Sponsored by:

Surprised by my 95's OBD

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:51 AM
whitelightnin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Surprised by my 95's OBD

I've had my 95 993 now for a couple of months and have read here that 95s are all OBD1 unless it is a late build. My car was built in Sep of 94 so it was a very early build. Had occasion to inspect the OBD connection and was surprised to find that it has the OBD2 connector. The OBD1 has a round connector but this is definitely the standard OBD2 type (kind of rectangular). Can anyone think of any reason why this car has OBD2?
Old 11-21-2017, 11:53 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 113 Posts

The 95's I've seen, including mine, have the OBD II style connector but only have the pins connected for OBD I. Hope this helps.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:59 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Ditto what SpeedyC2 said. Only readable with special OBD1 reader, not the standard OBD2
Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

The 19-pin diag connector was used in the '94 and early 1995/1 993 models. The 1995/2 version 993's did come with the now common 16-pin rectangular OBDII-style connector. All the electrical connections are the same, but of course on different pins. (except for the added K line in the 993) Porsche introduced more and more functions in the OBD-connected units over the years, especially in the 993. (ABS/PDAS, airbag, CCU, Alarm and Motronic)
There is not much differences in the OBD I and OBD II protocols, at least in the Porsche 993. Most of the stuff used in OBD1 was enhanced or used in the OBD 2 standard. This concerns the environmental parameters in the Motronic engine control unit only. Americans more familiar with the early environmental functions can probably explain any differences better than me. The Wikipedia page is a good start.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 PM
whitelightnin
Instructor

I bought an OBD reader from Gert along with the adapter he says is necessary to plug into the OBD receptical on the 95 993s. His reader has the rectangular plug for the OBD2 and the adaptor goes from that plug to a round plug that then supposedly is necessary for the OBD1 cars. I have a passenger airbag warning on and I bought his reader in order to eliminate the warning. This is the reason that I took the cover plate off and then found the rectangular plug. If you go to his website, https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php/, under products and then "OBD Diagnostics" you will see what I am talking about.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:23 PM
whitelightnin
Instructor

I have emailed Gert for an explanation an will report his answer.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by whitelightnin
I've had my 95 993 now for a couple of months and have read here that 95s are all OBD1 unless it is a late build. My car was built in Sep of 94 so it was a very early build. Had occasion to inspect the OBD connection and was surprised to find that it has the OBD2 connector. The OBD1 has a round connector but this is definitely the standard OBD2 type (kind of rectangular). Can anyone think of any reason why this car has OBD2?
It seems you may be a bit confused. Let me try to help clarify a few points for you. First, all 95s are OBD1 regardless whether it was early or late build. However, early build cars had the round connectors on the passenger side footwell. The later build 95 cars had the rectangular OBD2-style connectors on the driver side below the shifter. Regardless of connectors, all 95s are OBD1.

If yours is an early build, I'm not sure why you have the rectangular connector. I've owned 1 late 95 (rectangular) and 2 early 95s (round). Maybe the PO converted to the rectangular connector. Where is your connector located?

Your car is OBD1 with OBD2-style connector. If your diagnostic tool has the rectangular connector, simply plug it directly to your car, no need for the round adaptor. Hope that was helpful.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 75 Posts

Since we are talking production change over differences - as a point of reference my May/95 cabrio has the OBD2 style rectangular connector in the driver's console footwell, but has the earlier style blower.

It did spend some time in Exclusive Department however . . .

Happy Thanksgiving Nam!

Old 11-21-2017, 11:41 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Since we are talking production change over differences - as a point of reference my May/95 cabrio has the OBD2 style rectangular connector in the driver's console footwell, but has the earlier style blower.

It did spend some time in Exclusive Department however . . .

Happy Thanksgiving Nam!

Yes sir, the changeover differences are what’s causing people lots of confusions. My first 993 was a 6/95 build with OBD2 style rectangular connector and newer style rear blower.

Happy Thanksgiving, Al!!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:22 AM
whitelightnin
Instructor

My OBD connecter is on the driver side. My car is a cabriolet if that makes a difference and it has the OEM bat phone which may have caused a change when the phone was installed at the port.

I can't, however, connect the Bergvill OBD reader because the cable between the connecter and the reader comes out of the side of the connector preventing it from fitting through the opening to the OBD connector on the car. According to Gert, I will have to find a cable adaptor to convert his reader from a side mount to a cable that connects to the back of the connector. It is somewhat puzzling that he sells a reader specifically for the 993 that will not fit through the hole to the OBD connector nor does he offer for sale a conversion cable.

By the way, much thanks for the explanations about the OBD in the 95 993. I now believe I have a good understanding. The only mystery that remains is why my early build has the rectangular connector not the round one.

Does anyone on th board have a 95 with the bat phone? If so, what kind of OBD connector do you have?
Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 AM
whitelightnin
Instructor

Let me clear up my mistake in naming Gert as the supplier. He was not the supplier of the reader. It was Tore at Bergvill. Sorry, I am old and get easily confused.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by whitelightnin
Let me clear up my mistake in naming Gert as the supplier. He was not the supplier of the reader. It was Tore at Bergvill. Sorry, I am old and get easily confused.
I can see by the list of all those cars, you've had fun times.....that's a smart fellow with a long term plan

cheers
Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

That’s very weird to hear your T-OBD will not plug into the car’s OBD2 port. Are you sure you’re inserting it in the correct orientation? We call it rectangular, but it’s more of an isosceles rectangle. It will only fit in one direction. Take a look and try again. Are these what you have on hand?

You won’t need this adapter.

Try to orient this connector to match the OBD2 port.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

I am guessing here, but it seems that most of us have misunderstood the thread authors initial message. He has a a 993 with the OBD port on the centre console, probably a 1995/2 version. However, the car also has a "bat phone" centre console add-on, and the wider nature of this makes the OBD port more recessed than the stock 993 centre console. The fact that the T-OBD has the USB cable coming out of the side of the connector makes it impossible to insert through the console opening to insert it to the diagnostic connector in this car.
This could be solved by using a OBD extender cable, a type that has the wiring coming out of the outer end of the connector.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 11-22-2017, 10:01 AM
whitelightnin
Instructor

Thanks Tore for your reply. I agree with your analysis.

Let me tell you all that Tore has been extremely prompt on his replies to my emails and has offered to let me return the product. However, I have located a cable on Amazon which will arrive in a few days that will allow me to make the connection. I won't hesitate in the future to buy product from Tore as it has been a pleasure to deal with him. His follow up service has been notable.

Quick Reply: Surprised by my 95's OBD