993 Forum 1995-1998

A great weekend drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:55 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
Default A great weekend drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway

I was lucky enough to have a free weekend for a cruise on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I went up late Friday afternoon to set up "base camp" at a great place called the Alpine Inn in Little Switzerland, NC.

I drove the Parkway south on Saturday, enjoying perfect weather while visiting Mt. Mitchell, Craggy Gardens, Mt. Pisgah, and the Sierra Nevada Brewery near Asheville (Disneyland for adults!); finishing up the day having dinner with friends in downtown Asheville and heading back up the mountain in a hard rain to Little Switzerland.

Sunday was more perfect weather and stops for hikes at Linville Falls (after running a turkey guantlet!), the Linn Cove Viaduct on the Parkway, and a stop for lunch in Blowing Rock.

All in all, a fantastic trip. The car performed flawlessly over nearly 800 miles, and was great fun on the twisty bits as well as being a perfectly capable highway cruiser when needed. I do love the 993!
Attached Images           

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 09-25-2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Detail
Old 09-25-2017, 02:09 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Beautiful pics and thanks for sharing. I've always wanted to make that drive but isn't the speed limit 30 or something?
Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Beautiful pics and thanks for sharing. I've always wanted to make that drive but isn't the speed limit 30 or something?
Thank you. The speed limit on most of the Parkway is 45 mph, and in many places exceeding this by *ahem* a small margin results in some plenty entertaining driving.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:23 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

You're so lucky to live near these awesome roads and breathtaking scenery Mike! These pics remind me of the fun times we had there the last couple of years.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Great stuff, and some really nice photos - thanks for sharing.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:24 PM
96Tiger
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great pics, gotta love the mountains of western North Carolina. I’ve been there dozens of times but never in the 911 - I think I’m long over due.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Wish I would have known you are going - could have met you. Took the dual-sport Sunday to ride the Park Way. Let me know next time. Best!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:32 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 272 Posts

Great pics! Hmmmmmmmmmm...Maybe we could make a Rennlist 993-only event later on this Fall or in the Spring.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Magicscott
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Magnificent pics on the BRP! I can certainly understand how much fun a 993 could be on that special road. I was on the BRP on my BMW GS in August--oh what fun it is to ride!

Cheers,

Magic
Old 09-26-2017, 09:06 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Thanks all! I had my camera with me, but left it in the hotel. (Doh!) Still, all the pictures you see were shot with an iPhone 6s, and I think several came out quite well. The perfect weather and Fall light didn't hurt, either...

Originally Posted by ilko
You're so lucky to live near these awesome roads and breathtaking scenery Mike! These pics remind me of the fun times we had there the last couple of years.
I am very lucky, indeed. I hope to see you - and your "new" RS - back down this way again soon!

Originally Posted by Holytin
Wish I would have known you are going - could have met you. Took the dual-sport Sunday to ride the Park Way. Let me know next time. Best!
There were LOTS of bikes on the Parkway this past weekend. The weather really was pretty much perfect. I'll certainly keep you in mind the next time I'm out that way!

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Great pics! Hmmmmmmmmmm...Maybe we could make a Rennlist 993-only event later on this Fall or in the Spring.
I'm liking this idea! I may not make it back out west the rest of this year, but maybe we should start thinking about a spring drive. I'd be happy to do some planning legwork!

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 09-26-2017 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

It is awesome down around Asheville. We were there 2 weeks ago and the BRP was closed from hurricane damage. We were actually walking on it for a few miles but I cant post the pic for some reason...
Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyC2
Thanks all! I had my camera with me, but left it in the hotel. (Doh!) Still, all the pictures you see were shot with an iPhone 6s, and I think several came out quite well. The perfect weather and Fall light didn't hurt, either...

I am very lucky, indeed. I hope to see you - and your "new" RS - back down this way again soon!

There were LOTS of bikes on the Parkway this past weekend. The weather really was pretty much perfect. I'll certainly keep you in mind the next time I'm out that way!

I'm liking this idea! I may not make it back out west the rest of this year, but maybe we should start thinking about a spring drive. I'd be happy to do some planning legwork!
Count me in! Not to late to line up a fall drive - Indian Summer is just a few weeks away. And it will be gorgeous as every fall season...

Quick Reply: A great weekend drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway