HELP; My Dash Lights (Instrument Illumination) are Out. SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts
Default HELP; My Dash Lights (Instrument Illumination) are Out. SOLVED

OK…. I’ve done all I can do (Search Function, Google, owner’s manual and Porsche 993 The Essential Companion) & now I need to ask the experts.

My dashes light don’t work. I’ve checked every fuse in the front fuse compartment. There was a past posting that said there are two relays behind the dash on the left side and one controls the dash lights. Mine don’t; one is for the door warning chime and the other is for the blinkers. Both work.

I have done several things lately that may or may not have contributed towards this problem. I have removed the speedometer and replaced the odometer gear; I swapped out the radio; I replaced the antenna booster, I replaced the steering wheel and I replaced the DME.

There are no other problems with the car. All of the other lights work; inside and out. All instruments work. The radios backlight comes on.

I pulled every fuse and checked each individually. They are all good. I checked the wiring to the dimmer **** and they are all secure. I could see any wires that I disturbed that would cause this problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Hey, if this is the biggest car problem I have this year; it’ll be a good car year!

Last edited by Chuck W.; 03-26-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Are the lights in series and you may've broken a wire when you did the speedo?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:00 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, sounds like a wire may have been pulled. Take a look in the areas you've been working around.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuck, You may want to check and see if you turn the **** on the dash by the fuel and oil gauge when you were working on your Porsche? It may have been turn to the off position....
Old 03-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK... I removed the radio and left it out. I disconnected the antenna booster. I took the speedometer apart and ensured all wires were connected and reinstalled it. Still no dash lights. I checked the dimmer **** each time. I found some postings that talked about the ashtray light causing problems but I haven't tapped into it. I took it out and followed the wires and all appears good. I looked for any loose wires... none. UGH!!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:28 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dash ground?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:31 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Does your ashtray light work? It was the source of my similar problem. I had spliced it out to make room for something else. Had to reinstall the ashtray light just to get all the dash lights to work again.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ashtray? Where the hell is the ashtray? LOL I'd completely forgotten that I had an ashtray.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRM
Does your ashtray light work? It was the source of my similar problem. I had spliced it out to make room for something else. Had to reinstall the ashtray light just to get all the dash lights to work again.
My ashtray light is not working, but I figured it was linked to the dash lights. I have never tapped into it. I found your posting on your dash light problems and followed the ashtray light wire and didn't see any issues.

About a year ago I replaced the light bulb because it was burnt out.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Dash ground?
+1...I think you need to get hold of a wiring diagram and start tracing down ground points.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm... and you are SURE the bulbs did not all burn out from a spike in current?

Voltage meter time methinks.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ugh..... I took all of the advise and put several more hours of tracing wires and looking for any answer. Nothing.

I have an appointment to take it to Tony at Callas Rennsport on Monday, April 11, at 8 AM. Who knows, I could still figure it out before then.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
Ashtray? Where the hell is the ashtray? LOL I'd completely forgotten that I had an ashtray.
This is where the boost controller is located
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you checking for power at the wires? It's tedious but working your way from the fusebox to the bulbs with a voltmeter is really the only thorough way to test this. If you have power at all the wires to the bulbs but no lights then the ground is the obvious problem.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I could not stop working on the dash light issue. So I started looking at the relays and used the search feature. I came across a thread started on 08/29/2001 by Curtis - '97 Targa entitled "How do I jump this relay?". (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...his-relay.html) In the post he explained his dash lights were out, his fuse was good and he wanted to jump the relay (relay 24) to see if that was the problem. Gert responded and told him which ones to jump. I followed Gert's instructions and the dash lights came on.

I initially didn't consider the relay based on another posting I found that quoted a Porsche parts department as saying he had never heard of one of those relays going out. My fuel pump relay went out last week so I should have given it more weight. I have ordered a new relay.

I hope that when someone else has this issue this thread can help them as that ten year old one helped me. Curtis hasn't posted here for several years, but I owe him and Gert a big thanks.

The relay part number is 964 618 103 00. I ordered it from Sunset Porsche for $75. It's coming from Germany so it will be here in about five weeks.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 03-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP; My Dash Lights (Instrument Illumination) are Out. SOLVED