Sponsored by:

Cobra versus Porsche 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 10:51 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cobra versus Porsche 993

As you will note at the bottom, the '02 Boxster S is history....sold to a first time Porsche owner...Now what to do? I've been actively looking for a 993 since I loaded the other one on the carrier....knew I made a mistake but could not renege on an agreement to sell made in good faith..

For a year or so I have been researching cobra replicas....the two best seem to be ERA and Superformance...One the famous Cobra drivers of the 1960s has a shop a few hours away and he is a distributor for Superformance....we have talked a number of times, have ridden in a few and have a trip planned to visit.

Mr. Olthoff has agreed to personally build a 351 Windsor, balanced and blueprinted with a 750 Holly and all the trimmings......420hp and 460ftlbs of torque....It is surprisingly affordable and the value retention is very very high

If I can't find an affordable 993, would you guys let me break Porsche ranks after 30 years, and let me get this Cobra thing out of my blood.....AND STILL BE A RENNLIST MEMBER?

All Right, now tell me all the reasons I am as crazy as an "OUTHOUSE RAT"....
Old 12-05-2002, 10:55 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st things first Berkley......change the avitar!!
Old 12-05-2002, 11:09 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The best Cobra replica fiberglass? How about checking out Shelby. There's another company that's having aluminum bodies fabricated in Poland and the cars are assembled here. IMHO, these are the best Cobra replicas at present.

On the other hand, a 993 isn't a replica, it's a REAL Porsche. And (living in Virginia), you can drive the Porsche nearly every day. Face it, the Cobra is just a toy.

Richard
Old 12-05-2002, 11:39 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Yep it is an adult toy in some respects. As to your other points, Kirkham and Shelby, do offer aluminum but at the price of a new 996TT plus. Actually, Superformance, which is based in South Africa, will do an aluminum body for roughly a $25,000 surcharge....then you are at $90,000 or so.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:10 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO, the Superformance is very nice, but the ERA is an even more accurate replica. I visited ERA a few months ago, and I was VERY impressed by the construction, and the people.

Are you sure Kirkhams are $115K+ on the road? I thought a complete car, less engine, gearbox, and paint was about $60K. Seems like $90K or so should do it, with a 427 or 428. You wouldn't even have to paint it.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:24 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Berkley
Buy the lightning fast kit car. Have your fling & drive it until the first of (a) you've rattled the fillings out of your teeth, (b) it breaks, (c) you're about to suffer irreversible kidney damage, (d) everyone in your town knows your exhaust note & throws trash cans at you as you drive by, (e) the cops meet you in your driveway every time you drive it, or (f) you realize precious few marques can sustain 30 years of actual driving passion & that ain't one of them. Figure six months or so should do it. Then sell the replica, save the memories & get back to the "one you brung to the dance."
Old 12-06-2002, 01:33 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
d) everyone in your town knows your exhaust note & throws trash cans at you as you drive by,

I get that already!! no need for a v8!!
Old 12-06-2002, 01:38 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Todd

I agree that the ERA is a few steps of the Superformance....The price and the waiting time reflect that too...I may be wrong but I thought I saw a new 427 S/O Kirkham being offered by Kirkham for $125,000 on the Cobra Country site....

There is an ERA here in town....it is really impressive
Old 12-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

I don't know whether Kirkham is offering a specific car for $125K, though I'm sure it's possible to spend that much if you really want to.
I'm pretty sure that a complete roller from Kirkham -- everything except engine, trans, and paint -- is about $60,000. The Kirkhams seem to be great to deal with from what I've heard (ERA and SPF too). I met the Kirkham brothers at the NY auto show last year, where they were donating a car for the Sept. 11 fund. It was absolutely stunning, and the brothers were great to talk to.
Look at their website -- <a href="http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com" target="_blank">www.kirkhammotorsports.com</a> -- it's full of info, although there were no prices last time I looked. If you email or call them, I'm sure you'll get all the info you need. It really is like buying a brand new (but better built) 427 Cobra.

One of these days . . .
Old 12-06-2002, 09:51 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Todd

Take a look on ebay.....the unpainted Cobra the Kirkhams had listed for a long time on Cobra Country is on ebay.....maybe the market is getting slow

I read an article about them using an ex-MIG factory in Poland.... took an original car, i.e. 300k plus, to go by

I can only dream
Old 12-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

The original Cobra the Kirkhams replicated is their own family's car! I can't find the ebay Kirkham car. If 90-ish is within your budget, definitely look at them, ebay notwithstanding.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:48 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Phil McGrath:
<strong>1st things first Berkley......change the avitar!!</strong><hr></blockquote>

funny
Old 12-06-2002, 11:59 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Berkley,

Kirkham #199 is currently for sale by a private party on ebay. It has a 427, and is in bare aluminum. Current bid is $75,100.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:42 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I would only consider the new Cobras offered by Shelby American. Carroll finally got tired of everyone and his brother making money off replicas and decided to start producing them again in 1996. They are now called the CSX4000 427 Cobra SC.
<a href="http://www.shelbyamerican.com" target="_blank">www.shelbyamerican.com</a>
Old 12-07-2002, 03:25 AM
James_J
Advanced

If you want to see new Cobras and similar, you may be interested in this site from AC cars of Great Britain. (I considered one of these before I got my C2S): <a href="http://www.accars.co.uk" target="_blank">AC Cars</a>

Quick Reply: Cobra versus Porsche 993