Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torx bit or socket to remove airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 12:53 AM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torx bit or socket to remove airbag?

I finally got around to installing leather center console today. Planned also to change SW to the Techart I picked up awhile ago at CEC. When reading the DIY on P-Car it wasn't clear to me whether I need to get a #30 Torx bit or socket to remove the two screws. Can anyone help me out here?
Old 01-03-2004, 06:51 AM
Blizzard
Instructor

It is a #30 Torx.

Remember to disconnect the battery before removal so you won't get an airbag warning light.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:15 PM
DrZ
Racer

I checked out the small hole to see if a standard 1/4 hex driver would fit. It didn't, so neither a bit or socket attachment would be of any use here. Looking again at the picture in P-car with the airbag removed, the remaining Torx screws seem to have the Torx pattern "in" the head as opposed to on top. Checking the Internet I found that Ace has a T30 6' shaft screw driver which looks like the tool that will work.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:54 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of my cars use a 4mm allen wrench. I don't know about the torx, but it seems like lots of folks have that. Does a 4mm allen fit in a torx?? Be sure to disconnect the battery for they say at least 20 minutes to aviod a check light upon reinstallation. The airbag plug simply pulls straight up - I use pliers very carefully. Good Luck,
Old 01-03-2004, 03:01 PM
DrZ
Racer

Didn't think about that. I have a long enough one to try before heading out to ACE.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

My 1/4 inch Torx socket fit in the small hole, but you have to push it in firmly. The bolts are not very tight. If you are putting on a 3-spoke, like I did, you'll find the hole to be somewhat larger.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:52 PM
DrZ
Racer

I tried the allen which fit but couldn't loosen the screw so I stopped before stripping it. Went to Ace with 4-spoke Techart steering wheel in hand. They had the 6"T30 driver which should be adequate in dealing with the screws. No luck with the M24 socket however, will try Sears tommorrow. Will I need an extender? if so what length?

No one has mentioned as to whether a puller is needed to remove the current wheel. Looking at all those splines I wondering how the wheel will just pop off after the nut is removed. Has anyone run into this problem. Dealer BTW offered to do the job for "around $100"
Old 01-04-2004, 04:56 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pelican Parts has a 4" extended torx socket that does the trick. You will probably need an extension to remove the wheel.

You will not need a puller as the once you remove the nut, the wheel comes off very easily.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:49 PM
DrZ
Racer

Thanks adsc4s, probably no surprise to you that the Torx driver didn't work. Very very tight like every other nut or screw in this car that I have encountered so far. Since I have to go back to the dealer anyway to get my alternator belt re-tightened, I might as well ask them to loosen the Torx screws for me. I think I can then handle the M24 nut. Good to know that the wheel will come right off(I hope).

Quick Reply: Torx bit or socket to remove airbag?