RS exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 06:35 PM
jorisg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS exhaust system

Hi guys,

I came across what was called an RS-exhaust system (end mufflers and catalyc converter). Does anybody know if there will be an improvement over the standard 993 exhaust system, like sound and peformance?

Thanks alot for your help!
Old 12-28-2003, 08:17 PM
kmatts
Racer

Joris, if you are referring to the factory porsche 993 RS exhaust, i believe it's actually more restrictive than the stock 993 exhaust in order to meet noise regulations for the more lively 3.8RS motor. I heard this from another source, so i cannot confirm it. hopefully some of the 993RS crowd will jump in here.
Cheers,
Kyle.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:50 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i've heard the same thing about the RS mufflers. i don't know about the cats? Kim, has a set that i think is for sale....

cheers,
boris
Old 12-29-2003, 05:01 AM
jorisg
Instructor

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info and I think you are right, did some searching on my own and found in 911 & Porsche world a piece from Robin (RSR exhausts) where he states that the Swiss and the RS exhausts are even more restricted than the standard exhausts.

Means that I will forget and go this spring for the RSR's!

By the way has anybody any experience with chips from Steve Wong? I had already planned to purchase one of his chips when I still had my 3.2, but then came of course the trade-in.

I already contacted Steve and found that he also has chips for the 993, but recently I read this horror story here on the board about excessive oil consumption being caused by not correct programmed tune-up chip?? Kinda makes me hesitant!

thanks guys
Old 12-29-2003, 09:08 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The RS exhaust is more heavily baffled than a normal 3.6 exhaust, however,I tried an RSR on mine modified from a 3.6 gillet. I actually had less power at the top end of the rev range, my tuner suggested this was because the 3.8 RS pipes were of a consistent diameter, where as the 3.6 pipes were actually slightly narrower on the curve of the pipe,,No more than 5mm or so...There may not be much to be gained by fitting a 3.8 box on a 3.6 car,,,but if you reverse there seems to be a negative influence on power.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:09 AM
DCLee
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys:

I don't know how a RS exhaust could possibly be more restrictive than stock. For one thing, the RS mufflers are shorter than stock and, according to Gert, have few internal baffles. The catalytic converter is, of course, a stock part.

Lee in D.C.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:34 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Joris,

i've heard that Steve Weiner's chips are the best. That seems to be the consensus on the board. In my car i have an autothority chip, only because i had it prior to learning about steve's chip. i've also had good experiences with cyntex chips in the past. so as far as which manufacturer is concerned, my thought is that each car has a "best". For the 964, the board favorite was cyntex, for the 993 the board favorite is Steve Weiner's chip.

On the other topic of oil consumption - i don't believe that a chip will cause more oil consumption. It may run your motor at an advanced timing, it may increase fuel consumption, but it should not cause more oil consumption. just my 2 cents. but ask Steve as he is very knowledgable on this point.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 12-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by DCLee
Guys:

I don't know how a RS exhaust could possibly be more restrictive than stock. For one thing, the RS mufflers are shorter than stock and, according to Gert, have few internal baffles. The catalytic converter is, of course, a stock part.

Lee in D.C.
Did I say that ?
Anyway, the RS muffler is more restrictive than the std or motorsound muffler.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:31 PM
jorisg
Instructor

Hi there Boris,

Thanks for the reply, the oil consumption, and engine wear was probable due to to rich mixture, I believe deluting the oil and there for causing excessive wear of the piston rings and valves?

Steve Wong's chips are highly recommended for the 911 3.2, are you sure that Wong and Weiner are the same?

Steve's internet site is: http://www.911chips.com

Thanks and cheers
Old 12-29-2003, 06:54 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Joris,

Different people. Steve's info is:

Steve Weiner
Rennsport Systems
Portland, Oregon
E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
Old 12-29-2003, 10:31 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Guys;

What is the advantage if any of the RS muffler? Why did Porsche build it if it does not function (perform) as well as the standard muffler?

Recient buyer of an RS system....

Don
Old 12-29-2003, 10:44 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don,

I think the answer is that the RS had a beefier sounding 3.8L motor, as a result they still had to pass noise regulation. One way of doing that is to redesign the muffler with more baffles... so that is my understanding.

cheers,
boris

Quick Reply: RS exhaust system