Sponsored by:

Just added a Mille Miglia exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 06:27 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Just added a Mille Miglia exhaust

I just installed a set of Mille Miglia mufflers and thought it may interest some of you to hear about it.

The installation was a little tricky because the MM mufflers have tips welded on. Normally, you would remove the tips to give you better access to the mounting hardware. However, after some considerable cursing, I managed to get them on. As usual, I went to the local DIY centre where I hire the use of a lift at ~$12/hour. A great resource to have!

The tips are a great feature of the MM mufflers. They look exactly how I want my tips to look, and very similar to the large ovals. As you can see from the photos, they fill the bodywork and have that straight cut look (i.e. no folded edges)

Now for the fun part... When I fired up the engine, there was a much more pronounced deep rumble. Inside the car, I can finally really hear (and feel) the exhaust note and hear what the engine is doing. There is quite in increase in noise on the inside throughout the revs, but it is what I expected and about the right amount for my taste. Finally it sounds like a sports car! Once warmed up, I took it out on the freeway for some WOT action. It gives a much crisper and songful howl at the top end.

Other people have compared these to the RSR and Fabspeed alternatives and, iirc, these are in between the Fabspeed Maxflos and Supercups in terms of volume. If I had put anything quieter on, I would probably have been disappointed. They are still not what I consider loud on the outside, but I wouldn't go any louder on the inside. I wonder how the Supercups compare on the inside of the car...

As for power increase, the MM site has a dyno chart showing a peak gain of 6hp at the wheels (~7hp at the flywheel).

There should be a weight reduction benefit as well. Can anyone tell me how much the stock mufflers weigh (including the heat shields)?

Before and after:
Attached Images  

Last edited by graham_mitchell; 12-10-2003 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice Graham - where did you go to hire the lift?
I may have need for one soon...
Old 12-10-2003, 07:07 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Sorry Surj, it's not in the UK, it's in Scandinavia. I have never seen these places outside Scandinavia but they are a great idea. Fill a warehouse with 20 lifts or so, and charge people by the hour to put their cars up on them. Most of the businesses hire tools and sell nuts, bolts, etc too so if you forgot to bring a tool or a part you can get out of trouble easily enough.

The place I go to is a normal garage which has a few spare lifts on the side. So almost everyone else there is a mechanic, and they happily lend me their tools and occasionally a spare hand. That was really handy when I was changing the transmission fluid and I had to borrow their oil pump (it looked like an oversize syringe) to get the oil into an otherwise inaccessible hole!
Old 12-10-2003, 07:38 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wicked!

But, they look a bit "thin"?
Old 12-10-2003, 07:47 AM
Miraculix
Pro

What are these called?
These are fitted on Surj's car:
Old 12-10-2003, 08:01 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

They're Dansk tips bolted onto the ends of my RSRs
Old 12-10-2003, 08:58 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile

You can't beat the good old Large Ovals. Apart from on price that is...

Cheers,

David
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Surj:
Do you think they'll fit my car?
I've got the Porsche motorsound package exhaust system..
Where did you get them from and how much did they cost?
(I'm talking about the tips)

David:
What's the difference between the Dansk ones Surjs's got fitted? They look pretty much the same to me... (maybe the large oval do seem more oval then Surj's ones though)
Old 12-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi Thomas,

Biggest difference is unfortunately the price, plus the Dansk ones are a little chunkier. The Porsche ones sit dead centre in the gap and are "slash"- cut to reflect the shape of the rear bumper. Supposedly the large ovals are stainless steel though I still suspect that they might be chromed steel.

Cheers,

David
Old 12-10-2003, 09:19 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Ok, so the dansk ones are just cutted straight off without paying any attention to the bumper shape?

The original ones and the large ovals are cut not to interfear with the bumper "round" design just like the original ones, yeaa?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:21 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Thomas, yes that pretty much sums it up. The Mille Miglia tips are also cut at an angle to follow the body work.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi Graham,

I forgot to ask - your exhaust probably sounds deeper than the RSR as they are fairly tinny (reminds me of a sports bike sound). I miss the bass rumble from my 3.2 which, even in standard form, could set off car alarms. Can you drive though a multi storey and check this functionality out?! I tried it with the RSRs and scored nul points...

Cheers,

David

Where did you get your Recaros and what do they cost? Are they the ones that look like those lovely seats that go in the GT3? Have you gone with leather or cloth?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Graham: What are you doing here? I thought you where out getting a new job?

BTW: The tips don't do much to the sound, no?
I posted a new thread asking if anyone has any pictures of a car with Gerts heat shields fitted?
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93074.htm
Old 12-10-2003, 09:47 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thomas - my car has these heat shields fitted already. Also, the Dansk tips are about £110 a set.

David - are you sure about your RSRs not setting off car alarms? I've managed it with mine in the covered (of course) parking at Bluewater!!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Miraculix
Pro

Surj:

I can't find any of your pictures with heat shields?

You've managed to set off car alarms with your exhaust?
Are you sure you didn't hit the parked car? Hehe
Sounds like loads of bass..

Quick Reply: Just added a Mille Miglia exhaust