Sponsored by:

RS Swaybar setting, which hole?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 PM
HAKOSUKA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Swaybar setting, which hole?

im having the RS swaybars installed soon by my local shop, want to know what should i tell them how to set it up? (or what hole to put)
i was planning on having the fronts in the middle hole
the rear in the softest setting?
will this help me for a better cornering?
car is driven mostly street, highway and windy mountain roads
anyone can explain me what are the pros and cons between having a stiffer front setting or stiffer rear? or should i go middle hole front and rear?
going stiffer on the rear setting will i have more understeer?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by HAKOSUKA
im having the RS swaybars installed soon by my local shop, want to know what should i tell them how to set it up? (or what hole to put)
i was planning on having the fronts in the middle hole
the rear in the softest setting?
will this help me for a better cornering?
car is driven mostly street, highway and windy mountain roads
anyone can explain me what are the pros and cons between having a stiffer front setting or stiffer rear? or should i go middle hole front and rear?
going stiffer on the rear setting will i have more understeer?
RS sways are a tuning tool The different positions change the handling a bit, sometimes in a way you want and sometimes not.
Stiffening the front(using the holes that shorten the lever arm) increases under steer/decreases over steer
stiffening the rear increases over steer/decreases under steer

stiffening both ends by equally adding to the net wheel rate just adds to roll resistance w/o affecting other characteristics, relaxing both ends does the opposite
Old 11-17-2017, 07:09 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

what are you trying to accomplish?

i run full soft in front, full stiff in the rear to get better rotation.

unless you are track junkie driving at 9/10th, it doesnt really matter.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 PM
HAKOSUKA
Advanced

Im trying to get the car to enter a curve or bend in a higher speed, dont know if im getting myself clear with this statement,
i.e. while speeding and entering a bend or curve i feel like my car will lose the tail if i go a tad faster, and it feels scary cause seems it will oversteer, is like the feeling of inertia taking over the back end.
with the readings that i have done, people say to stiffen the front setting (RS swaybar) and put it in the softest setting on the rear.
just wanted to make sure im doing this right and start from here and try it to see if it suits me
just wanted to add some other info:
c2
tyres rear 225/40-18; front 285/30-18
KW V3 shocks
a tad higher than RS height (havent meassured yet)

Last edited by HAKOSUKA; 11-18-2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: edited
Old 11-18-2017, 12:17 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

It perplexes me why anyone would go with RS sway bar with that little understanding of what they do or how they do it. What's the point? Because they sound cool? You use words like "understeer" without understanding the meaning (and while describing oversteer, which would make it hilarious if it wasn't scary).

Here's an honest suggestion. Put RS bars onto whatever hole. Stop pushing the car. Start educating yourself by either doing autocrossing or DEs. After a while, you will begin to understand what the car does and doesn't do and, after a longer while, why. If you are sensitive enough (I'm not), you'll be able to understand what the car is asking you for and that would lead you to putting RS bars on the right holes. Without it... I'm very much afraid it will not end well at all.

The preceding statements were brought to you by concerned users of public roads, one or several of which can be hurt by your use of dangerous and deadly weapon without training. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:48 AM
HAKOSUKA
Advanced

Originally Posted by nile13
It perplexes me why anyone would go with RS sway bar with that little understanding of what they do or how they do it. What's the point? Because they sound cool? You use words like "understeer" without understanding the meaning (and while describing oversteer, which would make it hilarious if it wasn't scary).

Here's an honest suggestion. Put RS bars onto whatever hole. Stop pushing the car. Start educating yourself by either doing autocrossing or DEs. After a while, you will begin to understand what the car does and doesn't do and, after a longer while, why. If you are sensitive enough (I'm not), you'll be able to understand what the car is asking you for and that would lead you to putting RS bars on the right holes. Without it... I'm very much afraid it will not end well at all.

The preceding statements were brought to you by concerned users of public roads, one or several of which can be hurt by your use of dangerous and deadly weapon without training. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.
MY BAD for some reason i wrote what i was not thinking
let me correct myself oversteer, i apologize for the misunderstanding while typing wrong of what i was thinking atm
its not that i go super fast on the roads, i go on the speed limit which in my country is 100 KMH, thats not a very fast speed so that is why i want to correct the problem, which my local shop suggested me to do
if my post made u angry at some point im sorry that i didnt write it correctly, (in my case english is not my mother language)
i thought this was a forum where people get educated and not bashed for what they say
Old 11-18-2017, 01:01 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your post did not make me angry. More sad, than anythings else. And, as a long-term instructor, it made me think of what would actually help. Which is what I've verbalized above.

English is not my native tongue either. It's not about English. It's about not hurting yourself and others by trying to do something you do not understand with a fairly dangerous and weird-handling car. And possible corrective action before it's too late. A least I find that educational. If you want to be educated on which hole to use for RS vars for your stated goals, the answer has also been given above - it doesn't matter which hole.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:27 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13

Here's an honest suggestion. .......... <snip>.
Thank you nile 13

Hakosuka, he has provide real-world feedback.
If you are not exceeding 100kph, it is unlikely that either understeer or oversteer will be a significant problem, though I am wrong if you are driving the road up / down Iroha-zaka, the winding road that connects Nikko and Lake Chunzenji with 48 switchbacks.

cheers
Old 11-18-2017, 10:37 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Just my experience based on my own experimentation....

Middle stiffness front and full stiff rear makes my car VERY easy to rotate under braking at the track. This is one thing I love about the 993 with RS bars. I would never want the rear of the car to start to slide like this on the street though.

I do notice a rougher ride as I firm up the bars, so I run them full soft for street cruising
Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

If you are feeling scary oversteer at these speeds then you almost certainly have an alignment problem. Do you have a shop that understands kinetic toe settings on the 993 and can ensure a good alignment?

I’d start there first. These cars handle very well out of the box, rs sways are not necessary.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Im trying to get the car to enter a curve or bend in a higher speed, dont know if im getting myself clear with this statement,
i.e. while speeding and entering a bend or curve i feel like my car will lose the tail if i go a tad faster, and it feels scary cause seems it will oversteer, is like the feeling of inertia taking over the back end.
with the readings that i have done, people say to stiffen the front setting (RS swaybar) and put it in the softest setting on the rear.
just wanted to make sure im doing this right and start from here and try it to see if it suits me
just wanted to add some other info:
c2
tyres rear 225/40-18; front 285/30-18
KW V3 shocks
a tad higher than RS height (havent meassured yet)
I think that you have either an alignment( especially wrt KT) issue or a bushing issue or a tire pressure issue, be sure to have all checked along w/ a basic performance alignment.

A stock 993 w/ good bushes and alignment(especially kt) will be a basic understeerer, your choice of tires amplifies this condition. The fact that the rear feels to be loose rather than tight says that you have an other issue.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:48 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Your post did not make me angry. More sad, than anythings else. And, as a long-term instructor, it made me think of what would actually help. Which is what I've verbalized above.

English is not my native tongue either. It's not about English. It's about not hurting yourself and others by trying to do something you do not understand with a fairly dangerous and weird-handling car. And possible corrective action before it's too late. A least I find that educational. If you want to be educated on which hole to use for RS vars for your stated goals, the answer has also been given above - it doesn't matter which hole.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:33 PM
HAKOSUKA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I think that you have either an alignment( especially wrt KT) issue or a bushing issue or a tire pressure issue, be sure to have all checked along w/ a basic performance alignment.

A stock 993 w/ good bushes and alignment(especially kt) will be a basic understeerer, your choice of tires amplifies this condition. The fact that the rear feels to be loose rather than tight says that you have an other issue.
Thanks bill and Tlaloc75 and mpruden I will have a look and check the alignment and see who can do the KT alignment . Will have the alignment in consideration and check all the bushings and control arms as well
Old 11-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think the OP's question is a valid one. Remember, we all had to start our knowledge base somewhere. Before the internet, most of us soldiered alone in our performance upgrades, maybe getting tips here and there from mechanics, other enthusiasts, R&T, C&D, etc. Today, discussion boards offer a huge level of information that can be answered almost instantaneously. No foul here with the OP's query.

Back on topic. I would set your shocks and your RS bars to middle settings and drive it for a while. Get comfortable with that current state and figure out what you like and don't like about it. If it rides too stiffly, soften the shocks. Still rough? Soften both bars. Or try doing the bars first. Too much roll? Start stiffening both components. You will really need to play around and have some idea of vehicle dynamics to know what action is creating the specific change.

The problem with answering a broad question such as "what settings do I use?" is that the answer is dependent on your roads, your driving style, your ride expectations, your performance expectations and your car's chassis personality, in addition to the aforementioned shock settings.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2017, 01:22 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

i feel like my car will lose the tail if i go a tad faster, and it feels scary cause seems it will oversteer,
The feeling might be incorrect.

Unless you have plenty of seat time sliding the car around the track, your feeling doesn't count as feedback. One clue you can use is if your tires are squealing? If they are quiet (and it's warm) they are not at the limit.

But again only at the track you can actually experiment taking the same corner over and over. For now, set them to softest setting and forget it. The car has incredible amount of grip and behaves very well if set-up correctly.

Quick Reply: RS Swaybar setting, which hole?