Sponsored by:

Re-oil BMC air filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 02:10 PM
last993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Re-oil BMC air filter ?

Is there any trick to that ? I would think that too much (can mess up the air mass flow meter ?) or too little (allows more dust to come in) is no good. What's the happy medium and how do i tell ? Thanks !!
Old 04-21-2002, 05:37 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

With all honesty in mind, pack it up and put the stock filter back in. There are no measured improvements other than the psychological feel.

Barring that, look for complete coverage of the pores. Let it sit on a piece of newspaper for a day or two to drain any excess out before installing it.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:12 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by last993:
<strong>Is there any trick to that ? I would think that too much (can mess up the air mass flow meter ?) or too little (allows more dust to come in) is no good. What's the happy medium and how do i tell ? Thanks !! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi:

After you have cleaned the filter and its thoroughly dry, spray a nice even coat of oil so that you see a uniform color all over the cotton gauze. Let it dry face down on some newspapers, just as Mark suggested for 12 hours or so. As long as the oil is allowed to dry properly, you will not contaminate the MAFS.

I also always apply a layer of grease to the rubber perimeter seal to ensure that no air can leak around the element. Been doing that with K&N's for 30+ years,... Never a problem.

Enjoy,
Old 04-22-2002, 12:51 AM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
[quote]I also always apply a layer of grease to the rubber perimeter seal to ensure that no air can leak around the element.<hr></blockquote>

With all due respect to Steve, I would just ditch the K&N. K&N isn't even selling these for 993s anymore because the seal could crumble and get sucked into the engine.

When I got my 993 from the PO, it had a K&N. I looked at the seal and it was in tatters in places from the airbox edges.

Oops, just realized you said a BMC filter, not K&N. I hope the seals on those are more reliable than the K&N I used to have.

Brett
Old 04-22-2002, 03:46 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Brett-1996 C4:
<strong>

With all due respect to Steve, I would just ditch the K&N. K&N isn't even selling these for 993s anymore because the seal could crumble and get sucked into the engine.

When I got my 993 from the PO, it had a K&N. I looked at the seal and it was in tatters in places from the airbox edges.

Oops, just realized you said a BMC filter, not K&N. I hope the seals on those are more reliable than the K&N I used to have.

Brett</strong><hr></blockquote>

Brett:

You are right on, the K&N 993 Filter is to be avoided. These have had problems and they do not fit the airbox very well at all.

I would use either the BMC one or the Factory paper element.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:05 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts
The BMC does not fit terribly well either and, every one I have seen is dripping with oil. As an alternative, might I suggest the Knecht that the factory has used in certain applications and that is similar in flow characteristics to the K&N or the BMC -- and its fits and is not oily. Of course, as noted above, in the real world, the improvement produced by any of these high line filters is primarily in the mind and not on the dyno (of course, if I compare a new K&N to another filter with hundreds of thousands of miles of dirt therein, the results will be noticeable, but that is hardly apples to apples).
Old 04-22-2002, 12:31 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was under the impression that K&N revised there filter for the 993 and it seal is now like the BNC. There new one is no good or there old one is no good?
Old 04-23-2002, 01:03 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
I had a BMC filter for a year and a half, the the seal separated. Fabspeed replaced it with a new one. I haven't tried it this, but it was recomended that I trim the edges of the new one to avoid this, and that it was caused by the too- tight fitting airbox. Has anyone tried this?

David
Old 04-23-2002, 02:40 AM
Pinoysche C4S
Intermediate

K & N Revised with new rubber seal, I installed
a new one last week.

Carlos
<a href="http://www.p-car.com/porsche/carlos" target="_blank">www.p-car.com/porsche/carlos</a>

Quick Reply: Re-oil BMC air filter ?