Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Miles - What is it Really Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Moto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Miles - What is it Really Worth?

Hey everyone. Still on the hunt for my "perfect" 993.

Question - I found a 1995 993 C2 with 16,000 miles on it. Apparently pristine, motorsound, always garaged, orignal owner.

The guy wants $43,900. I think that is very high despite the super low mileage.

As a comparison - I am looking at 96 C4S's for that price - with 40k on the clock..

Thus the big question - what is super low miles really worth? What would a car like that be worth on the market? $35k? $37k?

I understand that there are probably collectors that would pay a premium for a car with super low mileage like that. On the other hand - there are numerous '95 C2's on the market with mileage in the 30's - which is still low mileage - and yet are not astronomically priced.

The car is close - so I was thinking of viewing it. Was looking for some pricing advice from the pros. Thanks Rennlisters......
Old 12-17-2003, 12:10 AM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Personally, I do not think low miles on a '95 are worth very much. Put another way, the only value is in low wear and tear. Only you can decide what that is worth to you. A collector is going to be far more interested in low mile '98 C2S. In the case of C4S', I would include MY '97 along with MY '98.

'95 C2's value is solely as a driving machine IMHO.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Moto
Intermediate

My thoughts as well. It would certainly have more impact if it was a low volume model like an "S".
Old 12-17-2003, 12:56 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Moto
My thoughts as well. It would certainly have more impact if it was a low volume model like an "S".
RS250?!!! You da man!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Moto
Intermediate

Nota...I LOVE that bike. Street legal 2 stroke 65hp (with mods) and 300 lbs.

Its a converted Aprilia Cup bike.

The handling performance is insane - like a razor blade hardwired into your brain and has that bbbbrrrraaaaaaapp sound that only 2 strokes can produce..
Old 12-17-2003, 01:21 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If a '97 C4S is worth something to a collector, then shouldn't a '97 C2S be as well? They were both sold in '98.

I think a pristine, very low-mileage '95, such as the 16K mile car, is worth a significant premium over a 30K or 40K mile car. The appeal of a low-mileage car is not just to collectors. There are few '95s around with mileage that low, and if it has been well cared for, it will be more like a "new" '95 than a 40K mile car will -- paint chips, seats and carpets, shocks, bushings, etc. This may not matter to someone who is going to drive the car daily, as the value of the low mileage will disappear. OTOH, if someone were to add 50K miles over the course of ownership, he'd have 66K on that 16K mile car, but 90K if he starts with a 40K mile car -- that's a real difference. There will be a real difference in resale value then as well.

Only you can decide whether it's worth a significant premium to you, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's worth it to someone. Obviously, the seller may need to be patient. BTW, I bought my '95 at 34K miles, and it now has 53K.

IMO, no 993 is going to be a big hit with collectors -- they're not nearly old enough yet, and they aren't rare enough (GT2, Turbo S and RS potentially excepted).

Lastly, not all of us prefer the "S" cars. It continues to surprise me that many (or most) people on this enthusiast board, who spend significant sums for fractional performance gains, lust after the heavier, less aerodynamic and (C2S) less well-balanced wide-body cars.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:27 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Moto
...Street legal 2 stroke 65hp (with mods) and 300 lbs....Its a converted Aprilia Cup bike....
Street legal, eh...
Old 12-17-2003, 01:30 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Moto: I think you answered your own question. Bruce Anderson uses a number of 10% additional for lower miles. Bear in mind that super low mile cars may actually have issues from sitting too much.

Speedraser-with all due respect, people's preferences for or against widebody cars are generally based on personal aesthetics. The S bodied cars additional 22 pounds and slightly lower top speed are negligible in terms of performance. I've owned and driven both on the street and track--again, marginal difference in the balance, more than made up for by tire pressures. Great that you like the narrow body! Just go easy on the chaff.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:01 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug - I wouldn't pay a huge premium for a low mileage 993 unless it was a TT-S or maybe just a TT...so for me 5-10% is probably the right ballpark for a "normal" porsche. You don't mention color but I think the seller will need to have a lot of patience to sell this for more than $35-36K

(nb: I personally like the WB vs the NB style but unfortunately the WB doesn't come in a cab )
Old 12-17-2003, 02:04 AM
Eddy
Advanced

Moto,
I am exactly where you are on the hunt for a very nice 993 Cab. It will be a part time driver 7-10K miles per. year, until my Lexus's wheels fall off then put into full time duty. I agree rennlist is great and was concerned about a low milage car also. But after discussing with a couple of mechanics they said less miles = less problems. I also agree with speedracer, in 5 years the car could have 50K vs. 90K miles, better for resale. The hunt continues.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:27 AM
Stu
Instructor

There's no question that the lower the miles, the more the car is worth and very low miles equals a significant premium. In my business I am always willing to pay "top-dollar" for a low mileage car, because I know I can ask premium dollars for it, and get it!

I was willing to pay well over "book" for my 98 with only 10k miles, simply because I'm the type that want's the best I can buy, and since I can't buy a brand new 993, then one with as little miles as possible is worth paying up for. Yes, the low mile, high dollar seller will need to be patient, but there will always be a buyer like me.

The answer to your question Moto, is what are YOU willing to pay for a low mile car? Throw the books and guides away, because with a perfect, low mileage example, it worth whatever you're willing to pay.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:46 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris,

No chaff intended -- just presenting a point of view. I've seen different figures regarding the additional weight of the "S" cars, so I can't say what the figure truly is. Nevertheless, the numerous contemporary road tests do show a performance advantage to the standard-body (I think "narrow" is inaccurate) cars, though I'd never claim it's a large advantage. With all due respect, I think it would take more than tire pressures to get a stock C2S to be as well balanced as a C2, based both on every magazine article I've read about them AND my own experience (I'm by no means suggesting that the S doesn't handle well). However, the various aftermarket adjustable suspensions would probably do it.

Regarding aesthetics, it's a very personal thing. I lean slightly toward the looks of the standard Carrera. I think the widebody looks a bit heavy in the rear, though I think the Turbo looks great -- the tail makes the widebody work for me. I also don't think you can go wrong with any 993.

Moto,

Sorry to go off the topic of mileage. Happy hunting -- these are wonderful cars.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:51 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I was to drive the car less than 10,000 mile a year, and keep car for a long time, I would personally buy the low mileage car. To me it is worth the premium of 10%, or even more if is exactly what you want for color combination. The right color combination, and if car is exactly what you wanted, but could not find - to me is worth the premium. The only thing I would be concerned about is how the car was stored in last 8 years. Did the owner let it sit for many months without proper storage, how often was it driven, was the maintenance (like oil changes) done on a yearly or so basis. I would want the maintenance to be very aggressive and based on time, not mileage, is my point.

IMO, I view late model 95, think produced after Jan 95, the model that has the immobilzer to be valued a little more than the ones produced in '94.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Patentman
Instructor

Originally posted by Stu
There's no question that the lower the miles, the more the car is worth and very low miles equals a significant premium. ...

I was willing to pay well over "book" for my 98 with only 10k miles, simply because I'm the type that want's the best I can buy, and since I can't buy a brand new 993, then one with as little miles as possible is worth paying up for. Yes, the low mile, high dollar seller will need to be patient, but there will always be a buyer like me.
I am with Stu on this one and that is how I precisely how I felt. I was also very particular in my hunt and looked for about 2 months. I wanted a 98 993 cab in either silver or arena red with black interior under 20K miles in excellent condition.

I bought one last week for $51K. A 1998 Artic Silver cab, black interior (aluminim ****er and hand brake and Carrera SS door sills), black top, with only 14K miles, Turbo twist 18" technology wheels (not the hollow spokes) with brand new SO3's, motorsound package and the original factory wheels came with the car as well. The car is in mint condition (for my own use, I am not in the car business). I only put about 5K miles a year on my porsche (I had a 97 cab previously). To me, the low miles and great condition was like buying a new 993 since 14K miles is hardly breaking it in. I figure by 2008, it will only have 40K miles on it and be ten years old.

There was an arena red 98 cab on ebay for $43.9K with 30K miles that I was very seriously considering, and basically the red one had almost the same exact options as the one I bought (same wheels, morotosound, aluminum, etc). To me, the arctic silver color (though the arena red looks sharp, it would be more difficult to keep clean) and the 15K less miles were well worth the extra $7K I had to pay (the seller of my car was originally asking $54K BTW).

The only options it did not have that I wanted I can add myself - a CD/MP3 changer and a windstop.

The best part was that after searching the internet nationwide for two months (many emails exchanged with lots of sellers), the car I bought was located less than 10 miles from my house. I bought it on consignment being sold through Dave Maynard at European locators - a good guy and very easy to deal with and he has a really nice selection of low mile Porsches - Hi Dave and thanks so much if your reading.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Patentman
Instructor

Originally posted by Patentman
my options included...aluminim ****er ...
Oh man...I think I meant shifter (I'm a fast, but less accurate typist), I guess I should turn on the spelling checker..

I'll bet know one knew this was a factory option they could add when they bought their cars new...

How will I ever live this one down...I can see it at an event - hey, let me check out that aluminum ****er in your car...I need to get me one of those...

Quick Reply: Low Miles - What is it Really Worth?