Suspension Lowered - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 06:59 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Suspension Lowered - Pics

Guys,

A quick note to thank all of you for your help a few weeks ago for the advice on lowering my car. Particular thanks to Viken, Gert, Robert Collins and Dan Esq. in St Louis - the last two for the photos of your (beautiful) cars with lowered suspension.

My 1997 C2 was lowered using the Bilstein HD's and M030 springs, all from Gert. My shop lowered the car exactly 1" from stock (SUV look) height. This leave a gap of about 1" at all four wheels between the top of the tires and the fender lip.

Old ride heights (all heights at center line of wheel to fender lip) were:
Front = 26 3/4" Rear = 26 5/8"

New ride heights:
Front = 25 3/4" Rear = 25 5/8"

I think it is a dramatic improvement to the looks of the car. Unfortunately, the snow and salt prevent driving the car, so I cannot report on ride quality and handling.

Thanks again guys for all your help. And best wishes to you and your families for a nice Christmas.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2003, 07:00 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Pic # 2
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2003, 07:01 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Pic # 3
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2003, 07:24 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks great! I like the pic of your car in the snow..

Let us know the difference in ride.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:27 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks great Mike. I have bilstein HD's under the Christmas tree. Can't wait to get them installed.
Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

chuck
Old 12-20-2003, 09:01 PM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Now you've done it...you've forced me into another project to keep up with the "red porcha"...looks great!
Old 12-20-2003, 09:28 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Dang it....

That looks OUTSTANDING!!!!! Now - I have to do mine (THANKS ADDISON and GREG!!! ). Spent the day under the car, front right. Apprears the PO dorked the Oil Cooler and splitter pretty badly - so suspension will be next weekend..???!!! (OR I HOPE!!! )

Great pics!!!!
Old 12-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great, Mike. I especially like your other recent mods -- no center caps on the wheels and the white driver's seat .

If the snow ever melts and the salt goes away, let us know how it rides and handles.

And, oh, that Beech...
Old 12-21-2003, 02:40 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
Congrats on the new ride height!! It looks great. The great thing about picking your ride height is the only opinion that really matters in the end is yours!! As long as you are happy, you're set!!

I applaud you for doing your research here first. It is always smart to bounce ideas off those who with experience so you can formualte your own opinion. Now get out and enjoy it!!!

Cool snow pic BTW. The arena red looks EXTREMELY good in the snow. What a contrast!!!

Merry Christmas!!

Robert
Old 12-21-2003, 10:48 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Martin: You're SY beauty doesn't need much help, believe me. The black cab top and SY is really a great combo.

Todd: Very funny - only you would notice. But you did miss the missing plastic pieces under the driver's and passenger's door and the exposed oil and A/C lines. A new weight savings procedure - works till a rock punches a hole in the oil lines.

Robert: Thanks for the kind words and your pics a few weeks ago. Merry Chrustmas to you and your family.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Moto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Looks awesome. That Arena Red makes the car look like a jewel.

Geez - a sweet 993 AND an A36 Bonanza - I don't think it gets any better!

Old 12-21-2003, 01:04 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Mike - Car looks great - I recently did the same to my 993. You did not mention if a new alignment and corner balance went with it. I highly recomend you have this done - it may change the individual wheel heights but will give you a better balanced ride. Cost is not too bad - about $200 including wheel balance all around for me here in NM. As I said I've had this set up for several months and am now thinking about "going lower" to RS height. To do that I'll need the RS rear sway bar - and Gert is ready to play Santa!! Good luck and enjoy your great car.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:13 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Moto: Thanks for the compliments. The A36 is a great airplane and probably the best all-round single engine airplane in the world. It does everything well - fast, great range and carries a good load. Walter Beech was a genius - the original Bonanza started production in 1947 and is still being built today.

Ralph: Yes, the alignment was re-done, but no corner balance. I have heard this term before, but really don't understand it. I'm not much of a suspension guy. I believe the RS ride height is another full 1" lower than my car? Man, you must have billiard tables for roads out there.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:50 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mike cap
... but no corner balance. I have heard this term before, but really don't understand it.
Mike
Looks great. I'm at about the same ride height & my FPB from Gert has some battle scars. If you don't have a FPB, it's a good investment.

A corner balance is also recommended. I'm surprised whoever did your alignment didn't suggest it:

Corner Balance Explained

Here's another article re: older torsion bar 911, but same principle.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:06 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,

You got me -- I must pay more attention. Anyway, you may want to go to a wind tunnel to see whether the weight savings from leaving the sill covers off is worth the penalty in aerodynamic drag .

Quick Reply: Suspension Lowered - Pics