993 Forum 1995-1998

Rookie mistakes, as usual. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by hopeydaze
If you can hear a belt squeal when you start the car from cold (lasts a few seconds) does this indicate a potential problem with any of the belts?
This is exactly why I just tightened my belts. I put a deflection meter on them and they were all pretty loose, had stretched a bit after being recently installed. Besides being annoying I think it’ll premature wear the belts and I also have a sneaking suspicion that you can get some slip under hard 1st gear acceleration (when you need that fan spinning the most) but you won’t hear it due to engine roar.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Churchill
I get the outer pulley slightly snugged down, then rotate the engine/fan a couple of times by hand to settle the belt in. Then I go around the three bolts tightening each a half-turn or so at a time, while rotating the fan/belt by hand. There isn't a torque setting for the three nuts, you have to do it by feel -- you will feel when they're equally snug and the pulley is square, and you will see/feel when the pulley is cockeyed or when one of nuts is looser than the others. As for belt tension, set it so there's no squeal or slippage, but no tighter. When you're done, fire up the engine and watch the pulley for squareness. Then shut it off and check tension again.

Pic stolen from Pelican:

Thanks for the tips. I snugged the bolts to 10ft/lbs which seemed to be just about right. I did let the belt seat and snugged the bolts slowly and in order to keep it flat, so I think I’m OK. For belt tension I set it to 23kg on the kickit tool, 30kg for the ac belt - based on what I’d read were factory specs.

Do you need to worry about shimming the inner pulley face into the correct location to line up with the bottom, or is this not an issue?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:31 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI Original Poster.....I keep a spare set of OEM belts on the car always. I have a updated electronic DME solenoid that controls the fuel pump and keep the old one in my tool bag. If you ever breakdown again no one will have these belts in stock.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
FYI Original Poster.....I keep a spare set of OEM belts on the car always. I have a updated electronic DME solenoid that controls the fuel pump and keep the old one in my tool bag. If you ever breakdown again no one will have these belts in stock.
Solid advice, thanks! I do keep a spare DME in the glove box (with a Focus 9 solid-state unit plugged in), but now I'll be sure to keep belts in the car as well.

To simplify things a bit, I'm considering going with the RS pulley to combine the fan and alternator belts but understand there are some concerns with the alternator being under-charged with this setup. I don't track the car, but it's not a daily driver either. When it goes out, it's typically for a fun drive. Sitting at idle in traffic is always a possibility, but not typical.

Just to be sure, it appears the fan belt is the single belt used with the RS pulley. Is this correct?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:13 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
Solid advice, thanks! I do keep a spare DME in the glove box (with a Focus 9 solid-state unit plugged in), but now I'll be sure to keep belts in the car as well.

To simplify things a bit, I'm considering going with the RS pulley to combine the fan and alternator belts but understand there are some concerns with the alternator being under-charged with this setup. I don't track the car, but it's not a daily driver either. When it goes out, it's typically for a fun drive. Sitting at idle in traffic is always a possibility, but not typical.

Just to be sure, it appears the fan belt is the single belt used with the RS pulley. Is this correct?
Don’t forget to carry the pulley tool too. The other tools can be found more easily if needed.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:39 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Lots of good advise in this thread..
I add that you should consider the pulley update if your car doesn't already have it, see the attached Technic Service Bulletin. Many of our cars already have this update installed. If your pulley halves are thin stamped steel, they are the original pulleys, if they are cast metal with a gold chromate color they are the updated pulleys. Also the updated pulleys do not allow for the storage of the extra shims on the pulley shaft
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
pully update.pdf (21.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pp000830
Lots of good advise in this thread..
I add that you should consider the pulley update if your car doesn't already have it, see the attached Technic Service Bulletin. Many of our cars already have this update installed. If your pulley halves are thin stamped steel, they are the original pulleys, if they are cast metal with a gold chromate color they are the updated pulleys. Also the updated pulleys do not allow for the storage of the extra shims on the pulley shaft
You can still put the larger diameter shims on the inside of the inner pulley, correct?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

For one who required another to replace a torn fan belt (Rothsport), and I now carry extras, is the pulley tool included in the factory toolkit?
Thanks,
Fred
Old 02-28-2018, 12:51 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

You can still put the larger diameter shims on the inside of the inner pulley, correct?
I don't recall as I have not changed the belts in a while and I just reassemble the pulley components and shims in the exact same way as I took them off. I recall with the old pulley extra shims were placed on the shaft not between pulley halves so if needed they were readily on hand to adjust tension. With the update pulley the unused shims are stored in the frunk, I keep them in a zip-lock bag. I think I have changed the belts three time and in each case using a Gates belt tensioner gauge (inexpensive & identical to the Porsche example) to check belt tension and it turned out I ended up using the same shimming as was present before replacing the belts. I believe it is very important to use the tension gauge as I believe too much tension can cause the fan blades to strike the housing and also lead to premature alternator or fan bearing failure. I have always used the gauge and have never needed to replace the alternator on my 86' Carrera at 150K miles or my 993 at 100K miles for bearing failure, others have not been so lucky.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:12 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

Man... you guys got me so paranoid about my belts that I just ordered all 4 belts! Mine are 7 yrs old but only have 3,000 miles on them. They look brand new but I am not taking a chance!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fsa
For one who required another to replace a torn fan belt (Rothsport), and I now carry extras, is the pulley tool included in the factory toolkit?
Thanks,
Fred
If you look at this picture: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUTOOL993.html

Its the tool second from bottom, on the right. It has the star shaped head to fit into the bolt-socket when counter-turning the nut that holds the outer pulley on. You can check your kit and double check you have it.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pp000830
I don't recall as I have not changed the belts in a while and I just reassemble the pulley components and shims in the exact same way as I took them off. I recall with the old pulley extra shims were placed on the shaft not between pulley halves so if needed they were readily on hand to adjust tension. With the update pulley the unused shims are stored in the frunk, I keep them in a zip-lock bag. I think I have changed the belts three time and in each case using a Gates belt tensioner gauge (inexpensive & identical to the Porsche example) to check belt tension and it turned out I ended up using the same shimming as was present before replacing the belts. I believe it is very important to use the tension gauge as I believe too much tension can cause the fan blades to strike the housing and also lead to premature alternator or fan bearing failure. I have always used the gauge and have never needed to replace the alternator on my 86' Carrera at 150K miles or my 993 at 100K miles for bearing failure, others have not been so lucky.
Yes you are thinking of the smaller diameter shims for the outer pulley. I believe you can still place the large diameter shims on the very inside of the inner pulley. That's where I found them, and have them, and it seems like it helps the inner pulley line up properly.

What tension do you use on the Gates gauge for each belt?
Old 02-28-2018, 09:03 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2

Speedy- I did the RS single belt conversion several years ago on a previous 993. People say the alt doesn’t spin fast enough to charge but after a year later I had no issues at all. You may have issues if you sit in gridlock on a daily basis so I wouldn’t worry. You are correct; the larger pulley is used with this conversion with the fan belt. FWIW, guy I sold the car to didn’t have charging issues either. Here are some pics...

You’ll have to remove the alt and fan to extract the fan bearing.

This pic shows the RS conversion bit installed.

Voila!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Man... you guys got me so paranoid about my belts that I just ordered all 4 belts! Mine are 7 yrs old but only have 3,000 miles on them. They look brand new but I am not taking a chance!
Don't waste your money. They don't break from age. They break because they're installed incorrectly or they're too tight. If your belts are installed correctly, you can sleep easily at night.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:19 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Don't waste your money. They don't break from age. They break because they're installed incorrectly or they're too tight. If your belts are installed correctly, you can sleep easily at night.
Okay that's comforting ... my mechanic keeps telling me the same thing .... think he is getting sick and tired of me asking him.

Quick Reply: Rookie mistakes, as usual. Help?