993 Forum 1995-1998

No Dash Lights In 1997 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 02:18 AM
sparky57
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Dash Lights In 1997 993

Recently purchased a 97 993. While driving at night my dash lights turned off. I switched the headlight switch off and then back on. Dash lights turned back on for about a minute then they turned off again. Repeated the off/on cycling of the headlight switch. Same thing. Dash lights turned on for about a minute. Now they won't turn on at all. Headlights and taillights turn on with the headlight switch, just no dash lights. Prior owner says he experienced the same issue and tried changing the dimmer switch, headlight switch and finally replaced a relay. He can't remember which relay he replaced. He said the relay replacement fixed the issue. Anyone know which specific relay is related to the dash lights? Does the intermittent failure description, prior to complete failure, sound like a failing relay?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

See this thread, maybe try a search on R24 and R11 for more results.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-working.html?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

In 2011 I had the same issue with my '97 993tt. After a lot of troubleshooting, I found that relay 24 was the culprit.

Here is a link to a thread I started on it......

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ut-solved.html
Old 08-21-2018, 05:36 AM
sparky57
Banned

So I replaced the R24 relay and still having the same problem. I did discover though that the dash lights will remain on for hours with only the parking lights on. But when I switch the headlights on the dash lights stay on for a few minutes and then they go out. My car has the Litronic headlights option. I wonder if the headlights are drawing too much current through the relay and cause it to get to hot? Maybe the relay is shutting off to protect itself? Anyone else experience this problem with their Litronic headlights?
Old 08-21-2018, 06:39 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 238 Posts

This has nothing to do with the headlights, this is a completely different circuit.
You could extract the R24 illumination control unit (relay) and jump terminal 58 and 58d on the relay socket in order to test. If the dashboard lights then works, you probably have a defective control unit. It could also be a defective potentiometer (the illumination adjustment ****)
If there's no light when jumped, you probably have a problem with the light switch.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM
sparky57
Banned

Originally Posted by ToreB
This has nothing to do with the headlights, this is a completely different circuit.
You could extract the R24 illumination control unit (relay) and jump terminal 58 and 58d on the relay socket in order to test. If the dashboard lights then works, you probably have a defective control unit. It could also be a defective potentiometer (the illumination adjustment ****)
If there's no light when jumped, you probably have a problem with the light switch.
Cheers,
Tore
Thanks Tore. I've already jumped terminals 58 and 58d and the dashboard lights lit up. This is the second R24 control unit I've tried and am getting the same failure mode. The illumination adjustment **** (aka dimmer switch) and the headlight switch are also newly replaced. It's interesting though that the dash lights only go out when the headlights are on for several minutes. When only the parking lights are on, the dash lights remain on.
Old 09-22-2022, 12:58 AM
sutherbys
1st Gear

Default What fixed the no dash lights ?

Originally Posted by sparky57
Recently purchased a 97 993. While driving at night my dash lights turned off. I switched the headlight switch off and then back on. Dash lights turned back on for about a minute then they turned off again. Repeated the off/on cycling of the headlight switch. Same thing. Dash lights turned on for about a minute. Now they won't turn on at all. Headlights and taillights turn on with the headlight switch, just no dash lights. Prior owner says he experienced the same issue and tried changing the dimmer switch, headlight switch and finally replaced a relay. He can't remember which relay he replaced. He said the relay replacement fixed the issue. Anyone know which specific relay is related to the dash lights? Does the intermittent failure description, prior to complete failure, sound like a failing relay?
HI, I have a friend with a 1996 993 with the same problem, the dash lights will work with the park lamps on but not with the headlights on.
I never saw your post on what actually fixed the problem ?

Quick Reply: No Dash Lights In 1997 993