Calibrating Tire Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 06:04 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calibrating Tire Pressure Gauge

So...has anybody calibrated their tire pressure gauge? I have a nice Accugage with a hose and a valve to bleed off a little air if they are too high. I also had a small digital gauge and they were off from each other by 4 psi.

In a lot of cases you can use the gauge to go up or down from where you are at but they should be accuarate to start with. I know the digital is a cheeper gauge and should be suspect but I don't know where I could get the Accugage calibrated. Anybody ever done this or am I being wierd? Hah!!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:21 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Bruce,

You're being to weird ... Just kidding, buddy.

Actually, just borrow a third guage and compare all three. The two that match are accurate and throw out the third one.

Or you can spend a grand and have a calibration lab set one up for you.

Or, another thought, send your expensive analog gauge back to the manufacturer and tell them it sucks and calibrate it for free !!
Old 12-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember reading a tire gauge comparison article a few years back in one of the major car mags and they found the digital gauges to be the most precise overall (and cheaper to boot). They wound up saying the 'porsche' digital gauge (I think it was about $20) was the best buy. Of course, at the time I read the article, I'd already run out and bought an accugage myself.

Quick Reply: Calibrating Tire Pressure Gauge