Sponsored by:

Front Passenger Turn Signal - Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 541 Posts
Default Front Passenger Turn Signal - Help

Hi guys, installed the Euro Clear Corners from FVD I purchased from Suncoast. There were orange bulbs supplied so I used my existing harness / outlet put in the orange bulbs and screwed into clear corner housing. Everything worked as usual both turn signals no issue. Just was returning from a drive and notice my passenger turn signal on the dash starts flashing quickly. Get home and my front passenger turn signal is out and the rear one flashes fast. I checked the existing orange bulb and it looked good. I tried a new bulb and nothing. Did a fuse blow? Where is it located? Not sure why it would blow? Thanks for any help / advice so I can fix this. Driver's side front and rear signal is fine and works perfectly.

Name:  IMG_5966.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  313.8 KB

Last edited by Gbos1; 10-07-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:57 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

US spec cars use 1157 double-filament bulbs in the front turn signals.
Which type of bulbs were supplied with the housings? I guess 1156 single filament, they are used in european/ROW cars.

If you use the original turn signal bulb holders, you have to use orange 1157 dual filament bulbs.

Cheers,
Tore
Old 10-08-2017, 09:29 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

If the bulbs are correct make sure you didn't plug the pigtails in reverse polarity. I know from personal experience if you do this on the rear turm signal housings the wrong filament is used and the turn signals flash very rapidly.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:33 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
US spec cars use 1157 double-filament bulbs in the front turn signals.
Which type of bulbs were supplied with the housings? I guess 1156 single filament, they are used in european/ROW cars.

If you use the original turn signal bulb holders, you have to use orange 1157 dual filament bulbs.

Cheers,
Tore
Thanks Tore. So just to be clear... any 1157 bulb will work? I see a "A" and "NA" after the 1157 does it matter? Thanks
Old 10-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
If the bulbs are correct make sure you didn't plug the pigtails in reverse polarity. I know from personal experience if you do this on the rear turm signal housings the wrong filament is used and the turn signals flash very rapidly.
I don't even know how you could do this? There are 3 prongs "Female to Male" and they line up. It's impossible to do so. I am going to run out today get some 1157 Amber Bulbs and report back. Guessing this is the issue over the 1156 bulbs that were supplied with the Clear Lenses.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

G- i remember doing this years ago on another 993. I reused the original socket and original bulb. I can't quite recall what the issue was with the supplied clear bulb. Check the fuse under the carpet in the Frunk ? Hope you get this sorted.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Ok guys... went out got 1157 Amber Dual Filament bulbs. Put them in same thing happening. I checked the fuse box all 4 turn signal fuses look good (7.5 AMP) and not blown. Pass rear light flashes fast and front pass turn signal is dead not lit. If I turn on all the lights the pass bulb lights up but will not blink but the rear bulb flashes fast. Do you guys think the turn signal relay went? I hear it clicking and the driver's side works perfect. If I put on the Hazard Lights.. Front Passenger Turn Signal will not blink but the other 3 blink normal ? I even swapped the passenger side bulb socket pigtail to the driver's side and works properly so its not the outlet or bulb. I am guessing ground issue or Turn Signal Relay. Thoughts?

Last edited by Gbos1; 10-09-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

*bump* If I put on the Hazards all 3 corners flash except for front passenger. I am guessing the ground wire came loose. Where is the Front Passenger Turn Signal Ground Located? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 01:56 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gbos1
I don't even know how you could do this? There are 3 prongs "Female to Male" and they line up. It's impossible to do so. I am going to run out today get some 1157 Amber Bulbs and report back. Guessing this is the issue over the 1156 bulbs that were supplied with the Clear Lenses.
My error, senior moment, the fast blinking is when the rear side marker and the real pigtail that shares the same pigtail plug style are switched resulting in the improper bulb load on the turn signal.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:07 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Make sure the bulbs are seated all the way in the socket. One of my bulbs came loose on a drive. I had the rapid flash. Checked over my work and found the bulb wasn't seated correctly.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911F1
Make sure the bulbs are seated all the way in the socket. One of my bulbs came loose on a drive. I had the rapid flash. Checked over my work and found the bulb wasn't seated correctly.
Thanks. I triple checked this. I even swapped the socket and bulb from the non working passenger side to working driver's side front turn signal and it worked just fine and how I know it's a connection issue passenger side front signal. Something else is up. I checked every single fuse in my box and all are perfect. Bulb will light up as driving light but will not blink. Argh.... I have eliminated every option at this point. All other lights and bulbs work perfect on the car. This is so frustrating!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:30 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Where is the Front Passenger Turn Signal Ground Located?
IRRC ground wires are brown in color. I doubt it is a ground problem because you said the bulb's parking light filament burns, indicating that the ground is intact for that bulb's circuit.

Similarly, the turn signal relay seems working properly because the rear is blinking rapidly, which is what it is designed to do when the resistance (I think) in the circuit isn't correct due to a faulty bulb. That said, you could reach in with a screwdriver handle and give it a firm tap or two and see what happens. You never know. Screwdriver handle technology can be amazingly effective on 20 year-old relays.

Seriously, I'm wondering if the positive wire to the turn signal filament is corroded/broken (Perhaps at the base of the plug) and preventing the turn signal filament from getting current. Can you pull the bulb and put a meter on the individual contacts, then ground them to see if you have current to both?

One final thing...I have learned never to trust a visual check of a fuse. At least swap them around just to be certain they're good.

Good luck...This is the kind of thing that can drive you nuts.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
Can you pull the bulb and put a meter on the individual contacts, then ground them to see if you have current to both?

One final thing...I have learned never to trust a visual check of a fuse. At least swap them around just to be certain they're good.
+1
Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TMc993
IRRC ground wires are brown in color. I doubt it is a ground problem because you said the bulb's parking light filament burns, indicating that the ground is intact for that bulb's circuit.

Similarly, the turn signal relay seems working properly because the rear is blinking rapidly, which is what it is designed to do when the resistance (I think) in the circuit isn't correct due to a faulty bulb. That said, you could reach in with a screwdriver handle and give it a firm tap or two and see what happens. You never know. Screwdriver handle technology can be amazingly effective on 20 year-old relays.

Seriously, I'm wondering if the positive wire to the turn signal filament is corroded/broken (Perhaps at the base of the plug) and preventing the turn signal filament from getting current. Can you pull the bulb and put a meter on the individual contacts, then ground them to see if you have current to both?

Good luck...This is the kind of thing that can drive you nuts.
Thanks so much for your response! Agreed it can't be the ground since the running light portion does light up. I am going to replace the fuse.. visually it looks good but you could be right! I believe it is a 7.5 AMP just to be sure. Will tap the relay too. This is so frustrating. All I did was swap out the clear bulbs for the amber ones (1156 originally that caused the issue then put in 1157 which are correct now.) and all was working initially before doing so. I will report back what happens. Like I said if I put the Hazards on all three will flash except front pass side. If I turn on the lights the pass bulb will light up but WILL NOT FLASH. If I turn the pass turn signal on the rear will flash fast and nothing up front pass bulb. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2017, 12:51 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a note: I use dielectric grease on all electrical connections. Contacts can oxidize pretty easy, and it helps reduce corrosion.

Quick Reply: Front Passenger Turn Signal - Help