Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Introduction: Motul

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:07 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Can you post the Zinc and Phosphorus numbers for your 300v and 4100 Power oils in 15w-50?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 AM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motul 300v Competition oil is great stuff! Only oil I'll use in my car.

Welcome to the site
Old 06-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Motul
Unfortunately, we cannot give out such data. What I can say these oils are both "Full SAPS" products. Meaning, they both have very high concentrations of metallic additives (anti-wear additives in most cases) that will give your engine a very high level of protection.

The 300V EsterCore formula is unique in many ways, one of those ways is a Group 5 ester that has higher anti wear protection vs common synthetics. So with the combination of that specialized base oil and high concentration of metallic additives, the 300V will enable your engine to make the most power without sacrificing reliability.
not really a good start. Why can't you give out such data? Mobil publishes a fancy chart. Its not like its some trade secret. Marketing fluff is fine for your website or the concours crowd, but in a tech forum, important data is appreciated
Old 06-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Unfortunately, we cannot give out such data. What I can say these oils are both "Full SAPS" products. Meaning, they both have very high concentrations of metallic additives (anti-wear additives in most cases) that will give your engine a very high level of protection.

The 300V EsterCore formula is unique in many ways, one of those ways is a Group 5 ester that has higher anti wear protection vs common synthetics. So with the combination of that specialized base oil and high concentration of metallic additives, the 300V will enable your engine to make the most power without sacrificing reliability.
Really? Many of your competitors publish Zn and P figures freely. If I did a VOA I could get the numbers but I’d rather have them from the manufacturer of the oil than some testing lab. It’s disappointing when you post here and cannot provide basic information which while not the be all and end all is significant to choosing the right oil for our cars.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at it this way, the decision over which oil to use is just a little bit easier.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:50 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Motul has stellar reputation.
But, Nick and Motul, re: Zinc and other inherent critical components and contents:
For many on this Forum who are serious in choices of lubricants and other componente based on data, not hype or anecdote, this is not good policy.
"Cannot give out such data"? Change the verbiage to "will not..."
Poor/pour beginning here on a topic that is a perennial slippery slope anyway.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:01 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by knorrena
Look at it this way, the decision over which oil to use is just a little bit easier.
knorrena -
Well said.
Mobil 1 15w-50 or Motul 300V 15w-50 . . . Comme ci, comme ça

As published on the Mobil 1 website: Zinc 1300ppm

"Please reference our Mobil 1™ Product Guide for a quick look at specifications including zinc and phosphorus, as well as manufacturer approvals for Mobil 1 motor oils."
Old 06-15-2018, 11:17 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So what kind of discounts are we talking about here?

Just asking because I am cheap. ;-)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Unfortunately, I wouldn't even consider using an oil without knowing the amount of zinc and phosphorus that is in it....
Old 06-15-2018, 01:26 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
not really a good start. Why can't you give out such data? Mobil publishes a fancy chart. Its not like its some trade secret. Marketing fluff is fine for your website or the concours crowd, but in a tech forum, important data is appreciated
Well said quadcammer!

I seriously doubt we will ever see Motul 300v price points, competitive with those of Mobil1.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:13 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Probably not the weight you are looking for , but it came from here : https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil, synthetic = 112,464 psi
This Motorcycle Road Racing oil is from France and comes in liter bottles (slightly more than a quart). At the time this oil was tested in spring 2014, it cost $24.25 per bottle. And with the shipping cost added to that, the final cost was about $33.00 per bottle (shipping was all inside the U.S.), making it THE most expensive motor oil I’ve ever tested.
zinc = 1724 ppm
phosphorus = 1547 ppm
moly = 481 ppm
calcium = 3141 ppm
TBN = 7.4
This oil contains sufficient amounts of the components required (detergent, acid neutralizer, etc) for normal change intervals in street driven vehicles. But, it has way too much zinc/phos for use in cat equipped vehicles. However, it is well suited for Race Cars, Street Hotrods and Classic cars.

Quick Reply: Introduction: Motul