Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

5 Things I Hate About the 993...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:14 PM
nasa ser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, take that thing to the track, you truly have no idea what your 993 will do until you track it, enjoyed mine on Sat at Dominion raceway here in Virginia, raced there in my Spec e30 a few times but more fun in the 993 at a HODE
Originally Posted by mpruden
I like his list. Especially "value" and the love/hate "patina" issue. I wouldn't have thought of those.

Jakob - I have the perfect solution if you read this. Start tracking the car like you originally intended. You'll get over the patina issue real fast and track insurance handles the value problem. It also gives you an endless source of content for 911% next year. When you start selling off all your possessions to support your track hobby, you'll thank/blame me. I expect Top Gear quality camera work. Just think of the possibilities.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:19 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
This thread has a surprising amount of negativity.

The creator has a channel dedicated to his 993. It’s not your average crappy YouTube channel. It’s well produced at significant effort just for the love of the car.

Not to mention, he’s a long time member of this very forum that has probably tried to help many of us.

Am I missing something? Why the hate?
I have been thinking and wondering the same things.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:20 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

No hate here. I do find it interesting that only 2 of the 5 complaints can be blamed on the car itself.
1. Values are the product of supply and demand. Despite the claim that these were "a dime a dozen," at one time, the fact is that the production numbers and the
number of cars imported to North America was quite low relative to the rest of the automotive market at the time. Many collectors now want them and there aren't
many to be had.
2. Vintage performance? Well it is a 20+/- year old car. There is still more than enough power to get oneself in a heap of trouble quickly.
3. Patina? Once again it is a 20+/- year old car. Don't like the chips, dings or worn upholstery? Find a resto shop.
4. 20+/- year old car.
5. Valve guides? Welcome to the world of air-cooled 911 motors. This has been a problem of various degree across the entire line of air cooled flat sixes. Yes the
SAI system has made the issue even more problematic.

Things that should made the list:
-Odometer drive gear failure (There are two types of 993's with this issue, cars that have had the failure and cars that will)
-Immobilizer (possibly the most ridiculous anti-theft system ever)
-Old collapsible spare tires, with no fresh replacements available anywhere.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:55 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I think he has a strong point on #1. It forever changed the way people use these cars. They seem to be more trophies and bragging rights than anything else. It was fun back in the day when you could buy a turbo driver for $50-$60k. I would see LOTS of em on track having fun. Plenty on daily drivers around too. Now most are hidden away "protected". Sad really.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:33 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Thread is a great example of why so many people have stopped posting on the 993 Rennlist board. Jakob has done more for the 993 community then most and obviously some have no clue. So go back to ripping someone that spends countless hours giving you more 993 content on the youtube then anyone else.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:35 PM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

The issue of $$ paid versus worth- well, good luck getting most ANY car to appreciate a bit. I like to think of it as keeping pace with the maintenance I am doing- which is another point. This car is 20 year old. I have owned F 150's for almost that long and guess what- same problems- similar cost, yet the difference is we all CHOOSE to keep up witht he maintenance with a P car versus an old ford ( in my case) that is NOT appreciating.
The SAI system is a HUGE PITA!!! I have been dealing with it this year- and while my car burns NO oil and the passages were super clean and I replaces the check valve, there's an O2 sensor sending a bad signal ( $ 400 dollars worth of sensors will fix this- ugh).

My list of "ughs" would include the SAI system for sure- but also the tall Reverse gear- GEEZ how fast do you need to go in reverse! I'd also include the heat/air system. here in MN, my car will barely get warm on a very cold winter day ( i drive it when it's clear and sunny in the winter-which also means its freaking cold!) and the AC is OK, but only until it's about 90 outside- then it's, Meh! That's what you get in a place with 100+ temp swings every year.

All in all a pretty great car for a 20+ year old machine.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by nr1416
This Thread is a great example of why so many people have stopped posting on the 993 Rennlist board. Jakob has done more for the 993 community then most and obviously some have no clue. So go back to ripping someone that spends countless hours giving you more 993 content on the youtube then anyone else.
Maybe the guy is doing great things for the community, but the video is lame. its clickbait, not to mention the majority of the things he hates about his car don't involve the car. and complaining about valve guides when his appear to be fine. not much worthwhile content in his other videos either. so what has this individual done for the 993 community?

Last edited by Quadcammer; 11-20-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Perhaps because modern American culture loves to hate and in 2017 most are armchair critics with Internet access? Just a guess....
BINGO!
Old 11-20-2017, 04:43 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Linking this exchange to modern American culture misses the point(s).
Appropriate criticism and disagreement are neither "hate" nor "ripping someone"; it was he who posted this unflattering video.
Knowing this forum, as some have indicated, he must have anticipated reactions.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
Linking this exchange to modern American culture misses the point(s).
Appropriate criticism and disagreement are neither "hate" nor "ripping someone"; it was he who posted this unflattering video.
Knowing this forum, as some have indicated, he must have anticipated reactions.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” --Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-20-2017, 06:30 PM
BlackSnake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this over a YouTube video?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:30 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

tWow. Replies are so interesting. Calling him out as Canadian, dissing his music, calling his tone of voice as whining. So entertaining. 'Mmurica. F$*k yeah!

But really. The guy clearly loves his 993 as do I mine. Every car that I feel passionately about also has nuances that I hate but appreciate at the same time. I may be wrong but I believe Jakob is doing the same. He appreciates patina but dislikes rock chips. He is happy about values but unhappy that is alters how he drives it. If no one on the forums feels the same about patina or values on their 993's then I would be surprised. I'm going to add another hate of mine. Jacking points. God do I hate jacking the engine case just to lift the rear of the vehicle. It feels wrong despite so many people saying it is fine to do so. Only 4 jack points? Surely they could have added another two with front/rear or middle left/right side. What's this thing about ultimate evolution of the air cooled 911? I think they devolved on jacking points.....
Old 11-20-2017, 09:10 PM
luft
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bravo give the man credit as he succeeded to get our attention, refreshing to stimulate us sitting high on the mountain last of the air cooled elite haha.
I agree not all while i love my 993, for me the worst thing is the electric spoiler gimmicks what a nonsense flopping this gimmick up and down LOL.
Dont worry guys he cant be insulted if you have the ***** to post this on the holy 993 forum, i give a lot of credit.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:51 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Unfortunately lots Since you are Canadian you know the type
Do you harbor a prejudice against Canadians, or....?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Funny really...my take away
#1- absolutely agree, I treat my 4S differently after values jumped, than I did originally. Acquired in 2010, was a seasonal DD, complete with roof rack to transport various bikes to races April-November. Vivid memories of muddy fields with stuck minivans at cycle cross races, no problem getting in/out.

#2-vintage performance, throw $$ at it, problem solved. Yea, yea I know, my 16 Focus RS would drive circles around the 4S in probably every circumstance. That being said, the experience simply isn’t comparable. You guys get it, most don’t...

#3-vintage “patina”, throw $$ at it, or live with it...either way, problem solved

#4-“always something” needs attention...the cars are 20+ years old, so yea. Loved the line about hearing every little different noise. Seven years, and 65k miles of ownership in, and every time the red exclamation point light comes on...for low fuel mind you, I still jump.

#5-the valve guide myth continued. I’m at 112k, 5 owners..the one before me tracked the car. Uses approximately 1/2qt per thousand miles, I think I’m good.

Now I gotta find that 5 things I love video

Quick Reply: 5 Things I Hate About the 993...