Sponsored by:

Help spring/shock advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 10:18 PM
Marx911TT
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help spring/shock advice needed

I have a 1997 993TT with 7000 miles and want to install the M030 euro springs and would like your opinions on replacing the standard shocks with new bilstein HD shocks at the same time.These are the ones Gert is selling.What do you think.?Thanks Mark
Old 04-21-2002, 10:28 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mark,

Soon, I will be replacing my M030 shocks with these Bilstein shocks. From my past experience with Bilstein, they have always been superior to pretty much any other OEM shock absorber and have lasted tens of thousands of miles longer. My present shocks started showing signs of wear at about 15k and are now quite uncomfortable to drive on at 30k. I am betting on the fact that the Bilstein's have superior, and more suitable, valving numbers in addition to their expected longer life.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:37 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
While I agree that, of the reasonably priced commercially available dampers, Bilstein might still be the best, it could be interesting to note that, contrary to a decade ago when Bilstein virtually ruled the professional and semi- professional sportcar racing world, at this point in time they are but a minor player.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:56 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

[quote]Originally posted by Robert Linton:
<strong>While I agree that, of the reasonably priced commercially available dampers, Bilstein might still be the best, it could be interesting to note that, contrary to a decade ago when Bilstein virtually ruled the professional and semi- professional sportcar racing world, at this point in time they are but a minor player.</strong><hr></blockquote>

True. And for two or three or four or five times as much money, you can get something better...
Old 04-23-2002, 01:24 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 21 Posts
Viken,
What do the bilstein HD's run about, and would they work well with a lowered spring like Eibach's or H and R? I've got the M030 on my '95 with 45K miles. The shocks are still doing ok, but I don't expect to get a whole lot longer out of them. I'm not really ready to step up to the pss-9 level, but I would like to get my car a little lower than stock (to get less body roll before the car takes its set on track events), .
Are you keeping your standard M030 springs? Or, have you switched those out. I remember it being popular a while back to switch out the stock springs if you already had M030; atleast until everyone got rich, and discovered pss-9!
Basically, I'd like the lowered springs now, with the ability to replace my shocks with something less expensive like the bilstein HD when replacement is needed. But at the same time, I wonder if I'd be about the same in the long run to wait and go with something like the pss-9 setup when my shocks really go?

Thanks!!
David
Old 04-23-2002, 11:51 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

The cost of the Bilstein shocks varies depending on where you get them from. I am told that they may be ± $1k less than the PSS-9 system. These shocks should work great with the factory springs or some other aftermarket lowering springs. I am keeping my ROW M030 springs and replacing the worn factory Monroe shocks.

If you want to replace your springs now, you should also replace your shocks. Otherwise, you will have to spend the money for labor and alignment one more time in the near future.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:28 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Viken... Do you know if the Bilstein HD's have any fit issues (ie, perch/monoball) like the pss9's???

Jeff
Old 04-23-2002, 01:33 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff 993TT:
<strong>Viken... Do you know if the Bilstein HD's have any fit issues (ie, perch/monoball) like the pss9's???</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, just like the PSS-9's, they do not have any fit issues. These shocks are meant for OEM replacement and will work with factory perches and top hats.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:13 PM
esb97targa
Instructor

I too am in the market for a set of Bilstein HD's. I will be curious to here where most people have been buying them, and for how much. I am told they will work well with the Eibach springs presently on my car.
TIA,
Evan
Old 04-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't speak for others, but I'll probably get them from from <a href="http://www.carnewal.com." target="_blank">www.carnewal.com.</a>

Here's a direct link: <a href="http://64.35.111.106/cpx_p93092.htm" target="_blank">P93 Turbo Euro M030 Package w/ Bilstein HD Shocks</a>

Jeff
Old 04-23-2002, 11:35 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

Mark,

If you have to change out both the springs and shocks, you might as well consider going with
PSS-9 for the small difference $$$$. You will benefit from the dual spring setup, matching springs and shock in one unit and the 9 ways adjustable flexability. It is just my $.02

------------------
95 Adventurine 993

Quick Reply: Help spring/shock advice needed