Sponsored by:

Front Passenger Turn Signal - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Just a note: I use dielectric grease on all electrical connections. Contacts can oxidize pretty easy, and it helps reduce corrosion.
Thanks will try this too!
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you sure that you didn't mix-up the wiring harness connections between the turn signal and the side marker?

Based on your description, it sounds like the bulb socket for the turn signal is open, and your bulb is installed in the socket for the side marker.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ivan J
Are you sure that you didn't mix-up the wiring harness connections between the turn signal and the side marker?

Based on your description, it sounds like the bulb socket for the turn signal is open, and your bulb is installed in the socket for the side marker.
No. The front turn signal has a "Dual Filament Bulb." It comes on as a running light and flashes as a turn signal. Currently, it's not flashing only comes on if I turn all the lights on and stays solid. If I turn the turn signal stock to the right on that side it flashes like crazy and is not lit only the rear bulb flashes rapidly. If I turn the Hazards on only the Front Passenger WILL NOT LIGHT OR FLASH all other three will blink.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:00 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Like I said if I put the Hazards on all three will flash except front pass side.
This makes sense. The hazard switch just activates a relay that flashes all four turn signal filaments at the same time.

It still seems to me that you're having an issue getting juice to the passenger side front turn signal filament.

One other suggestion...I can't remember if the contacts in the bulb socket are the thin metal type that can be bent upward. If they are, reach in with a pick or small screwdriver and bend them so that they stand up "prouder." It may just be something as simple as a flattened contact not touching the bulb base.

Last edited by TMc993; 10-10-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure if it could occur, but is it possible for relay (up under LH corner of dash) to malfunction (as opposed to complete fail) and cause the 3 only to work? I know a rapid flash, of any sort, usually means one corner needs addressing, and may NOT be the corner that's not working. I love old electronics 😖
Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

From the 928 forum. Same problem, just on left rear instead of right front:

I wanted to update this thread for reference in case someone has a similar issue. As with many issues, the devil is in the details. I started to trace the wiring and couldn't find any area that appeared to be significantly worn or shorted. So i started over again from the beginning, starting with the fuse panel. It occurred to me that even though the fuse was still operational for the left rear turn signal - the fuse visually was fine and I had voltage at the socket - I went ahead and just swapped in a new fuse and lo and behold the signal started working again.

My guess is that there was enough surface corrosion to cause enough of a voltage drop that would keep the bulb from lighting. So definitely a lesson learned for me - fully run down the simple problem areas before trying to over complicate issues. And also make sure your connections are cleaned.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Thanks again guys. I swapped out the existing turn signal fuses with all new ones. Still nothing.

I am betting the Relay has failed partially. When I originally put in the "single filament incorrect 1156 bulb" vs the correct 1157 Dual Filament bulb it jacked / shorted the relay. Just ordered a new Turn Signal / Hazard Relay from Suncoast. I have exhausted every other possible option. I deserved this one! My fault! Argh!

Guessing popping out the Gas / Oil gauge is the best way to access the damn Relay buried behind the dash from a few threads I have read on here. Will report back. Son of A! I could just kick myself for not checking they were the correct bulbs!!

Last edited by Gbos1; 10-10-2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:48 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

I could just kick myself for not checking they were the correct bulbs!!
If the incorrect bulb did in fact blow the relay, then the relay was definitely on its last legs and you just helped it along a little bit. These things happen when you work on your own stuff and in the end you (And hopefully others) will have learned something. Let us know when you get it repaired.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Crazy as this sounds, the alarm module actually plays a part in controlling the turn signal bulbs.

While I doubt it is causing your problems, don't ignore it in your troubleshooting.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

Sorry for your troubles GBos. Hope you have small hands to fit though the oil gauge opening.

Check out this thread, and my post at #116 for images of the gauge and relay being removed. Now would be a great time to install Tore's LED lights and this LED flash relay. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/812306-led-turn-tail-brake-lights-kit-from-tore-8.html
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
Sorry for your troubles GBos. Hope you have small hands to fit though the oil gauge opening.

Check out this thread, and my post at #116 for images of the gauge and relay being removed. Now would be a great time to install Tore's LED lights and this LED flash relay. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...om-tore-8.html
Ha! I read a few threads here and they didn't have any issues reaching in to swap it out. Shall see! Yeah I hear you about the LEDs. Maybe next Spring when I get some more time. Will report back on my findings. This is a last ditch effort and already have an appointment with my mechanic if this doesn't work.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

**UPDATE**

Got the new Turn Signal Relay

Popped out the Gas / Oil Gauge inside dash .....easy as pie to replace. Hand fit fine. NOTHING has changed! Old Relay was good! Passenger Right Front Blinker WILL NOT BLINK! Will come on as driving light but will not flash. Inside when put on right turn signal it flashes fast and rear passenger light flashes. Fuse is good and tested. I checked every fuse in the fuse box and all are good.

I have exhausted all options at this point and it's going to my mechanic next Monday. "I GIVE UP!"
Old 10-24-2017, 08:52 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

**UPDATE**

Took my car to my mechanic yesterday. Gets the car up on the lift..removes front passenger wheel. Traces Passenger Turn signal wire.... LOW AND BEHOLD at some point before I got the car a rodent chewed the wire... literally like little teeth marks! When I went to remove / change out the lens and bulb it must have been enough to pull the wire apart thus causing the connection to fail! So anyways he went in and replaced everything and checked everything else and all looks great. BIZZARRE!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 08:59 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

**UPDATE**

Took my car to my mechanic yesterday. Gets the car up on the lift..removes front passenger wheel. Traces Passenger Turn signal wire.... LOW AND BEHOLD at some point before I got the car a rodent chewed the wire... literally like little teeth marks! When I went to remove / change out the lens and bulb it must have been enough to pull the wire apart thus causing the connection to fail! So anyways he went in and replaced everything and checked everything else and all looks great. BIZZARRE!!!
Yes the little f,,k,rs love the taste of premium vinyl wire insulation!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

**UPDATE**

lol I would never have thought to look for that, at least it was easy to fix.

Quick Reply: Front Passenger Turn Signal - Help