Incorrect oil filters installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 09:43 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Incorrect oil filters installed

A 'reputable' shop in MD (unnamed, but initials are TPC) installed a set of 944 oil filters before the summer track season in my '95 C2. I ran several track sessions (DEs) and mainly weekend street use over the course of the summer and into the fall. I am not knowledgeable enough to know what the exact impact to the engine would be, except that it would be logical to assume that it had reduced flow rate/capacity.

Just looking at the two smaller filters would tend to confirm this suspicion. Would there be a reason to install these filters as opposed to the correct 993 filter?

Any help is much appreciated. Happy holidays!

Regards,
Sam
Old 12-23-2003, 10:19 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about the mishap but this is reason #17 for me to do my own oil change...
Old 12-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Re: Incorrect oil filters installed

Originally posted by Sam N
A 'reputable' shop in MD (unnamed, but initials are TPC) installed a set of 944 oil filters before the summer track season in my '95 C2.
Sam,

Nice, verrry nice.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:48 AM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exactly Luis! Ever heard of 'Grease Monkey'? Wonder why?? A team of CHIMPS work on your car until something is ruined. Its in the corp. mission statement!

Mark, its good to know that the sky high hourly rates charged by the shops doesn't go to reading lessons.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short term, if you haven't noticed anything adverse so far (largely in increased oil consumption), you're probably OK. Would recommend to go back to these bozos and ask for a free filter change ASAP.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ray.

Regards,
Sam
Old 12-23-2003, 01:19 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just to show that it is a "Zero Sum Game", I was responding to a post within the last week on the 964 Turbo board where the guy went to the dealer and they gave him a big and a small filter for his car (993 filters obviously). He could only find one spot to install a filter, and the large would not fit so he just used the small one. The C2 turbo family only has one filter, and it uses the 944.xxx part number filter.

Why is it so hard to get these things right at the dealers??

Trending Topics

Old 12-23-2003, 07:05 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Bob, as you know incompetence is an endemic problem. Like the time the local dealer here installed the wrong size fan belt in my 993TT. I am not sure what was worse - the pieces of belt everywhere in the engine compartment or the 2 years taken off of Jeff993TT's life from being scared out of his wits thinking he blew up my car as he was driving it when the belt came off.

Quick Reply: Incorrect oil filters installed