf. Both components are readily available.

Quick Reply: Radio question