Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wrote a book!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018 | 08:55 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Tlaloc75,

I finished reading "End of the Wild" last night. My first thought was the story was not what I expected, though I can't say what it was I did expect! At any rate, I quite enjoyed it and I found it a page-turner - you might say it pulled me in like the fog to Hurst Island. (Sorry...)

I've only been to the Vancouver area once, but we did take a ferry from Vancouver to Victoria Island while there so I have a bit of a mental image for the sea/landscape in the story. It is truly a beautiful and compelling part of the world. It's not at all hard to believe there is deep, old magic there. And while I'm not a sailor, I have acted as movable ballast many times for a buddy on his J-22 running across lakes and sitting on life jackets in the water drinking beer when the wind quit. It's not a bad life at all...

Overall, I'd say it was a great first effort! The narrative was a bit choppy at times, but certainly not a problem. The story flowed nicely and the details hung together well. Your opening line reminded me immediately of "The Martian" and I felt a bit of Michael Creighton's "Timeline" in the vision quests, though your story is completely different than both. I'd love to know more about the history and native tribes of the Pacific Northwest, and maybe this will set me on the path. I'd certainly read you again should you have a sophomore effort.

Nicely done!

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 05-04-2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-04-2018 | 09:49 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Wow, Speedy, thank you for your comments! To be compared to the Martian and to Creighton is high praise indeed.

I think I understand what you mean about it not being what you expected. I hope that was a good thing - that it kept you interested, surprised and on your 'toes' so to speak. I love that it got you interested in the area and the history. It's not a very well known or well-understood area, both because of how remote it is and how dense the landscape is. It's not an easy area to explore, once you are off the water, and most of the history gets buried under layers of trees and brush.

Most of the history that I described is based in fact and almost everything that happens to 'John Jewitt' in the story is historically accurate, even down to specific words spoken - truly historical fiction. If you found that part interesting, you can pick up his journal describing the years he spent in slavery in Nootka Sound. I found it fascinating.

I'm going to put together a photo album of the locations in the book - since almost all of it is set in real places. That way you can see what it looks like up there. The area you took the ferry (Vancouver to Victoria through the Gulf Islands) gave you a taste of what it's like, but as you go north it becomes bigger, wetter, wilder and more intense.

If you are willing to take the time, could you do two things for me?
1) Write a review on Amazon describing what you thought.
2) Send me a PM with any parts of the book that stuck out in your mind as choppy. I can still make changes and if you find something that can be fixed - I'll fix it!

Thank you for reading - I feel honored by the time you've given my creation, both reading it in the first place and then giving me your thoughts. You made my day.
Old 05-04-2018 | 10:06 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Here is the journal I mentioned in the last post:
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-04-2018 | 01:04 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Thank you for reading - I feel honored by the time you've given my creation, both reading it in the first place and then giving me your thoughts. You made my day.
You are most welcome, and it pretty much makes my day to hear this from you.

I have posted a review on Amazon and will get back to you on my other comments when I have time to go back and pinpoint them in the book.

Here is the journal I mentioned in the last post: https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Su...dp/0295965479/
Thank you!
Old 05-29-2018 | 01:37 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

I've updated the book with an afterword that discusses the accuracy of the historical details in the story as well as a section explaining my motivation for writing.

If you already downloaded the Kindle version, you can get an updated version on the "Manage your Content and Devices" page at Amazon:
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-29-2018 | 03:00 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

I've updated the book with an afterword that discusses the accuracy of the historical details in the story as well as a section explaining my motivation for writing.

If you already downloaded the Kindle version, you can get an updated version on the "Manage your Content and Devices" page at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage
Very cool - I downloaded the update and read through it on my lunchtime. Great background, and plenty of new sources for me to explore!

I also checked out the photographs taken to support your story. There are some truly beautiful photographs there with stunning scenery. A talented photographer, for sure. We need to get back out to this part of the world (we have been to Victoria, but made it no farther than Butchart Gardens) for a visit further north one day! I'd love a stay at God's Pocket, but not being a diver looks like I might be a bit of an odd man out.
Old 05-29-2018 | 03:49 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

The last time we were at God's Pocket, the resort was full of sea kayakers and they looked like they were having a wonderful time. I know it's popular with divers, but that's not the only clientele they get. I hope you make it up that way some day.

Thanks for the compliment on the photography, I'll let my wife know!
Old 02-05-2019 | 02:11 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Hello everyone, since I got such good support from this group, and there were a number of people who seemed to enjoy my first novel, I wanted to let you know that I’ve just published my second novel, Ganymede, on Amazon in both ebook and paperback formats.

Amazon Amazon

This one is a bit different than End of the Wild. While I would categorize my first book as magical realism, Ganymede is solidly in the Sci-Fi / Cyber-punk genre.

If you have an interest in AI, genetic engineering, human cloning, or just want some good Sci-Fi action, I think you may really enjoy this story. I have received very positive feedback from my advance readers, many of whom have told me that they enjoyed this book even more than End of the Wild.

This novel was both harder and more complicated for me to write than End of the Wild. There are more characters, more locations, and many more technical details that I had to get right. I’ve always wanted to write the kind of science fiction novel that I would want to read myself, and so I’ve tried to write a novel that is both enjoyable and exciting to read, but also thought-provoking in ways that may change how you think about the world and our future in it.

I hope that I’ve accomplished that goal; but in the end, you are the true judge. My reward is your enjoyment and feedback – I can’t wait to hear what you think.

I have more exciting news to share. End of the Wild has been picked up by a major audiobook publisher and is in production now. There will be an audiobook version available on all the major platforms, including Audible, by the middle of this year.

Quick Reply: I wrote a book!