Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally joined the club with RUF BTR-2 (long 69 pics.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003 | 09:39 PM
CP
Race Director

Default Finally joined the club with RUF BTR-2 (long 69 pics.)

Hi Folks,

Now that I finally own a 993, I feel worthy to join the club, so I signed up for 2 years this morning. Here's more on the car.

It’s been a long road, but the RUF-BTR-2 is finally home. This album at Imagestation contains 69 images of the car, including some unusual views at Port Huaneme. I grouped the pics roughly together, the exterior, the engine bay, the interior, the wheels, the RUF logos, the goodies that came with the car, etc. Hopefully this will help you find your favorite shots.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288391589

Now the write-up:

On Friday, 12-5-03, we drove down to Port Hueneme in my M5, collected the car and drove home in the RUF, so I have fresh comparisons between these two most capable cars. The RUF came over in the Tancred, which also disgorged over 300 Minis, some 250 of them were parked in rows of 25. Quite a sight, and I have some pics of that as well.

I only had the RUF for two days. Rain and other unforeseen circumstances kept me from getting to know the car better, but here are some initial observations. I of course love the look of the RUF. However, you’ll have to be your own judge in this very subjective matter. The car looks black. It actually is a very dark grey in daylight. It almost changes color like the Carbon Black in the M5.

Power: This car is truly a beast. The M5 is quick, but the RUF is decidedly quicker. The 426 dyno’ed HP, and the fact that the car carries 7 lbs/HP, does 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds say a lot about the power. It is VERY hard to keep this car under 85 mph. I have always said the M5 is a spoiler for other cars because of the immense torque at almost any RPM, yet the RUF is even stronger. I punched it at 85 MPH in 6th gear (a measly 2,900 RPM) and it just squirted to triple digits in the blink of an eye, all at RPMs before the turbo really kicks in. That is mind boggling. As RUF matches the gearing to the torque curve, turbo lag is minimal. However, I was coming out of a rest area and punched it in 2nd gear. At 3,800 RPM, my walkie-talkie flew into the rear seat area. The kick is truly awesome.

Throttle Response: really linear. It is very easy to hold steady speed with this car. With the RUF light-weight flywheel, it revs happily and is very easy to rev-match: a throttle blip will get you there. In the M5, I actually have to keep the foot on the gas to rev match.

Clutch/Shifting: The clutch is very firm. This will be a chore in stop/go traffic. However, the uptake point is high so I don’t have to floor the clutch to shift. The shift is butter-smooth, just like the Turbo S I drove. It engages very cleanly, and when in gear, has no sideway play at all. The M5 have about ½” slop and now seems unacceptable. Shifting the RUF is pure joy.

Brakes: The brake action is firm and INSTANT. The total brake pedal travel is but 2”, so it’s immediate, and the car stops NOW. I’m sure the braided steel brake lines help in the braking firmness. My only issue is that the pedal position is much too high to effectively do heel/toe action. I’ll get the pedal position adjusted.

Suspension: The RUF corners with much more confidence than the M5 on the same corners. Right around Buelton, there were a few freeway curves posted as 45 mph turns. The M5 showed substantial lean at 65-70 mph. The RUF sat planted at 85. Another amazing thing is that at 85-90 mph, in 6th gear, the RUF rides as plush, as quiet, and as compliant as the M5. I never expected a sports car with such cornering prowess to ride as plush as the RUF does. I would never take my Miata to LA, the RUF is no issue. This car does not beat me up at all.

Ergonomics: Gotta love those Recaro A-8 seats. They sit on a light-weight aluminum frame and plastic shell. The bottom is a piece of weaved fabric strung between the seat rails. However, the thigh, the buttock, the lower back and the shoulders are all fully and firmly supported. The 334 miles return trip was a breeze. The Tech Art dead pedal is perfectly positioned for the left foot. Even though the Recaros have no power adjustments, and the steering wheel is fixed, I have no problem finding a perfect driving position. The left door arm rest is high enough to maintain a 9/3 o’clock grip position. That is rare. The 14” full leather-wrapped Atiwa steering wheel has thumb rests that allow for great grips and very comfortable driving position.

Engine/exhaust note: The RUF exhaust, the air-cooled engine, and the big turbo combined for a symphony better than any music can deliver. On a long steep up-grade, I down-shifted from 6th to 4th, the resulting sound almost wetted my pants. I also went from 80 MPH to well over 100 in a blink of an eye. That’s an experience all car enthusiasts must have, at lease once. Every time I shift into neutral, the engine would blip itself and give me a quick ‘Vroooom…’ I love that. In 1st and 2nd gears, and high revs, the engine roar is the best I’ve ever heard, and I’ve ridden in Lamborghinis and Ferraris before.

I’m sure I will have more thoughts as I get to drive the car. I think this is quite enough for one thread for now. One concluding thought: I am a truly a lucky guy to own these two incredible cars.

Merry Christmas to you all. I know I will have one this year.

CP

Last edited by CP; 12-07-2003 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2003 | 10:00 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Smile

That is an incredible car. You are very lucky. Enjoy.

You are going to have to explain the cupholder in a RUF car?
Old 12-07-2003 | 10:24 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Great post and great pictures. As we've discussed off-line, I am green with (good) envy and will add that you deserve the pleasure you're going to get from this car for all the hard work and effort you put into bringing it to the USA. It looks as good as described and I'm really pleased for you!

Enjoy

Ciao
Old 12-07-2003 | 10:49 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations again Pong...

And thanks again for letting me drive it, Pong. It is truly a very very fast car, ... awesome
Old 12-07-2003 | 11:25 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

CP,

May I be you in my next life?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-07-2003 | 11:26 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

What a great post. Brought tears to my eyes.

I'd love to send my c4s to Ruf and have it converted to a Ruf Turbo R. Perhaps I'll have the extra $ 70k (and change) available before Ruf stops offering the conversion...
Old 12-08-2003 | 01:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

congrats CP, i am happy for you.
Old 12-08-2003 | 01:06 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

What a great post CP. And what a great car. Congratulations.

Chuck
Old 12-08-2003 | 01:10 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

WOW!!
So CP, what will be your first Mod?......only kidding! Great looking car
Old 12-08-2003 | 01:19 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally posted by Rohan Nath
What a great post. Brought tears to my eyes.

I'd love to send my c4s to Ruf and have it converted to a Ruf Turbo R. Perhaps I'll have the extra $ 70k (and change) available before Ruf stops offering the conversion...
Rohan,

I believe if you start with a C4S, you'd get a BTR-4 back. You start with a 993tt, you'd get the Turbo R. I don't know if you can get a Turbo R from a C4S though.

If indeed you're getting a BTR back (like mine), the total cost is probably in the $50k range. My PO did his conversion in August 2000, and he did quite a bit of extras: Recaro A8 seats, Titanium innerds, Aero mirrors and body works, gold package etc. His costs were $62k for the whole thing. So if you just do the basic BTR package, it may come in at $50k or so. But then you'd basically end up with a new car mechanically.

Good luck on whatever path you choose.

CP
Old 12-08-2003 | 01:23 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally posted by Phil McGrath
WOW!!
So CP, what will be your first Mod?......only kidding! Great looking car
Phil,

My mods? I think I'll follow my master's footsteps, and try to return this car back to stock. Only thing is that I may not be able to afford it though, especially if I tabulate my costs.

Thanks.

CP
Old 12-08-2003 | 02:32 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations CP. This is probably the only car I've ever seen where I like the gold accents, they set it off very well. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 12-08-2003 | 02:49 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

aaaaaaawesome! The car looks sweet. We'll have to set up a drive soon.
Old 12-08-2003 | 03:16 AM
24FPS
Drifting

hey "cp" ----------> so psyched for you. i remember reading your early posts as you were poising for purchase etc.

so cool you're in it!!!

but....damn... i'd be afraid of getting arrested in that monster! i would not be able to control my heavy-foot! keep us posted re: future track experiences... etc. love to hear a report.

btw: keep the yellow/gold accents... they're true to the car. (i remember an earlier post)

good on 'ya & welcome.

ps- fyi: get a great, great alarm etc. (if you don't have one already)... there was a post on the "tt" forum re: a "ruf" theft in n. hollywood.
Old 12-08-2003 | 03:36 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

CP, it's always great to hear that such a fantastic car has ended up with such an enthusiastic owner! Congrats

Quick Reply: Finally joined the club with RUF BTR-2 (long 69 pics.)