Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally joined the club with RUF BTR-2 (long 69 pics.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003 | 06:03 AM
Autobahn
Pro

Congrats & Welcome to the Rennlist Members Club.
BTW, I am sure that all of your three digits driving was done on a closed circuit in Malaysia.
Old 12-08-2003 | 08:59 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Congratulations - very wise choice! Very beautiful indeed - except IMHO for those "americanised" bumperettes.
Old 12-08-2003 | 09:01 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

CP, Bad, bad car!! Very nice! I've never seen such awesome looking seats too. Thanks for the "write up", I felt I was riding in the car and feeling the "Gs" multiplies!
Old 12-08-2003 | 10:39 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Superb! Congratulations.
Old 12-08-2003 | 06:59 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally posted by emilios
Congratulations - very wise choice! Very beautiful indeed - except IMHO for those "americanised" bumperettes.
Actually, I didn't have much of a choice at all. This may be one of a handful of U.S. spec. BTRs in the world. Luck would have it that the previous owner put such an incredible car together, and I was fortunate to see his car and struck a deal.

It's pure luck on my part. The way I see it, most members here will jump on this car if they knew about it. I just happen the be the lucky one to find the car and do the deal.

I am thanking my lucky star since July that I found this car.

CP
Old 12-08-2003 | 07:29 PM
24FPS
Drifting

hey cp ---

where & how did you find the car? i'm beginning the search for a turbo.

thx

r.

ps- bet the waiting was the hardest... but well worth it.
Old 12-08-2003 | 07:54 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally posted by 24FPS
hey cp ---

where & how did you find the car? i'm beginning the search for a turbo.

thx

r.

ps- bet the waiting was the hardest... but well worth it.
Hi,

I actually was not looking for a RUF BTR to buy as I was not sure if any existed or was for sale. I was prepared to either get a 993TTS or a tt and mod it.

I was playing with Google one day in July, and typed in 'RUF BTR' and out popped a few pages of sites. On the fourth page, I saw an ad. listing 3 Porsches, a BMW, some tires, and a Porsche 'retirement' watch for sale. This car was on the site. I took down the e-mail address, and e-mailed the owner. I revisited the site in a few days and the contents were blank by then. In a few days, the owner replied, and the courtship was on.

I found out the car was in Germany, but it was an U.S. spec. car, yet RUF at Pfeffenhausen had done all the BTR conversion and more. That basically sealed the deal for me, as I know I have no DOT worries. My buddy in Heidelberg did my test drive, and RUF did the PPI and 30k miles service, and the car was in pristine condition. As it proved out upon delivery here.

I also retained Elite Auto Imports to handle my shipping and custom clearance.

http://www.eliteautoimports.com/

They did a turn-key job for me. Picked up car in Germany, transport to Bremerhaven for port, book the passage, prepare all U.S. custom paperworks etc. All I did was pay. I'm extremely happy with the convenience and assurance that I will not be stuck at custom. I have absolutely no affiliation with them, just a happy customer.

Now if you want a RUF BTR (for me, a regular 993TT just would not do any more by now), I'm not sure how many U.S. spec. cars are available in the world. However, you can probably find ROW cars with the conversions done in Germany, for a decent price too. If you are interested in going that route, PM me for details. However, that will be a grey market car. The added beauty of this particular RUF is that it is U.S. spec.

You are right that the wait was difficult. However, once we sealed the deal and the car was picked up, I felt at ease. Two things helped: I was real busy at work, and I have my M5 to tide me over. Now I have the car, the wait was worth it, IN SPADES. I'm the type that if I lust after something, I'd shoot for the best. With the RUF and the M5, I won't be lusting after any other car for a looooong looooooooong time.

So now you have the rest of the story.

Good luck.

CP

Last edited by CP; 12-09-2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:40 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Thumbs up yeah.

"With the RUF and the M5, I won't be lusting after any other car for a looooong looooooooong time" -CP

hey! i hear ya loud and clear! that is key!
also, looks like i've got some research to do as i'm not really into a "gray-market" car.

thank you... was just curious how you found such a gem!!!
Old 12-09-2003 | 12:57 AM
CP
Race Director

Hi Folks,

I forgot to mention the steering effort and road feel in RUF in the original thread.

The steering effort is what I call perfect. It feels heavy at slow speed, lightens up at high speed, but still require more effort than the M5, or any other car I now own. You know you are steering the car. The steering/cornering is pin-point and sharp as a tack. A little input results in instant directional change. It is rack and pinion at it's best.

Road feel is also excellent. The car and seat are so low compared to my other cars, it can't help but feel planted. However, the feel of being glued to the road is definitely very pronounced, especially in high speed corners.

CP
Old 12-09-2003 | 02:08 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Great move, CP. I have been saving up for a GT3 or maybe a Cayenne Diesel , but this is over the top!
Old 12-09-2003 | 08:09 AM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great pictures. Thanks for posting!
Old 12-11-2003 | 12:20 AM
superpat
Advanced

I bumped into CP (and his Ruf BTR) at CT Automotive in Campbell, CA today. Man, that's a fine looking car!

Tell you what, CP, I'll swap it for my '96 C4 Cab - I'll even get the top fixed for you

Pat
Old 12-11-2003 | 12:46 AM
CP
Race Director

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the kind words.

It was nice meeting you as well. You must be a very efficient person, to be able to locate your dream cab in such a short time. It took me almost 6 months to get my car AFTER I found it. You have a beautiful cab. You'll be in heaven in a few month's time here when the weather improves.

CP
Old 12-11-2003 | 01:46 AM
superpat
Advanced

Originally posted by CP
You must be a very efficient person, to be able to locate your dream cab in such a short time.
Just a little fortunate, and a trifle foolhardy, perhaps. There didn't seem to be any shortage of cabs when I looked - I drove 6 in a day, picked the best one, had it PPI'd and I was done.

I guess if your sights are set a little higher, the search is a little longer...

Cheers,

Pat
Old 12-11-2003 | 10:21 AM
Glen
Race Car

CP, very nice, congrats! The perfect car for the drive to the Tides, La Travina and the Hess! Way to go Bro!! Keep us posted on the adventure.

Quick Reply: Finally joined the club with RUF BTR-2 (long 69 pics.)