993 Forum 1995-1998

Spoiler did not retract

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 01:43 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Spoiler did not retract

At the end of about 3 hours of continuous driving (in 90 + degree weather, if it matters) I reached a stopping point and turned the car off. When I got out I noticed the spoiler had not retracted.

I tried the switch on the center console and the spoiler retracted immediately and without noise or incident.

After a break, I then drove about 20 minutes further reaching 70+ mph. When I stopped again the spoiler was retracted, though of course I don't know if it ever deployed since it can't be seen...

Will the spoiler extend and retract with the switch if the controller is dead or intermittent?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

Had the same thing happen on my new 993. Haven't dug into it yet, but hope someone here has the answer!
Old 06-12-2018, 02:35 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
At the end of about 3 hours of continuous driving (in 90 + degree weather, if it matters) I reached a stopping point and turned the car off. When I got out I noticed the spoiler had not retracted.

I tried the switch on the center console and the spoiler retracted immediately and without noise or incident.

After a break, I then drove about 20 minutes further reaching 70+ mph. When I stopped again the spoiler was retracted, though of course I don't know if it ever deployed since it can't be seen...

Will the spoiler extend and retract with the switch if the controller is dead or intermittent?

If it were me, I would try your test again, only this time with a light tack masking tape on the spoiler, so you will know if it deployed or not.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:56 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Have someone follow you to verify deployment.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

The spoiler can indeed be seen in the rear view mirror when it is raised. Just look at the bottom of the rear window and You will notice that You actually can see like 1/3 inch of the spoiler! And You also hear a click in the cabin every time it is raised or lowered!

Last edited by Railmaster.; 06-12-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-12-2018, 06:25 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My first thought is that you bumped the spoiler switch at some point during your long drive. If you press up on the spoiler switch while the ignition is on this will override the speed-sensitive up/down behavior for that drive only. The other possibility along the same lines is loose switch contacts.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Spoiler can easily be seen in the reflections on the darker clean cars in the next lane as you pass them.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by davesnothere
My first thought is that you bumped the spoiler switch at some point during your long drive. If you press up on the spoiler switch while the ignition is on this will override the speed-sensitive up/down behavior for that drive only. The other possibility along the same lines is loose switch contacts.
You know I was thinking this as well, but hesitated...if it's speed sensor related, how could it be a loose or malfunctioning micro-switch that is not causing actuation? ...But then I thought, if one of the micro switches does not get switched, How does the module know if the spoiler is in the up or down position? So this seems possible as well as probable.

Other thoughts...

Possibly the control module is acting in an intermittent manner and might need replacement?
I would certainly see if there is a way to test the module, before I thought about replacing it.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:57 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by davesnothere
I do plan to have a buddy follow me down the road to confirm operation, but I guess it is possible the switch was bumped. I hadn't thought of this. I will certainly look into testing before replacing the control module if it does seem to be the issue.

Maybe the basket handle on the 95 interferes, but I'm fairly certain the spoiler can't be seen out the back window at least by me. I have seen the entire car reflected in the polished wheel of an 18-wheeler cruising along beside me. It made for a very cool fish-eye view of the car!
Old 06-13-2018, 12:29 PM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I kind of had the same thing happen on my 96. I figured it wasn't a motor or gear drive because it would go up okay. I had the micro switches replaced as it was the cheapest of the parts to replace. I never had another problem with it and that was over a year ago. I think mine went up and would not go down even with the switch. I would then drive it (before the micro switch replacement) and it would work fine one time and not go down the next. Anyhow replace the micro switch and it has been fine.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 707 Likes on 516 Posts

Plus 1
Old 06-21-2018, 02:03 PM
nine9six
Banned

I do plan to have a buddy follow me down the road to confirm operation, but I guess it is possible the switch was bumped. I hadn't thought of this. I will certainly look into testing before replacing the control module if it does seem to be the issue.

Maybe the basket handle on the 95 interferes, but I'm fairly certain the spoiler can't be seen out the back window at least by me. I have seen the entire car reflected in the polished wheel of an 18-wheeler cruising along beside me. It made for a very cool fish-eye view of the car!
End result?
Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

Do the override mod and deploy it when you want. drove me crazy how much hat thing goes up and down.... just feels like another problem waiting to happen.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
End result?
I hope to get a buddy to check it out tomorrow. Sadly, I've only driven the car a few times in the last week and not with anyone else watching. In both cases it was retracted when I stopped the car, so it's either functioning normally or not at all.

I did confirm I can't see the spoiler deployed from inside the car.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:48 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

For now, at least, it appears the spoiler is functioning normally. I'll keep an eye on it.

Oh, and I stand corrected. If you look very carefully through the narrow space below the basket-handle, a glimpse of the spoiler can be seen!

Quick Reply: Spoiler did not retract