Best HID upgrade

Old 12-10-2017, 04:22 PM
tuto993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flyingchappy View Post

^^^this. Hector, I sent you a PM
got it, thank you!
So i installed everything, and have to say it looks great. Difference is "day and night"

i will address the high beam issue later this week when i get the splitter.

however, i also have ine more issue: the park/marker led lights do not work, unless i do not know how to operate them. I thought they come on with the main low beams...
Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Endoman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'm sold, currently using Tore B's on dip and leds on main. Morimotos ordered.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:45 AM
CeeTwoS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am in. Finally going to do the lights. Which one (a) 4300 Kelvin or (b) 6000 Kelvin? I spend a lot of time on the freeway in SoCal and don't want every driver in front of me getting mad about the lights. Opinions and suggestions welcomed?
Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 AM
tuto993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CeeTwoS View Post
I am in. Finally going to do the lights. Which one (a) 4300 Kelvin or (b) 6000 Kelvin? I spend a lot of time on the freeway in SoCal and don't want every driver in front of me getting mad about the lights. Opinions and suggestions welcomed?
6000 K is not necessarily brighter, just a deeper blue, as I understood. 4300 is closer to OEM color. I noticed after 20-30 seconds of turning on, the xenon 4300 K light loses its initial blue hue, and becomes a bright, clear light with the faintest blue tinge in it. I suspect the 6000 K stays blue...

Don't know if this helps. Maybe some one with the 6000 K can chime in.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 PM
flyingchappy
User

Originally Posted by tuto993 View Post
6000 K is not necessarily brighter, just a deeper blue, as I understood. 4300 is closer to OEM color. I noticed after 20-30 seconds of turning on, the xenon 4300 K light loses its initial blue hue, and becomes a bright, clear light with the faintest blue tinge in it. I suspect the 6000 K stays blue...

Don't know if this helps. Maybe some one with the 6000 K can chime in.
I tried both. Ran 4.3K forever. I eventually switched to 6K to strictly match my Turbo S scoops with LEDs. The 4.3K cuts bettter through moist air. Both are super with morimoto.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:21 AM
gmorat
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just received my Morimoto projectors! looking forward to installing them over the break!

G
Old 12-15-2017, 01:46 PM
tuto993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmorat View Post
Just received my Morimoto projectors! looking forward to installing them over the break!

G
Don't forget your pics!!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:59 AM
gmorat
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not 2 minutes into this and there is already a problem. The 30mm bolts that go through the new projector and supposedly into their 'custom' bracket are too big to do so without drilling into the bracket to make the mounting holes bigger. I emailed support to make sure that's what I'm supposed to do but it's frustrating as they don't open till 10am and it's 7am here. I wanted to get this done and dusted while my better half was in the land of Nod. I can't see any other way around drilling. The holes just aren't big enough but it's maddening as it's their projector, hardware and bracket, you'd think they'd know what size to make the holes for it all to fit. If you look at the first picture of the kit all laid out in this install of 6SpeedOnline forums, you can see the mounting holes are considerably bigger.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...what-took.html

Maybe I'll just drill and move forward....hrrrrmmmmm.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:08 PM
HalfGerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like they drilled pilot holes and forgot to enlarge them?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:43 PM
gmorat
Addict
Rennlist Member

Drill and file.

Bolts and spacers on new projector.

Mounting frame installed.

Into light.

Can't put this in backwards.

Make sure to get this correct.

Spring clip added.

Disconnect from high beam.

PITA to connect these two. Tiny space, no room to move. I ended up cutting back the rubber that keeps the red and black wires together to give a fraction more flexibility.

Also and ***-pain. Widening brown connector to fit around blade on other end of harness.

All done. Now tuck it in and test it on the car.

Ta-da!

As I had Tore's kit in the light housing, none of this stuff is needed thankfully. It means you're not drilling through the back of the case and attaching ballasts to the inside of the frunk.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM
tmc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HalfGerman View Post
Looks like they drilled pilot holes and forgot to enlarge them?
Yes, my kit had one of the plates drilled correctly and the other like gmorat's. I just got a drill and a piece of scrap wood.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:59 PM
gmorat
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had a slight issue and had to take apart the passenger side light again. One of the wires wasn't connecting as it should have and I wasn't getting the solenoid on the passenger side engaging. All working now. I went for a spin (almost literally as I powered out a corner on cold racey tires in 29 degrees) and the difference is unbelievable! Possibly the best $160 I've spent. Tores kit and this is an unbeatable duo.

G
Old 12-28-2017, 08:31 PM
Endoman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gmorat View Post
Had a slight issue and had to take apart the passenger side light again. One of the wires wasn't connecting as it should have and I wasn't getting the solenoid on the passenger side engaging. All working now. I went for a spin (almost literally as I powered out a corner on cold racey tires in 29 degrees) and the difference is unbelievable! Possibly the best $160 I've spent. Tores kit and this is an unbeatable duo.

G
Can't wait to get mine in (delayed in transit) A very useful and informative write up. I'm using Tore's Hids with Led main.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:32 PM
tuto993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awesome work, the pictures are great. I guess I was lucky, my brackets came with the correct size holes. You made nothing of it and solve the issue right away. Another testament to the high yield nature of this simple, affordable upgrade.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:48 PM
rg0115
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting post. Subscribed and just added to my wishlist.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best HID upgrade

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: