Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 07:44 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Unhappy Death at Grand Am race

Gang,
Sad news to report. I was looking up the qualifying results from the Grand Am race at Homestead and saw this article:
Sobering reminder that this is a dangerous sport. God Bless and Rest in Peace.

"Race Track Fatality

MIAMI, Fla. (March 01, 2002) -- The Rolex Sports Car Series held practice sessions at Homestead-Miami Speedway today for Saturday's Nextel 250. A fatality occurred during the second practice session, and track officials issued the following statement:

"Grand American Road Racing driver Jeff Clinton, age 38 from St. Louis, Mo., suffered fatal injuries in a single-car accident during Friday's practice at Homestead-Miami Speedway. The SportsRacing Prototype II car lost control entering turn one of the road course resulting in the fatal accident. There will be a further investigation by the Grand American Road Racing Association and Miami-Dade County officials."

Clinton was a driver in the #21 Budweiser/GreyEagle.com Nissan-powered Lola of Archangel Motorsport Services. The team officially withdrew its second entry, the #22 711.tv Nissan Lola, from the race.

Qualifying for the Nextel 250 was canceled, and the field will be gridded by points, in accordance with the Grand American Rulebook. "

<a href="http://www.grand-am.com/news2.cfm?id=43" target="_blank">http://www.grand-am.com/news2.cfm?id=43</a>

Here is another article that gives a few more details to how the accident happened.
<a href="http://www.speedtv.com/auto/?lvl=3a&cat=23&id=408" target="_blank">http://www.speedtv.com/auto/?lvl=3a&cat=23&id=408</a>
Old 03-01-2002, 08:23 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff's death was not only a loss to the racing world, but a personal loss as well. His dad, Jerry, is a friend and client. Jeff was the father of 2 young kids, a successful businessman and a talented driver who raced just for the love of it. He headed the local Anheuser-Busch distributorship owned by his dad.

For those of us who track or race, yet another reminder of just how quickly our fun pastime can turn into disaster.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:52 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greg,

Thank you for sharing this pertinent and heartbreaking story with us.

After reading Danny Sullivan's comments about his fear of losing control on banked ovals (in the Skip Barber book), and watching Dale Earnhardt's tragic crash last year, I am developing a healthy respect (and fear) of high-speed banked ovals such as turn 1 at Homestead. I'd much rather lose control in the grassy knolls of Putnam Park.

Old 03-01-2002, 10:03 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anir,

I believe that the turn 1 they are talking about is the first turn of the road course off the front straight. To be honest, I have raced there in the past and can't tell what he hit from the report on speedvision.com. I surmise that he slid through the gravel and the grass and ended up hitting the oval wall. Although John Nemechek the Craftsman Truck driver died at NASCAR turn 1 there a few years ago. He was the first person to die the year they lost 3 drivers.

Whatever happened, it is very tragic. I am especially sorry for his family and those who knew him personally (Dan).

A bad start to the season.

E. J.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

[quote]Originally posted by Anir:
<strong>..I am developing a healthy respect (and fear) of high-speed banked ovals such as turn 1 at Homestead. I'd much rather lose control in the grassy knolls of Putnam Park.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I figured that the turn one would be the first turn coming off the oval, probably a very high speed turn. These tracks are often called 'rovals' as they use both the oval and road course sections.
I share that respect and fear, the most afraid I have been on a track was at Lowe's Speedway. 31 degree banking at 140mph is serious business.
Sad loss indeed, not a good way for the season to start.
Greg
Old 03-01-2002, 10:20 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read another report that said the car flipped over and over repeatedly. I interpret this as brake failure or similar problem on the front straight before turn in off the oval and he got sideways and slid into the outside wall.

I can say for sure that turn 1 there does not require much braking to get off the oval, but the next turn does. Much faster with less braking than turn 1 at LMS.

E. J.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by E. J.:
<strong>I just read another report that said the car flipped over and over repeatedly. E. J.</strong><hr></blockquote>

EJ,

I'm realizing more and more that I need to get a dedicated track car with a full roll cage (but the DAS bar will have to suffice for about a year). You simply cannot be too careful. Such a sad story.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:07 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Very sad. We must all count our blessings and remember we all have feet of clay...
Old 03-02-2002, 07:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

<a href="http://www.grand-am.com/news2.cfm?id=47" target="_blank">http://www.grand-am.com/news2.cfm?id=47</a>

Quick Reply: Death at Grand Am race