Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passed new CA smog test...woo-hoo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Passed new CA smog test...woo-hoo!

Well the notice from CA DMV came "SMOG INSPECTION REQUIRED"...ugh.

Well after several weeks of bad weather and thoughts of stock chip or not, it was a nice sunny day today. I thought here is the chance to get the smog test. Get the car nice and warmed up, first do a pretest here at the shop and lets see how this new fangled CA stuff goes...

I decided to try the actual test with the Steve W. chip in the car as emissions looked fine on my 4 gas analyzer without a load. I would expect the state's new 15 and 25 MPH test to help emissions wise as long as my HC's looked good in general.

Well, here are the result from the test station:

15mph - 1st gear
HC (ppm): 3
CO (%): 0.00
NO (ppm): 30

25 mph - 2nd gear ( the guy tried first and could not hold it in test range...)
HC (ppm): 1
CO (%): 0.01
NO (ppm): 15

The most nerve racking thing was watching the low dollar/hour tech wrestle the light flywheel'd car onto the dyno rollers. I would have much preferred to have set the car myself. Good thing the Xanax was close by;^) (Just kidding)

Anyway for those curious, the "CA special" 91 Oct. Steve W. chip passed without issue. A good thing all around !
Old 01-03-2004, 10:43 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the Steve W. chip and have no problems with the emissions tests up here in Wa. state...not to mention the fun I have with results of chipping!
Old 01-03-2004, 10:53 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Darn. I will have to miss that whole experience this year (thank goodness) and next year with the AWD, I don't do the dyno. SWEET.

Congrats Jim. DId the new package show up? I'd love to come over and take a look at it when you are starting. Just let me know..

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, you AWD guys have it nice. I was able to alieve a women's fear as she waited with her SUV. She was watching the car in front of me and wondering if her husband understood what he sent her to do !

Personally, I was hopiong for a braking test instead of a smog test. Now if these smog tests let you do a couple of power pulls....nah, thinking more about the tech.....uh no....

As far as the "package" goes, it's not here yet, Bob. I hope by the middle of the month to be "tearing" into it ;^) That will be some fun. Stay tuned.

For the moment, it's back to fuind raising !!!

Regards
Old 01-03-2004, 11:23 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

jim,

congrats on your pass. on a sidenote, don't you think CO % of 0.00 and 0.01 is running way too lean?

Just curious. I was told that the optimal range is 0.05% for CO with the caviat that measuring it at the tail pipe is not the optimal place to measure it.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 01-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Boris:

Relaize that these numbers are with the cat and the O2 hooked up. I would agree about the leaness issue if we were sniffing actual, non-catylzed emissions.

Happy new year !
Old 01-04-2004, 12:18 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Jim Morton

As far as the "package" goes, it's not here yet, Bob. I hope by the middle of the month to be "tearing" into it ;^) That will be some fun. Stay tuned.

For the moment, it's back to fuind raising !!!

Regards
Good luck with the "package" I pressume you got my PM

In February it looks I'm going to be driving through California on my way to Vancouver. I'd love to stop by and see you "tearing" into it!

Old 01-04-2004, 12:39 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Danny:

Yes, I got the PM - Thanks !

As far as your drive through, you are welcome any time, just call !

Maybe we can arrange a little Bay Area Rennlisters dinner around the timing of your drive through It would be a pleasure to host you.

As far as the "tearing" goes, it will be quite well planned and careful. I can assure you :^)

Regards
Old 01-04-2004, 12:55 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

As I am due this Feb for the dreaded smog check, I wonder if I tell the smog guy my car is AWD and wont have to bite my nails watching someone else monkey-drive my car? Think that will work?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:19 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Jim Morton
Danny:

Yes, I got the PM - Thanks !

As far as your drive through, you are welcome any time, just call !

Maybe we can arrange a little Bay Area Rennlisters dinner around the timing of your drive through It would be a pleasure to host you.

As far as the "tearing" goes, it will be quite well planned and careful. I can assure you :^)

Regards
That will be great!!!! I will post the dates as soon as I make my final arrangements but it will most likely be the first half of February!

As far as the "tearing" I'm sure of it I just want to see how you do it

On the subject, I also got Steve's chip from Mark and I will use it on my cabrio which is going to pass inspection in Vancouver. I too will now have to deal with 91 fuel . I will post the results but it will be interesting to confirm this as well.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

You guys should clarify your chip source, as there's another Steve W.
supplying performance (so the claim is) chips. I assume your source
is Steve Weiner who is a dealer for the actual chip supplier. Others
viewing this thread may not conclude the same.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2
Old 01-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 728 Likes on 337 Posts

I think its safe to say that the vast majority of rennlisters know who Steve W. is......
Old 01-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some parts of Ohio have the roller test, like where I live. My car is due this year. I've never let them put my car on the rollers due to relative incompetence of the people that work there... it's scary. So far I've only been questioned once when I say it can't go on the rollers... told them the traction control would go crazy if they tried it. Other times they just say OK, no problem.

I read today that the rollers are no longer required for 1996 and later vehicles... they will just plug into the OBD-2 to read the codes. I'll breathe much easier next time I go...
Old 01-05-2004, 12:24 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by chris walrod
As I am due this Feb for the dreaded smog check, I wonder if I tell the smog guy my car is AWD and wont have to bite my nails watching someone else monkey-drive my car? Think that will work?
Don't think so, dude. Their database knows.....

Just make sure your car is good and warmed up and you won't have any problems. I passed with barely measureable numbers.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:15 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chris,

My experience is that the techs know nothing... four times I've told them it can't go on the rollers. Three times they asked me if it was 4wd... I told them "ugh, yeah sure" those three times and they did the simple idle test. The only time the person asked "why?" I made up something about the traction control would fry the brakes. That was good enough for the tech... it didn't go on the rollers.

The people who work in the OH smog check places (and probably most others) are not the most knowledgeable about cars, especially Porsches. I always get a kick out of watching them verify the catalytic converter is in place... the put that mirror on wheels under the drivers door and look around for a bit... I don't know what they see but somehow that look is good enough to get a check-off that the cat is there, even though the cat is about 4 feet aft of where they're looking.

The reason I don't let them take my car on the rollers? I've had a small pickup truck with a manual transmission bounced of the rollers into a garage door... good thing the truck was only worth about $100. There's no way I'm risking my 993!!!!!

Quick Reply: Passed new CA smog test...woo-hoo!