Sponsored by:

Cold, Cold, Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 10:53 AM
aap
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold, Cold, Cold

It is miserably cold here in the N. East. Sunday is my day to spend time with my PCar. Bright and sunny but about 10 degrees. Other than ample time to warm up, do you do anything different when driving in this weather?
I also plan to wax today (finally getting to "step 3") I know waxing in very hot weather can be challenging, anyone know any reasons not to wax in extreme cold?
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Waxing in the cold can cause a whole different set of problems. Wax will take forever to haze. You'll also find that even after it has hazed, it will be very difficult to remove. Good luck and stay warm...

Matt
(Looking at a low of -1F last night)
Old 01-11-2004, 11:07 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I know what you mean. Woke up to a nippy 47F and it is only cimbing to the mid 60s.... Darn this winter...
Old 01-11-2004, 11:13 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would not wax unless the temp. is above 60 degrees. You have the weather that was in Chicago early this week. Today we have a heat wave (almost 40 degrees).
Old 01-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Nice one Bob. I know the feeling. It felt like 47 in my apartment this morning and I wish it was 60 out. Although, I am noticing that you up at 7 this morning.

Matt
Old 01-11-2004, 11:27 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I recently tried waxing the car when it was near freezing. The wax never 'set'. You live and learn...
Old 01-11-2004, 11:34 AM
aap
Advanced

well then...I've stripped the old wax off, polished and was prepared to do the waxing. But based on suggestions will wait...Do I dare take it out of the garage for a sunday drive with no "protective shield". I don't know about this stuff, is it really going to do any damage?
Old 01-11-2004, 11:36 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 493 Posts

Not to highjack the thread, but I was wondering about driving in temp's below freezing with suumer tires (so3's specifically). My assumption is that they will provide much less grip when combined with cold roadways. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:43 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 442 Posts

I would wait to drive it! Patience is a virtue - that's what my dad always told me, though I'm about the least patient person I know...

If you're mid-wax-preparation, I would definitely wait to finish it. Then you won't have to reclean it, re-repare it, etc. So, your garage is THAT cold that you can't even wax it? I guess you don't have a portable heater you could put in the garage to warm the space up enough to finish the job? Not many people have one these days. I haven't needed one since... college days!

Chill out (pun intended) and wait till the temp rises a bit. It's freakin cold as heck here (coldest day in 8 years yesterday) too, and I REALLY wanted to clean my 993. Maybe I'll do it in the garage with a bucket and lukewarm water. I hate driving a dusty, semi-dirty 911. It just drives SO much better, and of course handles better when it's clean. In fact, nothing ever goes wrong with it as long as it's clean!

Yeah right.

Steve
Old 01-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally posted by jford
Not to highjack the thread, but I was wondering about driving in temp's below freezing with suumer tires (so3's specifically). My assumption is that they will provide much less grip when combined with cold roadways. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated.
I can't speak for SO3's but high performance tires need to be adequately heated up for them to provide optimal grip. Be careful for the first few miles. It's very easy to goose the throttle through a corner, have the front tires lose grip, back off of the throttle and then have the rear tires break free. Kind of nerve-wracking when you have a Lincoln Navigator following close behind. I'm not sure the tires ever get up to max grip in winter street driving with the temps in the single digits.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:02 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Hi Bob,

Top of the morning to you.

I get out at 6:30 this morning, the inside thermostat says 62 degrees, and the outside temp was 46 degrees.

Now it is sunny and beautiful out, me and the Mrs. will go for a drive on Skyline, then stop off at the gym. This will be the first time she has an extensive ride in the car. Thanks for your help now she believes the car is 'safe' to drive. I will work on her on the 'brake safety' issue.

Life is good.

CP
Old 01-11-2004, 12:45 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

HI Guys, I guess the cold weather I came into when I arrived in WA on Monday has finally reached the East. It was -7 F when I stepped off the plan Monday and snowed the next 3 days.

Summer times do not perform well in Temperatures under 40F. Even though you drive them and the friction will heat the tires, somewhat, the compound of the tires never comes to a temperature where they provide any real grip. For winter driving, (cold weather, light snow) get winter tires, they perform in the cold.

Something I came across some years ago is that car products, waxes, polishes, wheel cleaner etc go bad at temps less than 32 F. Look at the labels, most say to store at temps above 40F. Good Luck
Old 01-11-2004, 12:52 PM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viperbob,

my heart bleeds for you.........only a high of 60* ish!!
Old 01-11-2004, 01:09 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

dont do too much work on your car when its that cold out, your fingers are likely to break-off
Old 01-11-2004, 01:17 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

OK the time is now 9:11, temp has warmed up to 58F so it seems like the appropriate time to head to the garage for some projects....

Don't worry, I have a heater in the garage so my fingers won't freeze...

Quick Reply: Cold, Cold, Cold