Sponsored by:

Adj Drop Links

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Adj Drop Links

Been going back and forth on the idea of upgrading my sways to either M030 or RS. I'm pretty happy with the way my car handles now with the KW's installed but i wouldn't mind flatter cornering. I know that thicker sways would accomplish this, but at the sacrafice of a stiffer ride, which i'm not sure i want.

I was browsing Elephant's site and come across their adjustable drop links. They say:
"The ideal swaybar is completely unloaded at static ride height. Stock drops links almost always preload the swaybar since the car doesn’t sit perfectly level due to asymmetries such as driver weight.Our front and rear adjustable-length drop links for C4/C2 allow you to eliminate preload of the swaybar for maximum performance.

A preloaded swaybar shifts the weight carried by each of the tires, increasing grip on weighted tires at the expense of decreasing grip on un-weighted tires. This shifted weight/grip causes uneven handling in left and right turns, and premature brake lockup since the less-loaded tire locks up first. Preload can be completely eliminated by adjusting drop link length and swaybar performance optimized."

So, this leads me to my question. Would the addition of adjustable drop links be a noticeable improvement in handling if used with stock sway bars?
Old 09-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Been going back and forth on the idea of upgrading my sways to either M030 or RS. I'm pretty happy with the way my car handles now with the KW's installed but i wouldn't mind flatter cornering. I know that thicker sways would accomplish this, but at the sacrafice of a stiffer ride, which i'm not sure i want.

I was browsing Elephant's site and come across their adjustable drop links. They say:
"The ideal swaybar is completely unloaded at static ride height. Stock drops links almost always preload the swaybar since the car doesn’t sit perfectly level due to asymmetries such as driver weight.Our front and rear adjustable-length drop links for C4/C2 allow you to eliminate preload of the swaybar for maximum performance.

A preloaded swaybar shifts the weight carried by each of the tires, increasing grip on weighted tires at the expense of decreasing grip on un-weighted tires. This shifted weight/grip causes uneven handling in left and right turns, and premature brake lockup since the less-loaded tire locks up first. Preload can be completely eliminated by adjusting drop link length and swaybar performance optimized."

So, this leads me to my question. Would the addition of adjustable drop links be a noticeable improvement in handling if used with stock sway bars?
Depends on if you have preload and if so, how much. I considered adjustable links (I'd had them on my previous 964) but when I updated my suspension and re-connected the links, there was no preload - I could place both links easily in the holes with my hands. So, adjustable links would be wasted on me. I did get newer front links that are a little stiffer, but I can't imagine it made much difference. Only reason I did so was because my old links had torn boots and were going bad.

Theoretically, Elephant's marketing copy is correct. In practice I don't think adjustable links are necessary for street use. Maybe if you have an adjustable bar it makes it easier to hit each hole? That's the only reason I can think of to get them.

As for selecting a bar, I have the M030 and love it. Perfect balance of roll stiffness without taking away too much suspension compliance. I've run stiffer bars on a previous 911 and while I loved it for the track, I hated it for street use.

Also you can use your KW damping setting to reduce body roll - more damping will reduce roll, at the cost of suspension compliance of course.
The following users liked this post:
joerg65 (04-24-2021)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:33 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Depends on if you have preload and if so, how much. I considered adjustable links (I'd had them on my previous 964) but when I updated my suspension and re-connected the links, there was no preload - I could place both links easily in the holes with my hands. So, adjustable links would be wasted on me. I did get newer front links that are a little stiffer, but I can't imagine it made much difference. Only reason I did so was because my old links had torn boots and were going bad.

Theoretically, Elephant's marketing copy is correct. In practice I don't think adjustable links are necessary for street use. Maybe if you have an adjustable bar it makes it easier to hit each hole? That's the only reason I can think of to get them.

As for selecting a bar, I have the M030 and love it. Perfect balance of roll stiffness without taking away too much suspension compliance. I've run stiffer bars on a previous 911 and while I loved it for the track, I hated it for street use.

Also you can use your KW damping setting to reduce body roll - more damping will reduce roll, at the cost of suspension compliance of course.
It's not so much making it "easier" to hit each hole but rather gives the ability to hit each hole on an adjustable sway bar.

Depending on setup, I've seen RS drop links that could not access the firmest fitting of an RS sway bar. The Tarett and Elephant Racing adjustable drop links provide a solution to this issue.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:17 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

Good info. Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
What's interesting to me is that when I had my 964 with the same kw v3's, I had them set much softer then I do in my 993 and recall less body roll. Maybe it had to do wit the rear suspension differences between the two cars or maybe because the 964 was a C4.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:15 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Source and fab them yourself, for about $40 bucks, and be done with it! "Speedwaymotors".
Old 09-10-2017, 06:26 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Source and fab them yourself, for about $40 bucks, and be done with it! "Speedwaymotors".
I'd be curious as to how this is done considering the curvature of the adjustable RS drop link provided by elephant racing or Tarret? I know the heim joints can be sourced all day long, but the curved bar?

It wouldn't be a too much of a problem to source some 5/8" or 3/4" aluminum bar stock, drill and tap it, but then it would need to bent to the correct curvature to clear the lower arm.
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2017, 09:13 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I'd be curious as to how this is done considering the curvature of the adjustable RS drop link provided by elephant racing or Tarret?
Not on the RS bars, just the aftermarket, adj rear sways. But the adjustment, will help to eliminate any pre-load on a standard bar. :-)
Old 09-10-2017, 10:47 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Not on the RS bars, just the aftermarket, adj rear sways. But the adjustment, will help to eliminate any pre-load on a standard bar. :-)
Fabricating a set for a single setting sway bar would be easy peasy, but I thought we were talking about an adjustable sway bar...Hell I cant remember!

I would think any aftermarket adjustable sway bar would require a curved adjustable drop link in order to access all the settings. Of course this is dependent upon ride height, since a race setting would be a different story since ride height would be RS or lower.

My car is set to RS + 10 and I am running an adjustable RS sway bar with Elephant adjustable RS drop links. With the Porsche OEM non-adjustable RS drop links you can only access two of the three holes in the adjustable sway bar. Ask me how I know. ; ) Your setup would most likely be a different story based upon your ride height.

If the OP goes with M030 rear bars or turbo rear bars with the one setting, then fabbing your own would be simple...5/8" alum hex stock, drill and tap to desired thd pitch of the heim joints, add a half nut for locking the heim joints, done!

Last edited by nine9six; 09-10-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:42 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey Guys,

On a related topic, if one were to upgrade from OEM US ARBs to OEM M030 ARBs (22MM front, 20MM rear), what other upgrades are needed:

Assuming the following

1. Upgrade to PSS10 suspension kit (which include rear drop links)
2. 993 Turbo/C4/M030 front drop links (993-343-069-00, 993-343-070-00)
3. Upgrade front and rear ARB bushings (front front 96434379222 & rear 477411313C)

Thx
Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

You got it, that's all you need.

Quick Reply: Adj Drop Links