Sponsored by:

TT as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 07:39 PM
Griffin Brown
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TT as a daily driver?

With 993TT prices falling into the reasonable range (i.e., I can decide which kid to get rid of to afford the car, rather than dump both), I have been considering an upgrade from my 97 993. I would use the car as a daily driver. How practical is a TT as a daily driver? Are maintenance costs significantly higher? I really don't want to have it as a third car (can't picture driving a beater) and can't afford to keep the N/A 993 and get a TT. Anyone out there use their TT as a daily driver?
Old 10-25-2002, 07:52 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Griffin,

You will find that quite a few of us drive the cars daily. I've driven a 911 daily since '85 and have put over 150k of extremely trouble free miles on them. None were babied. Not abused, just driven hard. The only exception with my tt is that I now have a Costco Car that I'll use in the rain and short jumps around town/gym, etc. where wear and tear occur the most. I’m doing this because I like this car so darn much that I like to keep it detailed and may wish to make it a keeper.

My guess is that maintenance costs will be around 150/mo. including tires. That does not account for possible clutch/turbo work down the road. You can probably budget another 100/mo for long-term work. YMMV.

Great tharapy too!

Bill
Old 10-25-2002, 08:09 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

I'd add that the maintaince is not significatnly more than an NA porsche.

Just keep in mind that maintainence for any 993 is significatnly more than "normal" cars. IE, 15K service is about $700 for a 993, it was $150 for my honda!

I figure that I spend about $3K/year for maintaince/tires/etc. I don't drive my TT daily, however, I would not have any hesitiation about doing so. With the caveat that if your commute is extremely short, I wouldn't do it becuase the engine would not have sufficent time to warm up completely.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2002, 09:07 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

My wife uses our TT as her almost daily driver. These cars like to be driven and a Turbo is better off seeing regular use than the occassional spirited drive. Jeff and Bill identified the key issues. The only added maintenenace issue is if the turbos go bad and need to be replaced. As discovered by Jeff and others, if the turbos go bad in the first 10 years (or is it 7) then under CA emissios law the manufacturer has to pay to replace them.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:23 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Griffin,

I've used my 993TT as a daily driver for two years now - winter included. It's one of two cars in our family.

It's been very reliable, and also reasonable to service to date - particularly since I enjoy some DIY. If you don't mind a smallish car for everyday transport, I think it's a great option, particularly with prices where they are now. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:33 PM
vinrey
Addict
Rennlist Member

Griffin,

I use my 993tt as a daily driver. Just since April alone I put on 20k miles with the only expense being the 15k service, a set of rear tires and lots of gas money. It is not much more than my na 993 as far as daily maintenance goes except for the gas since I use 94 octane for the tt and use 93 for the na993. I love these cars so much that I have two 993tt's. The other one's for sale cause I can't afford to keep both of course. e mail me if you're interested. I also consider driving the tt daily as cheap therapy...makes me feel good after a long day and makes me look forward to a hard day because I get to drive it to start the day. Good luck in your search.

Vince
Old 10-26-2002, 05:42 PM
David K.
Pro

Daily Driver

Track Car

Old 10-26-2002, 11:11 PM
neunelf
Racer

David,
Why does it look like you are giving the peace sign while driving your track car?
Old 10-26-2002, 11:35 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote] David,
Why does it look like you are giving the peace sign while driving your track car? <hr></blockquote>

Peace sign? He's obviously giving a friendly English wave to the guy behind him...
Old 10-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Griffin Brown
Advanced

Thanks all. Now I just need to convince my wife that I need to upgrade from my N/A 993

Quick Reply: TT as a daily driver?